New full frame Sony 12 Mp
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

New full frame Sony 12 Mp

by Busiboy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:35 pm

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony ... me-sensor/

The Sony A7s keeps surprising us! It will get announced on Sunday already(!) and it will record 4K video. And now I just learned it features a new 12 megapixel Full Frame sensor! It completely goes in the opposite direction of the market who calls for “more megapixels”. And I think Sony’s move makes a lot of sense: Larger pixels, cleaner high ISO images, more fps! This is going to be an amazing 4K camera!
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: New full frame Sony 12 Mp

by Doug » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Not sure if this announcement is a late April fools or some awesome trolling.
    Even if its true the rems of ensuing techno babble below it is priceless.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:18 pm

I was wary of that, however it would be a late one indeed. Find out in the morning I guess.

I personally think the MP count is getting a bit crazy, though unless there was some stellar improvement I can't see them investing money in smaller sensor capacity.

I dunno, I think optimal would be between 12-16 myself, but unless you buy a small sensor you can't get anything less than twice that.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:26 pm

It was true, and the specs are, well wow.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/p ... index.html

It combines phenomenal sensitivity up to ISO 409600*1 with supremely low noise, courtesy of Sony’s new 12.2-megapixel 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS image sensor and optimized high-speed BIONZ X image processing engine. Professional movie functions satisfy the highest demands of serious photographers and videographers, plus everything is precision-packed in the world’s smallest 35mm full-frame interchangeable-lens digital camera body*2 for unparalleled mobility. Imagine the possibilities.

Sony’s new remarkably sensitive 12.2-megapixel 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor delivers a wide sensitivity range from ISO 50 to 409600*, as well as extremely low noise. The newly developed image sensor provides photographers/videographers with high dynamic range in every light condition from severe low light to bright sunlight.

It would be interesting to see the image quality, I wonder if they got it right or its just another spec'd up piece of rubbish.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 pm

It would be interesting to see the image quality, I wonder if they got it right or its just another spec'd up piece of rubbish.

The Jpeg processing of the other two variants is supposed to be disappointing, so they have a chance to get that right.
    Exciting news for the video people I guess, its the dynamic range that interests me more than anything else.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 am

At 3,500 I might wait to see how the market deems it's performance first . . . .
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott