Sony releases NEX full frame
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

Sony releases NEX full frame

by Simsy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Sony has just released their full frame Nex in 2 versions 1 in 24 mega pixels and the other in 36 mega pixels. Skip to 4.25 to start. I think this camera is going to get some of the other manufacturers moveing if it shows any of what it promises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fSrsqn3ESc
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Sony releases NEX full frame

by Busiboy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 am

It was only a matter of time, Sony have been heading this way for a while.

The more expensive version has the low pass filter I believe.

It will be interesting to see if the lenses and camera set up produce quality images
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Interesting camera alright.
    Amazingly small for a FF, I wonder if that is so important or even a hindrance when FF lenses can be so bulky and heavy.
    The styling needs to grow on me yet, it has the Leica square corners of their range finders with an Olympus OM-D looking view finder.
    I still prefer optical view finders myself, you get a cameras eye view in live view and the full dynamic range of eye sight for the optical view finder.
    The exposure dials layout has a logic to it, it could see it working well after unlearning more conventional layouts.
    No room for a look down settings display though, I find myself using that more an I expected once I had one.

Not so sure it is the changing of the guard for FF or anything like that, but when you consider how old the 35mm based form factor is that current FF's still follow it is ripe for the picking.

I get skeptical about things getting made small, that design exercise comes before usability.
    Is the camera body being made to shrink wrap the most compact internals possible or is the body being designed for the hand and comfortable control layout.
    I am hoping that as the designs for camera internals get smaller still that manufacturers will have the confidence to build a bit of fresh air into the body design.
    Hands are not getting smaller and my FF does not feel big in the hand, to me it feels just right.

An intriguing camera. I will look out for reviews with interest.
    Thinking of getting one?
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:24 am

Not any time soon that's for sure they are a bit pricey for me at the moment. But here is the thing as you know I have a Nex for my travel camera, well after my trip to the USA carrying the Nex for a mth every day I can tell you from experience that the size and weight of these things and their near DSLR ability's they are the way of the future. In a world where we all want to pack as much as we can in as little time and space as possible this style camera reigns supreme. I have read an article or 2 from pro photographers that are now sporting Nex or similar style cameras as their number 1 choice, simply because of their small and light weight form. 1such article even went as far as to say that the Cannon and Nikon cameras were being left behind and if they don't pick up the trend they would end up being like the old Blackberry. I am not saying that Sony has built the ultimate camera but a full frame light weight and small form factor camera that on paper promises DSLR performance is just going to with any luck open the eyes of some of the more main stream manufacturers. I like my Nex but there are plenty of things that need improving its not as good as my DSLR but the new 1 well who knows maybe that is as good and with 36 mega pixels maybe even better only time will tell.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:33 am

Simsy,

I don't think these should be compared to the current NEX range, it will be a stand alone system as the lenses need to be made to fit the sensor, so other than the fixed focal full frame they already have out, they've rejigged the lenses.

Not much point having 36Mp if the lenses are rubbish.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott