Bars
  • Are black bars OK on wide images?

Total votes: 0
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Bars

by Plays with Light » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Not the bending the elbow type, but rather the ones you see on some imagery that's a tad wide.

What are folks thoughts on the addition of a black bar to the top and bottom of images that are really wide? I've been playing with cropping to cinematic 2.35:1 proportions for some shots from my recent trip and I quite like the extra-wide view for certain frames.

Yes, Walter, I know, it is actually 2.39:1, but I'll go with 2.35:1 as my image ratio for now, and yes, I know I have placed a cinematic ratio within a photographic one... :roll:

Anyway, here's a few examples so you can see what I mean.

Fill out the poll or comment, I'm interested in others opinions on the use of them and whether I should continue or jump ship before it's too late. I've never used them before today, so there's still that "novelty value" going around for me.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

_MG_1995-Edit-1-2.jpg

_MG_2052-Edit-12.jpg

_MG_2037-Edit-2-2.jpg
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Bars

by Doug » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 pm

I like it and I think it is effective with the pictures.

Only down side I can think of is that where I most commonly see this used is with pictures that have some comical or sappy inspirational quote printed in the black bands.
    Just for a moment I think"whats missing"? :)
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:01 pm

I vote "no"

I prefer a border or framing.

but that is just personal preference and I think it is just due to the bars giving me the "looking out the window feel"

eden

(I like the shots ,especially the last one and they remind me of Second Valley)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:20 am

I think the black is a distraction from the actual image, it doesn't add any value for me.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 am

I agree with Scott.
    The photos on their own are fine, but the thick black edges I don't like so it's a no from me
    David
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks to those that made the effort to voice an opinion through voting or words.

I think I worked out what it was that had me enjoying the bars presence, it came to me clearly, when I awoke this morning. A deep love of cinema and enjoying that at home with so many movies presented over the years in this format, with the bars at top and bottom of screen. It started when I got my first laserdisc player and widescreen TV, how ever long ago and my obsession with watching movies in the intended format that they were created with.

I was experiencing a Pavlovian response to the bars! Not the actual imagery. :oops:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.