Nik Silver Effex
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Nik Silver Effex

by Busiboy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Does anyone use it? Have thought son it, is it worth the money? Apart from giving film like properties to digital files, does it make a nicer B&W than by tinkering with PS (for rank amateurs like me :D )
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 am

There's stuff all that you can't do in Photoshop. Why pay to use other folks' pre-sets when you can distinctively find your own?

Save the money and invest in practice.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 am

Yes, been using it for a while. Very happy with it. W.G. Is correct you can do it all in photoshop, but not as quickly. Also the plug-ins work for Aperture and Lightroom. I use Aperture and I am finding I am using PS less and less and really only going to it when I need layers
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
    RayJ
    Reporter
    Reporter

by RayJ » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Best way to find out is to download a trial version and take it for a spin
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Ray

Sound advice, I did download the trial, stuffed around, the finished product was very similar to a straight desaturation.

Walter I had a play with some of the film presets, fuji neopan 100 seemed my favorite, care to comment on the film itself?

Dmtd5 I think it's not a bad black and white conversion tool, but unless you are using the presets I don't know if it's much quicker.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Busiboy wrote:Walter I had a play with some of the film presets, fuji neopan 100 seemed my favorite, care to comment on the film itself?

Scott,

I simply adore the film if it is the one I am thinking of. It is marketed as Acros and last time I bought 120 Acros it was much cheaper than anything else.

Here are some 6x12 negs shot on Acros.

You can see in this selection that it maintains great tonal separation both in Highlight and Shadow detail. The two Macquarie Bath House pics were developed in Rodinal and stand developed for an hour. The other two were run through Diafine and given 4 mins + 4 mins in the two baths.

Hope this helps illustrate the film,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi