Indoor Car Show
  • D_M_R Photography

Indoor Car Show

by D_M_R Photography » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 pm

I will be heading off to a indoor car show this weekend to get some pictures. Was wondering if anyone uses any filters inside and what settings would be best. I was thinking of using my low light lense which is a 35mm 1.8. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:14 pm

No filters unless youre shooting film.

I'd suggest your wide angle as well as you might not get as far away without others getting in your way.

Enjoy and take a flash if you have one.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:56 am

Why no filters for digital Busiboy? I would have though a CPL may have come in handy to cut down all the reflections? (Don't actually have one yet, so don't know - So any info would be appreciated...)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:47 am

Beeb,

It certainly would not hurt to have a CPL handy. You'll find with cars that you can change the dynamics of the bodywork by rotating a Poliser. have a play.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:59 am

I wouldn't have thought the col wouldn't be much value indoors, I'd never have thought to use it anyway, but I'd take Walters advice over mine as he and others here would have forgotten more about photography than I know, :lol: also shooting indoors the light loss through a cpl will mean you definitely need your tripod or an iso that is very high, not sure how your camera is at high iso.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Rather than a filter what about taking a grey card instead so you can get your white balance correct. If it's anything like most of the cars shows I have been to the lighting will be rubbish.
    I'd suggest a lens much wider than 35mm as well. If the show is popular you make have trouble getting whole car shots in with a 35mm and f1.8 isn't going to be much use as the dof will be way too shallow to get the whole car in focus anyway. Obviously if you are looking for detail shots then that's a different story.