A mac question
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

A mac question

by Busiboy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 am

Ok, so my usually bullet proof Mac is having issues.

Probably due to what I have done, I upgrade the RAM from the bog stock to 16GB, I had a dud chip, sent that back, got it replaced. But I am still having issues with stability.

I get hard restart error messages, unexpected quitting, safari sometimes won't load properly etc.

Do I have another dud chip or is there something that I have done or could do? I had trouble shooting steps from the manufacturer, I dod those origionally, but short of removing all chips and re installing one by one I'm not sure what else to do

Tips and advice please? I love my mac and I just wanted it to go fast, real fast :twisted:
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 am

Take it to the doctor and have him look at it. I would never fiddle inside myself but you have find that the RAM needs to be paired with the same style chip in each opposite slot. They know all these things which prevents all these kind of mishaps.

If you REALLY want to go fast, try using solid state hard disk.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 am

Did you check compatibility tables? I know the MacBooks can be finicky about brands.
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:51 am

Last time I was in the shop I asked them to do it, he said my machines RAM wasn't stocked as it wasn't the current models stock. He also said I should do it myself, it is 3 screws and a small panel comes off, exposing the slots, from there you pull the old ones, push in the new ones and it should be good to go. I had a less tech savvy friend of mine do it and she has hers working fine. I thought it might be a leopard issue and was tempted to go to Lion but I have heard it isn't a great idea. I haven't put the cover back on, but doubt that would be causing these issues.

The ram is all the same batch, I pulled all the chips and put in all new matching ones, so that shouldn't be the problem. For a while I even ran one of the old chips with 3 new ones and it performed ok. I think it is a dud chip, just not sure which one.

I'm going to pull them all again tonight, much to my annoyance, blow the slots out with a pressure can of air from officeworks and try again. sigh
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    boggy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by boggy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:51 am

Take all the New RAM out and go back to were you started, If its OK, then put one by one back in and see what fails.. It's a slow process, but the only way.

Good Luck

Cheers

Boggy
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 am

JazzXP wrote:Did you check compatibility tables? I know the MacBooks can be finicky about brands.

I upgraded via ramcity.com.au a decent mob to deal with, replaced the first chip no problems. To buy from them you go through the steps of identifying your computer through their site and it then lists the available packs to upgrade, I have confirmed all this since my first bug, I have the right gear.

They claim to buy their chips from the same supplier as apple, but as apple do theirs instore and won't let you take it home for a couple of days he said they go through all the pain themselves internally.

Probably why I paid 190 for an upgrade option that was more than triple at the time of purchase.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:52 pm

I upgraded my MBP from 4GB to 8GB (won't take 16GB) with a Kingston memory kit, no problems. I'd also suggest going back to original RAM and then replacing one SIMM at a time.

The other thing to check is hard drive integrity. Run the disk verify and see what comes up.

Now if you want disaster, my iMac's logic board has failed and I am now waiting for a new model to be released [hopefully] in the next few weeks. Fault finding was a very slow process, check ram, check graphic card, check hdd etc :(
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*