........ old and still working
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

........ old and still working

by Big Pix » Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 am

one from the collection........ 5 x 4 Speed Graphic FP around mid 50s eria ........

The Way it was...... 1950 ? about by Big Pix ....., on Flickr
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: ........ old and still working

by W G » Wed May 08, 2013 10:32 am

Saw the title and thought you were talking about me or you. LOL

Seriously, though, a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

I never got into the Graphics but former press buddies all claim that they were the ideal choice because they were lighter than metal bodies and they did not shatter like a metal casting if dropped or used to scone some mongrel from the other paper.

On a side note: I've been on a nostalgia trip watching Murdoch on SBS, I never worked for News Corp but I knew a lot of the guys - journos especially. If you remember, Bernie, mal had a studio in Cooper Street half way between the Mirror office (as it was then) and the Evening Standard.

Cheers mate,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am

...... I brought the above camera just as digital was starting to enter the photo world. Who would think that digital would take off and improve as quick as it did, the camera was a purchase with a number of lens, film holders, to be used shooting landscapes when I retired, which was only a few years away....... yes I did use the above on 2-3 location pro jobs with very good results.

By the time I retired and decided to head off to shoot landscapes I was using a Nikon D70 and a bag of lens from my studio days, much easier to carry and the 5 x 4 sat in its pristine bag never to be used again. It is a great collection piece, sitting in a glass cabinet on display with a number of other much older collection pieces

The hand grip on the above turned it into quite a weapon when needed....... with very little or no damage when used......

Yes, do remember Mals town studio, and I had a few photography mates that worked for the papers also, when we met at different jobs, there was a lot of beer consumed at the end of a job....... and it was a very long drive home over the bridge back then.......
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am

Ain't dat da troof!

Thems was tha days.

You were considered a but iffy if you di not roll home legless.

Bloody diabetes - I haven't had a drink in over 20 years.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi