Reason Enough To Go And Imbibe A Skinful
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Reason Enough To Go And Imbibe A Skinful

by W G » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 am

Sic transit gloria mundi

This makes me even happier that a month ago I bought myself another Hasselblad. I bought my first in 1969 and have used them ever since.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/end-o ... stem-21866

Ave atque vale.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Reason Enough To Go And Imbibe A Skinful

by Doug » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am

I would love to own one just for the engineering of them, but I have a perfectly good Bronica system sitting here doing nothing.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 am

I have used Bronicas in my day. Some were superb. Back about 1970 I worked for a guy that had the original older clunker Zenza Bronicas which had Nikkor lenses. They were quite something. At the time my own camera was a Rollei SL66 which was probably better in many ways to anything else, but it just did not form the organic handful that the 'Blad did.

A mate has a more recent square Bronny with three lenses that he offered me for nothing. I had used it on occasion but just couldn't come to terms with it.

I said elsewhere this morning that with the size and form of the 'Blad man and instrument merges as one entity. Something I have never found with any 35mm except possibly the Leica M.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 am

Mine is the 6x4.5 ETRS model, with a speed grip(two stroke thumb wind on) and an eye level AE view finder.

So chunky 35mm type handling, but it is what I was used to.

It has the bruched silvery finish so it looks classy to me and well made.

There are three Zenza Bronica lenes and two 120 backs.

A shop said they would put $700 on the lot less comission, but I'm still tempted to keep it for that sort of money.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed May 01, 2013 10:38 am

I found 6x4.5 a quite interesting format — not as boxy as 6x7 and not as elongated at 35mm or 6x9.

For quite a while I used a Pentax 645 and it performed remarkably well.

I also briefly had a 645 back for the Hasselblad but it was a bitch for verticals with anything but a 90º prism — and magazine covers are all verticals.

Much as I love(d) the waist level finder, there were many times (especially at the beach or in the bush) where I used the 45º prism. That suited me fine because it continued the ability to shoot from a lower viewpoint. To this day, when I shoot with the Canon DSLR I invariably use a 90º reflex viewfinder to facilitate shooting from a lower viewpoint.

Back in the day, black & white in MF was a markedly different beast to 35mm. There'd have been the best part of 20 to 30 years where I was producing more published glamour than anyone else on the planet and did not even own a 35mm camera. In 1987/8 I was churning out 138 covers and centrespreads a year and it was all on 120 - with a bit of large format where Playboy was concerned. The 6x4.5 was the grab-shot story sequence camera.

All ancient history now.
    Walter Glover

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 am

Yes the ratio of 6x4.5 does give a pleasing look, the extra three frames over 6x6 is a bonus as well when no one is covering your costs.

I am a fan also of the waist level view finder. I would use it for Landscape photography in horizontal over the eye level view finder because it helped with composition I felt.
    You where not viewing from within the picture like an eye level view finder, but instead could see it as a whole.
    I suppose that is live view now.

It sounds like the good old days, where good to you. :D
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 am

Doug wrote:I am a fan also of the waist level view finder. I would use it for Landscape photography in horizontal over the eye level view finder because it helped with composition I felt.
    You where not viewing from within the picture like an eye level view finder, but instead could see it as a whole.
    I suppose that is live view now.

My preference has always been to look at a viewfinder with both eyes and engage both hemispheres of the grey matter to evaluate and decide.

I had a recent foray with the Fuji X-E 1 and found that I really did take to Live View a bit like a duck to water. In time I'll weaken and get myself a new Canon which will have Live View.

Hooroo,
    Walter Glover

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 am

I had a recent foray with the Fuji X-E 1 and found that I really did take to Live View a bit like a duck to water. In time I'll weaken and get myself a new Canon which will have Live View.

Everything I have posted here is from my trusty old 350D. There is a 6D coming in the post, so live view is one of the many features I am looking forward to utilizing.
    Just having a rear screen image bigger than a large postage stamp will be a welcome change :)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 am

I think I had a 350D (or was it a 450D) when I first got into digital as a walk-around alternative to my 5D of the time. It was good but I did not hang onto it long.

The 6D has caught my eye also and just last weekend I got a chap with one to fire off a couple of shots to hear the legendary quiet shutter. 'Tis true. 'Tis quiet.

Part of my delay is deciding between the 6D and the 5D MkIII. In the world I inhabit I have to look at return on investment. AND I have to keep in mind that the 5D is still going strong and that my clients have no need for bigger files. Imagine the disappointment if I went down the path I'd truly like to go down with a Leaf or Sinar MF system. Make you wonder where the market is for them.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 am

Part of my delay is deciding between the 6D and the 5D MkIII.

I had a lot of time to think about that and for we it was not too hard to talk myself out of the extra expence of the mkIII.

For a lot of people the decission hinges on the AF system, they need the mkIII one or they are in love with the idea of needing it.

It is not a biggy for me and by ther time I stripped all the features off the mkIII I would not need or could get round I was left with the Auto brightness on the rear screen and the little joy stick thingy (you can't miss what you never had).

The WiFi and GPS on the 6D I am treating as gimmicks for my useage, but if I was to find an Ipad like device second hand at a good price I could see the WiFi remote feature being very interesting for the reasons we have been discussing.