Just waiting for tomorrow...
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Just waiting for tomorrow...

by beeb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Found this fly in the garden settling down for the night yesterday. It gave a great opportunity to test out some eBay sourced extension tubes I recently acquired.

While the build quality of the extension tubes is questionable, the air fitted to them internally seems to have excellent optical preformance ( :mrgreen: ), and a reasonable amount of AF is still retained also.

This is the result of a ISO6400 shot, uncropped with only minor editing (no extra sharpening), taken with the 60mm and a 16mm tube. Quite pleased really, still amazed what these 'little' cameras are capable of with a little coersion.

Last edited by beeb on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Just waiting for tomorrow...

by Eden » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 pm

That is pretty impressive.

The colour that the fuji gets is pretty nice and the background is a nice smooth blur considering the lens was nearly wide open at f4.

Just for my benefit , why do you take this shot on aperture priority and not totally in manual or is this why the background is so smooth and non distracting ?

It might be my imagination but the fuji seems to bring out a metallic turquoise better than almost any capture I have seen of late and this is a bonus with insect macro as flies in particular exhibit brilliant metallic colours.

Or maybe it is just my perception of it tonight after a glass of red.

Great shot none the less!

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:32 pm

I shoot aperture-priority because, well - it's easier.

The in-camera meters are so good now, they're normally pretty close to the mark. +/- 2 EV (2 stops exposure compensation either way) is plenty to cover 99.99% of any artistic requirements, and I don't have to fiddle about trying to match shutter speeds to a shot when the lighting can change at any second.

Most people that shoot manual these days are just shooting a slow form of aperture priority anyway, as all they are doing is setting the shutter speed to match the camera's internal light meter.

About the only exception I have is long-exposures, I prefer to set them manually or use Bulb mode as I just find it more reliable and consistent than AV mode.

That being said, that's just what works for me, and may not suit everyone. :wink:
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 am

Yep, those are the ones Geoff. Like I say though, build quality is pretty poor - they grab on the contact pins in the camera when installing, which makes me a bit nervous (can't be good side-loading the pins like that over the long-term) - but I'll probably still use them from time-to-time.

I had a very poor experience with the standard international post out of China, I would recommend trying to find one with express post/tracking as an option. Better than waiting two months for arrival (including two re-posts by the seller). Only reason I got them is the final batch they sent they sent with a different seller. First time I've experienced this (from many international purchases I should add), but it was a different seller I'm pretty sure - so maybe you'll have better luck. 8)
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:39 pm

beeb wrote:I had a very poor experience with the standard international post out of China, I would recommend trying to find one with express post/tracking as an option. Better than waiting two months for arrival (including two re-posts by the seller). Only reason I got them is the final batch they sent they sent with a different seller. First time I've experienced this (from many international purchases I should add), but it was a different seller I'm pretty sure - so maybe you'll have better luck. 8)

Count yourself lucky, when I ordered the Canon equivalents from Hong Kong, instead of entering AU as the country code, they entered RU and the bloody things went via Russia! 10 weeks later they finally got here, but they work a treat and the aperture even works if I twiddle with them to get all the contacts aligned just right... :roll:

Great capture by the way. I voted for it in the weekly.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.