Colour rendition / management - HELP!!!
    leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

Colour rendition / management - HELP!!!

by leek » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:10 pm

OK... this problem is difficult to explain and even more difficult to illustrate because the very process of illustrating makes it worse :-) so bear with me...

After recent complaints about the orange colour of some of my models' skin I decided to see what I could do to improve my technique... However, when I opened one of the offending images in Photoshop, I noticed that the skin wasn't as orange as on Flickr and actually looked pretty natural...
    All sorts of possible reasons entered my head, and I tried to eliminate them one by one...

To cut a long story short, if I open the 800x534 JPG which has a sRGB profile in Photoshop (and yes I preserved the embedded sRGB profile), it looks like this: (N.B. the same issue has made this image more orange than the way I see it on my screen)
    and if I open the same image locally in IE, it looks like this (except this is double Orange due to the same problem):

Can anyone suggest how / why this might be happening? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I've bounced it off a couple of wise people already and they haven't managed to figure it out...

I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help solve it...
    How to I avoid turning my models into Oompah Loompahs?
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
    wulos
    Cadet
    Cadet

by wulos » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm

I know this will raise a hell of a lot more questions then it answers, but what the hell.....
    The following page is worth a read.(note the colour profiling & tagging bits...)
    http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_pag ... iles.html#

When ya get it all worked out let me know so I can sort it out myself lol
    Big Red
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Red » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 am

host it on imageshack.us or photobucket or something and see if it gets served up better on there ...

i am presuming it looks fine on your home computer and in print.
    photoboy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by photoboy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am

I am a simple man with only a crude symbolic understanding of such things :roll: but for what it's worth my meager understanding is thus ....

For the most part web browers are not color managed applications - they do not read and apply the color space specification which you have so carefully embedded into the file ... they simply open the file and do their own thing.

This is evil and must be stopped :twisted:

For any image sent to web - ultimately to be viewed on an LCD/CRT using an un-managed application - it is important to "map" the ICC color profile information onto the actual pixel data of the file so that when the browser opens, it the color resembles the data+ICC rendering that a proper color managed application would give (eg photoshop).

This is done by assigning the color space to the file (different to embedding it). In PS try this:

edit>assign profile, select profile sRGB, save the file.

Hope this works for you

PC
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    "chance" favours the prepared mind ...
    leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

by leek » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:32 am

Big Red wrote:host it on imageshack.us or photobucket or something and see if it gets served up better on there ...

i am presuming it looks fine on your home computer and in print.

It's not a hosting issue Shane... both of those images were displaying the file locally on my PC.
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
  • fillum

by fillum » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:59 pm

John, I noticed on the original image posted that the red channel looks to have blown out. Maybe this is causing a colour shift in the skin tone towards orange. I assume that the conversion to sRGB is boosting the reds to the point where they are clipped.

Of course this doesn't explain why you get different coloured images. Perhaps PS is able to compensate for the blown red channel whereas the browser can't? (I can't get my brain around all this colorspace stuff :? )

Cheers.
    Phil.