lightroom 4 cpu usage
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

lightroom 4 cpu usage

by vlt87kal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 pm

hey guys my problem is after using lightroom 4 for a small amount of time i get warning pop ups from my laptop protection saying my cpu usage is 100% has anybody encountered this problem??? it then slows my computer down and starts fouling up
    All Comments Welcome.......
    *PPOK*
    CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: lightroom 4 cpu usage

by CraigVTR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm

I have only been using Lightroom for a couple of months and have not seen this problem on either the desktop or laptop. Very strange.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:24 pm

i havent used it for about a month and a half and have today updated to 4.3 im using it atm so il reply here if it happens again
    *PPOK*
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 pm

its high memory usage! arghhhh
    *PPOK*
    Chris Sitnik

by Chris Sitnik » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:23 am

Windows based? What kind of laptop? No way should it load up like that unless you're running something prehistoric. Do the old ctrl alt delete when it plays up, open the task manager and see what's using all your resources.
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:42 pm

im not to sure what u meen mate but i hit cntrl+alt+delete and under process in the task manager my lightroom is using roughly over 400,000k of memory all my other things running are using no more then 88,000 is my next highest, the laptop is about a year old, windows 7, i never use to have this problem with lightroom, and it only jumps in usage after using it for a little while, could it be somthing to do with full hard drive? or somthing?? i have no idea :grrpsycho:
    *PPOK*
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Lightroom loads images into memory as you use them, plus thumbnails of the "page" you're on so you can scroll up and down the page and not have to wait for thumbs to load.

As long as you have enough memory to cover it that should be fine. 100% CPU usage however is something else entirely and is not related to memory usage.

Do you have any third party plugins installed for Lightroom?

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:30 pm

just photomatix mate i rarely use it though
    *PPOK*
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 am

gota love a mac
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    evat601

by evat601 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 am

vlt87kal wrote: i never use to have this problem with lightroom, and it only jumps in usage after using it for a little while, could it be somthing to do with full hard drive? or somthing?? i have no idea :grrpsycho:

You mention here that your hard drive may be full. If it is, you will find your brand new(ish) laptop running like snot. Windows operating systems often use the hard drive as a sort of "memory extender" i.e. use spare space on the hard drive to swap information in and out.

The computer as a whole will run rubbish, but this will be particularly noticeable with high utilisation applications (i.e. Lightroom).

Unfortunately for us Windows users, it is best to have a few GIG spare space on your Operating System harddrive to ensure that your computer works best.

Hopefully this helps you out......
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 am

iv cleared it up a bit so room isnt my issue either...
    *PPOK*
  • Nitnat

by Nitnat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 am

Have you tried doing a reboot and then just opening lightroom and starting work?
    Reason I am asking, is if you have been in and out of several programs. Some of them may not have closed properly and/or still have crap leftover in your cache.

However, as you mentioned you looked in active processes and it is by far the highest usage program. Perhaps you may have to limit how much you are doing at once to better suit your laptops performance?

Another thing it could be (and I don't think this would be it, cause I am unsure on how much lightroom would need rendering etc) update your graphics drivers. It might possibly be a clash between the latest version of lightroom and the drivers that you have installed. (as I said, I don't know if display drivers are heavily utilised in programs like lightroom)
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

i did a performance check and graphics score was higher then average... do you guys leave ur photos on ur laptop or transfer ALL to external harddrives and delete from laptop?
    nitnat- even if i just turned my pc on for the first time without using anything else i still get this problem
    Last edited by vlt87kal on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    *PPOK*
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi vlt87kal

click on " windows start button "
    then "system and security or system icon "
    then view processor and installed ram ( it should say unused ram also)
    then look at "start" then "computer" and see how many gig the hard drive is and how much is free space

copy these details and post them please

all background programs (especially some of the internet security programs) will eat at the ram usage (you can add more ram cheaply) and may need to be set not to start up when windows does (obviously not the security programmes) through each programs settings

all imaging software programmes drain system resources in a huge fashion and a hard drive that is even nearly full will strain to keep up with imaging software. (especially if there is a weak link in the resources the computer has at its disposal)

I doubt a few gig spare on the hard drive will be enough and personally would want 50 gig or more for imaging software

I was given a rough analogy once so here is how it was explained to me
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    your computer is basically a multi storey car park (hard drive storage)

the processor speed is the maximum speed your cars can drive at

the ram is the amount of lanes in and out of the car park

So when the carpark is less than half full cars go in driving at the speed they are made for , find an empty space and park easilly

when its 3/4 full the cars drive in and looking for an empty space at nearly their full speed ( there is a few other cars looking for spaces now and the easiest/closest spaces are full) they eventually find a park

when its 90% full ,there is a back up at the gate as someone has to come out before any others can go in , when they go in they cannot use the speed they are capable of as its too crowded , the cars spend time stuck behind others that are parking , and there are cars backtracking as they cannot find a park easily

so extra RAM (being lanes in and out), as with processor speed is useless if it cannot be utilised but is great when there is lots of room but becomes redundant or hampered way before the hard drive is actually full.

you could also insert a sd card and in its options that pop up you can "use it to speed up your system" ( may not help much)

(There is my 2 cents worth anyhow)

father xmas was good this year and I now have photoshop cs 8.0 (whatever that is) to load onto my computer so Im in the same boat and busy moving everything onto an external drive before I double the 8 gig of ram I have. I have also got rid of my old internet security as it slowed me down heaps with .dll progs running in the background and loaded a free trial of a cloud based internet security programme to free up more ram

good luck ( sounds like a right pain in the donkey )

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:29 pm

that helped alot thanks mate breaking it down into a carpark workss well....
    im not 100% if this is what ur after but here goes,
    Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.80 GB Usable)
    *PPOK*