help choosing lens (new to photography)
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

help choosing lens (new to photography)

by vlt87kal » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:07 pm

hey guys im pretty new to all this photography buissness, i brought a basic nikon d5000 as these seem really good to learn on, iv been using the twin lens kit so far, and tripod, but im wanting to no what lenses would be best used for car photography of up to roughly 20metres and close up?? and also for scenic photos, are wide angles always best in ur opinion??
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Well you made the right decision on cameras so you are obviously of above average intelligence and attractiveness ( as all nikon users are )

Personally I would be looking at an ultra wide I love my Sigma 10 20 great for close ups and can be used for those distorted car shots magazines like, as well as allowing interior shots.

have fun here beware the evil canon owners who lurk :lol:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • Nitnat

by Nitnat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 am

Hi,

As Dug said, great choice on camera!

I am also in a similar position for wanting new lenses to add to my twin lens kit.
    So far, I have decided that a wide angle is my next choice. And I am currently weighing up options.

At this stage, I am personally looking to buy a Tokina 11-16 as from reviews I have found via the magic of google have swayed me that way.

I would recommend doing some browser searching yourself for a wide angle, and determining which factors are most important to yourself out of - price, sharpness, ease of use etc.
    Then, start searching for a bargain!

So far, DWI is the best price I have found for the Tokina. Now I just have to make the decision to buy my 1st ever grey import or not. :roll:

ps: taking a wild stab at your username I am guessing a 1987 VL Turbo Calais?
    Good luck
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:57 am

I'm going to differ a little.
    There is nothing wrong with the kit lenses that you have and new lenses in themselves will not improve your photography.
    My advice is to use what you have and post samples of your photos and ask for critique. Through critique you will learn where you can improve, it may be your technique, the lighting, or you might be better served with different lenses. To start with other responders here have jumped on the UWA side of your post and suggested lenses but ignored or have not seen your 20 metre comment. To shoot cars at 20 metres a 300mm lens will be way more useful than a 10mm one.
    In summary don't but a new lens until you know what you want and why you need it.
  • Nitnat

by Nitnat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:01 am

Fair comment K1W1,

Sorry about that, but I was jumping in when I saw the 10-24 offered.
    As I am looking for a WA I was going on about the perks of the Tokina.

Didn't mean to sidetrack anyone into thinking that the WA was the be all and end all. :oops:
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:50 am

Just about every photographer I know including me has one or several lenses in their gear bag that with hind sight and a little patience they would not have purchased. Generally it's not that the lens is in any way faulty it's just that it doesn't get used much because emotion and credit card debit took precedence over logic. As I said in the previous post you should really only buy lenses when you have come up against a limitation that you cannot overcome with your current glass if you can't recognise a problem you can't identify what the fix will be.
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 am

nit nat yer mate vl berlina manual turbo :)
    cheers for the input guys i think ill go with uploading a few shots first then go from critique..... probly stick with a wide angle in the end though
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am

K1W1 wrote:Just about every photographer I know including me has one or several lenses in their gear bag that with hind sight and a little patience they would not have purchased. Generally it's not that the lens is in any way faulty it's just that it doesn't get used much because emotion and credit card debit took precedence over logic. As I said in the previous post you should really only buy lenses when you have come up against a limitation that you cannot overcome with your current glass if you can't recognise a problem you can't identify what the fix will be.

Yep, totally agree with this. After getting my 50mm prime, I had a real urge to get a UWA. Eventually got the 12-24 f/4 Tokina. It's easily my least used lens (apart from my 55-200 as that's been replaced with the 70-200).
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

im still trying to figure the layout of lenses also guys, just from reading topics i understand that 12-24 is wide angle and 12-20 is also?
    but how do u tell if its ultra wide angle, wide angle, and normal?? i no u can read on the description and all that but what other ways can u tell?? and identify whats a lense is?? (bit of a dumb question haha)
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:07 pm

in the old measure of full frame photography a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera was the "Standard" lens 50mm to 28mm was wide angle Anything below 28mm was ultra wide.

they are just names ascribed by photographers and there is no real law to this.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 pm

sorry mate but i dont understand?? i have a nikon d5000 so what camera size would that be? 52?
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:14 pm

OK you have a 2/3 sized sensor ( 2/3 the size of a 35mm frame )

Lenses are worked out on the ratio of lens to size of the area covered.

For you a 35mm lens would be standard and an 18mm lens wide

Anything below 18mm would be super wide

have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm_equi ... cal_length
    Last edited by Dug on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Full- ... _APS-C.svg

Visually explained here

The smaller sensor size is effectively cropping the image for you in camera.

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:22 pm

ah ok im getting ther haha cheers mate
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:26 pm

vlt87kal wrote:ah ok im getting ther haha cheers mate

you have a Long way to go yet
    Mu ahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:

PM sent

cheers doug

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK