car photographer help
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

car photographer help

by vlt87kal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 pm

hey guys, ive been getting into taking photos of cars lately, but i cant seem to find any tutorials, good tips, lenses, lighting and so on to take pictures or cars.... even filters?? preferably i will be taking foto's of parked cars any help would be awsome,
    im using a d5000, typical 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses so far... working my way around them 1st would be best... then perhaps a 10-24mm??
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:53 am

You can take fine photos with the lenses you have (not knowing them specifically)

For cars there are a number of different styles but you might find some off camera flashes the best thing to help with first.

A few pointers with cars;

Get down to headlight level
    Have them in their native environment, 4wds = dirt, street machines =roads, drag cars = track

Have a play and we can help from there with tips ;)
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:24 am

^^^^^ What Scott says is helpful.

To that I would add: PLAY

Take any car, your own is just fine, and just shoot it at different focal lengths, from different distances, in varying settings.

A Polarising filter is a good toy. Play with varying how the reflections on the surface shine can be varied and the impact changed.

Keep two things in mind that commercial shoots favour:

1. Shoot at dawn or dusk to get a glow in the paint work

2. Find a location that has a large natural reflector such as a white wall to give contours in the shadow side.

A mate of mine in the UK shoots cars for brochures — Bentleys, Jaguars, etc. Get some clues from looking at his work:

http://www.jamescallaghan.co.uk/album/automotive?p=1#1
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • ghopper168

by ghopper168 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09 am

Have a look at this thread on potn http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=984150

There are quite a few guys showing there setup on cars.

There are some other very interest setups here too
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Don;t forget to get in close and take shots of the details not just the whole car.

Look at car mags work out the shots you like and the ones you don't like and work from there.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK