What Lens???
  • Oneputts Bub

What Lens???

by Oneputts Bub » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and VERY new to photography..Actually I know virtually nothing about it but I’m keen to learn :) . I have a Canon EOS 400D and a few lenses, my biggest lens is a Canon EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 and to be honest I’m not that impressed with this lens.

I am on a pretty tight budget but was thinking of getting another lens and a TC as I want more zoom and quality (which is hard on a budget lol).

I have been looking at the Canon 70-300 IS and the Canon 70-200mm F4L USM ( used) however I am unsure which one of these (if at all) would be the way to go and if they are compatible with the old 400D .

Any advice / opinions on this would be appreciated.
    Oneputt's Bub and proud of it..miss you always Dad
    Mark675

by Mark675 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:09 pm

If you can stretch the budget for the F4L you will not be dissapointed.
    I have the same camera aswell and got mine for $800 new.
    It's my favourite lens other than my wide angle.
    Last edited by Mark675 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    400d 70-200F4L 10-20sigma 18-55+75-300kit

"I do not regret the things I have done but those I did not do"
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 pm

A very sincere welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Oneputts Bub

by Oneputts Bub » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Busiboy wrote:A very sincere welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Thanks Busiboy :)
    AJ
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: What Lens???

by AJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Canon club. All the cool people have them. 8)
    I can only imagine the look of bemused horror on Papa Smurfs face at his daughter coming on here as a "bloody Canon user". :lol:

Sadly I never got to meet him (Im in SouthOz) but he was one of the good guys and I "knew" him well both here and on Overlander. :cry:

Back to your question.....
    The new 70-300L is getting great reviews and as a newbie it will serve you well for a long time. I have the 70-200F4L with IS and its a stellar lens and can highly recommend it if you want to spend the bit extra.
    The 70-300 is 50% longer but the 70-200 is slightly "faster" so is better for action or low light conditions.

Oneputts Bub wrote:Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and VERY new to photography..Actually I know virtually nothing about it but I’m keen to learn :) . I have a Canon EOS 400D and a few lenses, my biggest lens is a Canon EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 and to be honest I’m not that impressed with this lens.

I am on a pretty tight budget but was thinking of getting another lens and a TC as I want more zoom and quality (which is hard on a budget lol).

I have been looking at the Canon 70-300 IS and the Canon 70-200mm F4L USM ( used) however I am unsure which one of these (if at all) would be the way to go and if they are compatible with the old 400D .

Andrew
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here: http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=10137

My photo website http://touring4x4.com
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/
    PP is OK
  • Oneputts Bub

Re: What Lens???

by Oneputts Bub » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:30 pm

AJ wrote:Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Canon club. All the cool people have them. 8)
    I can only imagine the look of bemused horror on Papa Smurfs face at his daughter coming on here as a "bloody Canon user". :lol:

Sadly I never got to meet him (Im in SouthOz) but he was one of the good guys and I "knew" him well both here and on Overlander. :cry:

Back to your question.....
    The new 70-300L is getting great reviews and as a newbie it will serve you well for a long time. I have the 70-200F4L with IS and its a stellar lens and can highly recommend it if you want to spend the bit extra.
    The 70-300 is 50% longer but the 70-200 is slightly "faster" so is better for action or low light conditions.

Oneputts Bub wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks AJ...and yes Papa smurf would most certainly be horrified I jumped the fence :lol: :lol: :lol:.....( if I could have got hold of his Nikon I would have :cry: ) and SA is a great place Dad and I lived there for many years 8)
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am

Of the 70-300 IS and the 70-200F4 L the 70-200 will give you a better quality image. If you need the extra length then the 70-300IS is a good lens, just not as good as the 70-200.

Make sure it's not the 75-300IS, I have one of those and I wouldn't trust it to hold down papers on my desk without stuffing it up. :shock:

A quick example of the 70-200F4 L
    I love this lens (121/365) by Dalzine, on Flickr

Dale.

Edit: Forgot to say that both lenses will work on your 400D with no problem, I used my 70-200F4 L on my old 400D for a few months before getting a 50D.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey- welcome Oneputt's daughter.

Did a number of shoots and outings with John and, like him, I'm a Nikon guy.

We got our D3's about the same time.

Can't help with the Canon questions though but I will admit that my son has a liking for the stuff also.

Enjoy your photography and the forum.
    Bob
    "Wake up and smell the pixels!"
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Bob G wrote:Hey- welcome Oneputt's daughter.

Can't help with the Canon questions though but I will admit that my son has a liking for the stuff also.

what are those young people thinking!

Cant help much with the C questions either !! :-) ... (Getting to be a theme ... There is a hint in there somewhere... ) but i have seen some photos from the Canon 70-200mm F4L USM and its a great lens!

PS : welcome !
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • Oneputts Bub

by Oneputts Bub » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 pm

heartyfisher wrote:
    Bob G wrote:Hey- welcome Oneputt's daughter.

what are those young people thinking!

Cant help much with the C questions either !! :-) ... (Getting to be a theme ... There is a hint in there somewhere... ) but i have seen some photos from the Canon 70-200mm F4L USM and its a great lens!

PS : welcome !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 am

Hey Welcome to the forum

I am really sorry but I must give the official impartial nikon bigot welcome

Feck off yet another deviant canon user, get a Nikon or go home !

Ok now that is done with hope you have fun here

POST YOUR Australia zoo shots they are awesome !

cheers doug
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • Oneputts Bub

by Oneputts Bub » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am

Dug wrote:Hey Welcome to the forum

I am really sorry but I must give the official impartial nikon bigot welcome

Feck off yet another deviant canon user, get a Nikon or go home !

Ok now that is done with hope you have fun here

POST YOUR Australia zoo shots they are awesome !

cheers doug

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I knew my joining this forum as a Canon user would cause a stir....Dad in between cringing..Would be laughing hard.
    However I promise when I win the lotto I will redeem myself, salvage some Dignity and get a Nikon...look at it as temporary insanity. :wink:

Let me know which of the Aust Zoo pics are worthy to post Dug and I will try.....having said that you might be waiting a while it’s taken me a year to work out how to post a pic On Overlander :oops:
  • Oneputts Bub

by Oneputts Bub » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Just looking for some advice on the following... think I have decided to go with the Canon 70-200mmF4L USM...from what I’ve heard it’s a good quality general purpose lens.
    I have found them listed on EBay new with Australian warranty for between $730-$800 ...or they are going for around $600 second hand from private sellers......what do you think? Opinions/advice appreciated