New Monitor...?
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

New Monitor...?

by beeb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my home monitor, as my current one isn't really that great, or have the ability to be calibrated even remotely accurately.

I'm reading that IPS panels seem to be the way to go as they provide a wide angle-of-view, and true colour reproduction, so I was thinking this looks like a good option:
    http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=1201&typeID=27

So, Anyone have any thoughts, or other suggestions? :)
  • pineblossom

Re: New Monitor...?

by pineblossom » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:18 pm

beeb wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my home monitor, as my current one isn't really that great, or have the ability to be calibrated even remotely accurately.

I'm reading that IPS panels seem to be the way to go as they provide a wide angle-of-view, and true colour reproduction, so I was thinking this looks like a good option:
    http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=1201&typeID=27

So, Anyone have any thoughts, or other suggestions? :)

Don't stuff around - but a mac and solve all your computer problems.

Seriously, it really beats me why people buy anything else.

Cheers, John
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: New Monitor...?

by beeb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:34 pm

pineblossom wrote:Don't stuff around - but a mac and solve all your computer problems.

Seriously, it really beats me why people buy anything else.

Cheers, John

Thank you for your 'entertaining' response.
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:54 pm

I agree IPS is the go. I don't think I can give specific model advice however...

I recently got the HP ZR2740w 27" IPS panel to connect to my macbook pro (via DisplayPort) and whilst I didn't put too much research into it I did have a few thoughts:
    - wanted IPS
    - wanted DisplayPort (so I could connect to MBP at full native res)
    - I'd read very favourable things about the Dell UltraSharp series IPS displays (e.g. the 27" one which you can often get for a very good price) - however the one complaint I saw was that the anti-glare coating was very very heavy - so I was after one which wasn't quite so
    D7000,D90,8-16/4.5-5.6,12-24/4,17-50/2.8,18-200/3.5-5.6,50/1.4,90/2.8 Macro,70-200/2.8,70-300/4.5-5.6,SB-900&600,Sirui N2204+K20x,Manfrotto 190+488,Benro MC-91+BH-1
    Rodney - My Photo Blog
    PPOK
    SundstromImages

by SundstromImages » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:22 pm

+ on the ips ...

I'm currently using a dell ips from a couple of years ago, it didn't require to much calibration and was much better than what I was using previously.

If you have the cash spring for one of the larger ultrasharps.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:54 am

get a mac and never look back :lol:

MacBook Pro screen is amazing 8) I often see faults in photos posted on forums that others cant to the point I don't bother commenting

This is how I calibrate my monitors and have tested against a Spyder 3 that seems totally useless on a mac and prefer the inbuilt calibration Maybe just personal preference ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gbxDwz0NM
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 am

LOZ wrote:get a mac and never look back :lol:

MacBook Pro screen is amazing 8) I often see faults in photos posted on forums that others cant to the point I don't bother commenting

Macs are generally a gloss finish over the monitors aren't they? If so they're not for me. But nevertheless, the Mac's screen reputation preceeds them - I think they are also a IPS panel are they not?

Also, given they're all the same hardware these days, I don't see the value in paying a large premium over a windows PC. To me, the wider program availability, easily upgraded parts, and lower initial costs of the conventional PC seem to make more sense - each to their own though. :wink:
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 am

Mac

Simple elegant efficient stable
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 am

The newer iMacs have a sheet of glass over the monitor and yes it does tend to show any glare if there's any to be had.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • kangas

by kangas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 pm

beeb, what did you finish up getting, the asus one?

i am looking at upgrading my monitor aswel

Thanks

kangas
    " No Worries "

kangas
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:38 pm

kangas wrote:beeb, what did you finish up getting, the asus one?

i am looking at upgrading my monitor aswel

Thanks

kangas

I'm disappointed to say I haven't got anything as yet kangas...

Going from reviews, the Asus seems to have difficulty showing true blacks (there's always some light present from the backlight, so the blacks appear dark grey), and the Dells seem to have an anti-glare coating that is not to everyone's taste (lots of complaints the screen looks "dusty" even when perfectly clean...).

Also there's heaps of complaints about Dells build quality and customer service, so that's a large issue.

For the money these mobs are asking, I'm yet to find a something I'm willing to shell out the dollars for...
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 am

....... have it all in one..... get an iMac

.......I am running iMac 27-inch with additional 27 inch screen, both profiled and printing on large format printer. What I see on screen appears on print within 5-10%. This adjustment can be further corrected with the printer driver. I only do so on darker, and rather bright images.

It is important to have a colour profiled monitor to obtain the best results for your images. Yes I do over saturate some of my images but only for web viewing, as this is a personal choice.
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
  • tifkat

What about your video card?

by tifkat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi,

I've also been waiting to get one of these same panels. One of the things I want in a monitor is a display port, because display ports can do 30-bit colour (3 channels of 10-bit as opposed to 8-bit). Of course you need a videocard with displayport out to use this.

I'd be keen to know if these reviews were using DVI or display port in their testing, and whether or not that would make a difference. I'm guessing it's not too hard to make a black acreen, regardless of how many bits you're shovelling down the pipe. Also I guess it's worth looking at what their working environment was (complete blackness, bright light, subdued studio kind of lighting) when this observation was made. Was the observation of 'grey blacks' made by a single observer, or is it consistantly commented on by people owning this panel? Seriously, in decent lighting I doubt you'd notice it. Also, you get what you pay for. Want the ultimate display? Be prepared to pay thousand of dollars, not hundreds.

I guess the deciding factor really is how do the prints come out. Everyone's monitor is different, and most of them are crap... It's the correlation between the display and the print that you really need to worry about.

I want to get on of these just based on the stuff I've hear, even if the blacks may have some minor amount of light... anything's got to be better than my Samsung SyncMaster 940N. :-D (yes that's why you haven't seen anything out of my D7000 yet). I also want a 16:10 ratio monitor.. sick of all these 16:9 'tv's everyone's flogging.
    Nikon D7000 + 18-105mm VR kit lens.