Sony RX100 MkII
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Sony RX100 MkII

by Busiboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 pm

So, I decided a while ago to get on e of these, its got a 1" sensor, so not as big as m4/3 or the GX1 but bigger than most.

While having this sized sensor however Sony have jammed it into a very compact body, similar in size to the LX7

The min f stop is f1.8 on the wide but it slows quickly as you wind it out.

I just took it for a test walk, a few things I noticed straight off the bat,

they aren't made for a tripod despite the screw mount for a tripod foot. If you screw it on square it fouls the aperture ring. Having said that, I walked around in the dark and didn't need one. f1.8 and a ISO that goes to 12,000 I literally couldn't see what it was if I couldn't hand hold it.

The tilting screen isn't as good as the build on the Oly camears, but it will be ok.

Auto ISO is where it will stay, the ISO adjustment algorithm is exactly as I would do it manually as a factor of the shutter speed on the light available, ie it tries to keep the ISO as low as possible while maintaining the shutter speed similar to the 35mm EFL

Looking at the JPG's I am hoping the RAW images are better, having said that I bought it for a quality family snapper and walk around.

I'm not overly impressed with the image quality but time will tell.

These are OOC jpg, un touched, not even straightened. Full size should be available on flickr

Sony RX100 MkII by Shottonsite, on Flickr

*PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Sony RX100 MkII

by Busiboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Its a point and shoot and doesn't hold a candle to previous cameras or current.

I did a bit of a test and shot the old boiler again, I used the 5D mkII, 16-35mm stopped down, tripod and 30s exposure, then I took a hand held with the sony, chalk and cheese in image quality but also the set up, gear, cost etc.

I'm still not sure where I sit with it, the images are ok for resizing, portraits are pleasing, used in its element it should be more than adequate.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Sony RX100 MkII

by Busiboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:32 pm

DSC00076 by Shottonsite, on Flickr

Where it does well
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome