raw converting??
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

raw converting??

by vlt87kal » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

iv been recently shooting in fine and raw on my d5000 and i open the raw file using ps elements 9 play around with the pic for a while then wen im done i go to save as jpeg....... is this converting it from raw or not??
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 am

Yes. You cannot save a Raw file when you have done work on it you must save it as another file type usually jpeg for most people or Tif if you want maximum file info preserved.
    Think of a raw file as a film negative. With a negative you have to print to get a picture. With a Raw file you have to save to get a usable file format.
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:33 am

Note also that Fine, Normal, Basic, etc don't apply to RAW - those settings only apply when you're shooting in JPEG (it reflects the level of compression you are using); if we're being complete the Large, Medium & Small also don't apply to RAW (they are always at full resolution).
    D7000,D90,8-16/4.5-5.6,12-24/4,17-50/2.8,18-200/3.5-5.6,50/1.4,90/2.8 Macro,70-200/2.8,70-300/4.5-5.6,SB-900&600,Sirui N2204+K20x,Manfrotto 190+488,Benro MC-91+BH-1
    Rodney - My Photo Blog
    PPOK
    RayJ
    Reporter
    Reporter

by RayJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am

I always shoot RAW and after making adjustments in Capture NX2 (Nikon RAW converter), and save it as a RAW file. That way I can continue to make adjustments at a later stage.
    I also keep 2 copies of the original unadjusted RAW file
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:19 pm

Any changes to RAW files done in Adobe programs (Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom) will write them in a sidecar file *.XMP, think of it as a history of all your changes (white balance, exposure, crop, rotate...) leaving the RAW file untouched, later on, if you reopen that file you can continue from where you left it, start from scratch or half way. The advantage is that *.xmp are cross platform (as opposed to one software's database), you can start working on a Windows machine, next day finish on a MAC or just on a different computer if needed.
    When you export to JPG you will get the end result (cropped, rotated...) so keeping the original JPGs and the new ones exported from RAW can create confusion.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:39 pm

ah yer i c now.... cheers guys
    photoboy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by photoboy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:22 am

Yea - but those sidecar files (.XMP) are a real headache to manage ... you have to keep them along with the RAW files in the same directory and when moving or backing up large batches of files they are a BIG pain.

An alternative is to convert your RAW into Adobe DNG (digital negative) files; this embeds the original RAW and XMP into one file - much more convenient ... but BEFORE anyone says it; YES you are "locked" into a Proprietry file format but if your workflow is PS or Lightroom then this doesn't matter :-)

PC
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    "chance" favours the prepared mind ...
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 am

photoboy wrote:Yea - but those sidecar files (.XMP) are a real headache to manage ... you have to keep them along with the RAW files in the same directory and when moving or backing up large batches of files they are a BIG pain.

An alternative is to convert your RAW into Adobe DNG (digital negative) files; this embeds the original RAW and XMP into one file - much more convenient ... but BEFORE anyone says it; YES you are "locked" into a Proprietry file format but if your workflow is PS or Lightroom then this doesn't matter :-)

PC

This is what I do now, convert to dng when importing from the card, the files are slightly larger but I was worried that in future versions of PS wouldn't support the older raw files. It takes a bit longer to download but I hit the import button and go do something else and come back in a few minutes and it's all done.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 am

Busiboy wrote:
    photoboy wrote:Yea - but those sidecar files (.XMP) are a real headache to manage ... you have to keep them along with the RAW files in the same directory and when moving or backing up large batches of files they are a BIG pain.

PC

This is what I do now, convert to dng when importing from the card, the files are slightly larger but I was worried that in future versions of PS wouldn't support the older raw files. It takes a bit longer to download but I hit the import button and go do something else and come back in a few minutes and it's all done.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but then thought to myself, when has Adobe dropped support for an older format. I think you'll be right keeping them in the native RAW format (should be NEF for cool people 8) )
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

The size of the *.XMP files is negligible, and once they are in the same folder the backup process doesn't add any more steps.
    What one should get out of this is there are many different workflows, file types to use with advantages/disadvantages, no one can claim he's got the best one just the best for his needs.

It pays to experiment a lot and try different workflows to see what suits you especially if you start fresh with RAW files.

I just changed mine :D
    C & C , PPOK welcome
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Remorhaz wrote:Note also that Fine, Normal, Basic, etc don't apply to RAW - those settings only apply when you're shooting in JPEG (it reflects the level of compression you are using); if we're being complete the Large, Medium & Small also don't apply to RAW (they are always at full resolution).

You can't shoot in small or medium RAW?

Oh right, you shoot Nikon :P

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 am

Dalzine wrote:

Dale.

And what brand can shoot small or medium RAW then?
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:22 am

K1W1 wrote:
    Dalzine wrote:

Dale.

And what brand can shoot small or medium RAW then?

My 5d2's shoot small, medium and full raw. 10mp 15mp and 21mp (dont quote me on exact figures). As does the 1d4.
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Just for your benefit you might like to know that Nikon cameras will do the same thing but you are not really getting s,m and l RAW what you are actually doing is only using a fraction of the available sensor pixels to create what is at best a sub standard image.
    Why did you invest in a 22MP camera if you only want to use 10MP (medium size) or 5MP (small size) to create your images?
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Probably because you don't always need the full resolution and there are many other benefits of shooting raw
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott