Flash Photography and Camera settings
  • The Hair Bear

Flash Photography and Camera settings

by The Hair Bear » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Im am a newbie so be a little kind to me. I like to shoot in Manual mode (learning) and I cant seem to figure out to what extent do you need to worry about your exposure settings ( say aperture and shutter speed, maybe ISO) when you use your on camera flash. I get in a situation where I just cant get enough light (inside shot) as my exposure meter is claiming so decide to pop up the flash...but wont this flash light affect all of the exposure settings I have just set. I have a D800 with an SB910 and from what I can gather, the electronics solves this dilemma when using that external flash but it is the little bugger on the camera that is confusing me. What I do is simply put the camera into Program mode but I am sure that is not the answer. Thanks in anticipation
  • Wasasaw

Re: Flash Photography and Camera settings

by Wasasaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi HB

Ahhh the black art of flash - Vodoo with a capital V.

My 2 cents worth & will stand corrected.

With regard to your specific question the on board flash should still work in the same manner as the SB910 in that irrespective of your settings be it Manual, P, A or S it will perform as you dictate it to do via the Flash option in your custom settings menu / Flash Control for built in flash - Least thats how it's done on those I have used - D70s, D200, D300s, & D7000 so I'm assuming it's pretty much the same on your 800. Within that option you can specify the on board to be TTL, Manual (you then have a further option to specify the level of output manually, repeating flash (i'm assuming this is for strobe style stuff - check your manual) or as a commander flash for wireless work with other compatible flashes.

For a more general overview of the black art have a look at http://strobist.blogspot.com.au/ - particularly the Lighting 101 - it's a series of tutorials on strobe work - by no means the be all and end all but not a bad place to start if you want to go down that path.

I have just started to dabble and some of the things to consider are at odds with available light work which just adds to the mystery but I reckon it will be something with unlimited potential if I persevere and free up my limited imagination.

Cheers
    Wasa
    Last edited by Wasasaw on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Oh yes I'm very much mistaken
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 pm

KISS

Sooooooooo, you want to shoot with a flash.

Its all different but here as some general on camera flash TTL pointers.

Read your manual.

READ your manual.

Then, are you trying to achieve a particular effect?

My personal preference for minimal fuss, is set to Apperture mode if there are variable lighting conditions, Manual is consistently bad. Manual will give quaicker responses from your camera.

Set the ISO as high as you are happy with, the apperture as wide as you can, then your shutter where you are happy with the ambient light.

So maybe ISO 400-800 depending on the camera, with your flash D800 you could go higher, but this will generally suit a normal lens for subjects other than a black cat in a coal mine.

open the lens wide. leave it there.

Set your shutter speed to NO LESS than your focal length, if using a zoom and you are forgetful set the upper limit.

Adjust ISO to suit if required.

Turn flash on, point it at the ceiling.

Fire away.

Adjust the intensity of the flash by dialing the flash compensation up and down (low white ceiling is different to a high black one)

It is a starting point that has generally more forgiving results that a direct flash to the face.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the above and most will have their own way to shoot it, some will say chunk the flash altogether and forget about it others will have methods of setting multiple wireless triggers at different locations to provide even light throughout the venue.

Depending on the setting and goal none are right nor wrong.

On the strobist site above, the author wrote a post about how he set his lights up to shoot a basketball game, basically multiple flashes at various locations all fired to provide light to the whole floor.

Horses for courses.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • The Hair Bear

by The Hair Bear » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks Scott and Wasa. Hey Wasa..."lets not worry about strobe...I gotta find the on/off switch first!!" Bu t6again thanks...you guys clearly know your shite... Got my daughters Deb today/tonight, so this will be the first time I will have really had a proper "shoot out" with my camera...or any camera for that matter...and the weather is dark and shite so I suspect my 50mm 1.8 lens will get a bit of use and the 24-70 2.8 tonight with the flash. I may just stick with the 24-70 and raise the iso. My camera is supposed to be pretty good at handling noise so I will put it to the test. Its all a bit exciting...Im 51 and should not get too excited...I may have a heart attack!!! If you dont mind, I will "radio back to earth" if the re are any weird outcomes from the night.

Over and out.

Darren
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:49 pm

White dresses and black suits at night.

Have fun . . . . .
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Chris Sitnik

by Chris Sitnik » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Two words: bounce flash.
    I've recently bought a speedlite and have had a bit of a play with it (nowhere near enough yet though) and for indoors bouncing behind you works quite well.
    Have a read of this blokes site. I found a wealth of knowledge and tips with examples that are easy to understand.
    http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
    Cheers
  • The Hair Bear

by The Hair Bear » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:52 am

Well...very interesting. Got some really nice shots in the afternoon and a small number of good ones from the venue (remember this judgement comes from an inexperienced eye). Learned an absolute shite load about my camera and I even dicked around with manual flash bouncing off the little reflector card the comes out the back of the sb 910 and got some ok photos but got some great ideas. Hi Chris...I couldnt bounce in this venue as the roof height was bloody "miles" away. Thanks for the link. Ill give that a read tomorrow. I decided to respond now because some idiot (my wife) agreed to have the after deb party at our place (we are in the country and on 5 acres) so I am sitting in my "man cave" typing this and trying to understand the crap music they are playing!!!! So much to learn...so little time. over and out