any linux users?
  • liferider

any linux users?

by liferider » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm

i'm using ubuntu feisty fawn, well trying to anyway, i hate windows and its slowness.

i've got a amd dual core x2 processor, which is a 1.8 dual or something like that i cant remember the exact specs, 2gig dual ram, some 700 or 800 in hdd space and windows just gets slower and slower, i used to have to format every couple of months till i started using zone alarm.

i'm trying to make a more permanent switch to ubuntu, but am finding it a bit limited with software.

anyone here use alternatives to windows and what sort of programs are you using??
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but I dont have a clue what you are on about. :oops: :oops:
    cowsgomoo
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: any linux users?

by cowsgomoo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32 pm

liferider wrote:i'm using ubuntu feisty fawn,

A small dear from Africa? :shock:
    David

*** PPOK ***
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet

by greyko » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:26 pm

I use an alternative to Windows, Tiger! Soon to use Leopard. Very few limits with software. :D

A friend of mine is trying to use linux for much the same reason you are, and is finding issues with software, especially photo related.
    While he can use gimp, there's a lot of features it doesn't have which he'd like and there's just no alternative.
    His last project was writing his own HDR software to run under linux after completing what he thought was a more efficient blur tool.

I think in the end, depending on what you're doing, you're going to get the most functionality out of a Windows or Mac machine, especially if you're wanting to run photo editing software.
    Colcam
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: any linux users?

by Colcam » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm

liferider wrote:i'm trying to make a more permanent switch to ubuntu, but am finding it a bit limited with software.
    anyone here use alternatives to windows and what sort of programs are you using??

There actually is a lot of software available and most of it is good. Photoshop freaks do have a small problem for sure, although the Gimp is good. I believe it has a version called Gimpshop which is supoosed to be a PS lookalike. Could be worth a look. Until then, it is a dual boot situation or two systems with a KVM switch box between them and one monitor. Linux for the internet and stuff and Win for Photoshop. Either that or a Mac machine.

On the Linux operating system, Ubuntu seems to be the best of the bunch at present.
    Col
    Photography, The Art of Seeing Not Just Looking
    http://www.frozentime.com.au
    keith_h
    Cadet
    Cadet

by keith_h » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:14 pm

I was using Xandros which came with a a product called Cross Over (http://www.codeweavers.com/), a commercial implementation of Wine, itself a Linux port of the WIN32 API. Hence you could run Photoshop no problems.

However, it ran in its own space which meant it did not directly share the linux file system. This was a while back it might be different now.

Anyway an option I suppose if you want to go that way.
    KeithImage
    Keith & Joans Gallery
    PP friendly.
  • liferider

by liferider » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 pm

i've got a friend that is a linux nut and have tried several different distros including debian, kubuntu, ubuntu, knoppix and thats all i can think of.

i've used gimp but didnt try gimpshop.

i've got a laptop that i won, it is very basic but have put ubuntu on it mainly because it has vista on it, and even having upgraded to 1gig ram, it is not very good in vista, though in ubuntu its very smooth.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 am

I use Ubuntu on some of my PCs But i find for photo editing the windows software is still easiest to deal with.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    blinkblink

by blinkblink » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Unfortunately, I have to use Windows for work as we have a product that is developed using .Net. :(

I did convert my wife's laptop to Ubuntu. She thinks it's fine. Her needs are fairly simple tho.

I do run Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox).

Gimp works fine as does Open Office.
  • liferider

by liferider » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:39 pm

i've been using ubuntu a bit more lately, and have tried virtual box, which i dont mind. i might look at running virtual box a bit more permanently.

gutsy gibbon has really come a long way and the way it handles compiz-fusion is just flawless. my crappy onboard 6100 handles it like a charm, i can just imagine a decent card.

heres a screeny.
  • Rob1lol

by Rob1lol » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:14 pm

I use linux for pretty much everything these days, a big fan of ubuntu as a desktop OS.

Gutsy is great, rolls up most of the common feisty "hacks".

I've got a windows machine aswell, but I've installed pidgin, xchat, the gimp and perl onto it, just to make it feel a bit more like /home :wink:

Good to see more people starting to give linux and open source software a serious go.
    blinkblink

by blinkblink » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:34 am

I've been using Kubuntu as I like the interface better. It's the same operating system just a different user interface.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed May 09, 2012 12:22 am

Since we have been digging up some old threads lately, I thought I would recycle this one to highlight the latest release of Ubuntu 12.4 Stable release and also the release of TheGimp v2.8 !( finally after waiting for 3.5 years!)

I am fully back on linux again after about a year on Window...nice to be home :-)
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 am

I just cant understand why people put themselves through so much strife and despair and rubbish . I have also heard that some users say its a payback to Windows wow Gates must be shivering in his sleep with worry.
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed May 09, 2012 9:08 am

Loz,

I reckon that the expresion, "There is one born every minute!", greatly underestimates the truth of the situation.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi