Fuji XF Question.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Fuji XF Question.

by W G » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:45 am

Over the weekend I got back (on loan) the Fuji XE-1 and the pair of lenses I had with it. A 35mm 1:1.4 and a 60mm Macro.

My question is: Does anybody have experience of the comparison between the 60mm Macro and the new 56mm 1:1.2?

I am also curious about reports of the 14mm prime vs to 10 ~ 24mm zoom?

There is a plan being formulated to flog off the Canon kit that I have been using.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Fuji XF Question.

by LOZ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:22 am

These may help ??

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=fuji%2014mm

Way to personal a question I loved mine and if I went back the 14mm would be my first choice again
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Reckon Geoff will be your go to man on this one.
    I loved the 14mm too, the 10-24 came along after I left the Fuji family so don't know about that one.
    From doing a bit of casual reading though most people seemed to prefer the 14mm over the zoom.

I'm back in the Fuji fold again though but with an x100.
    I have done that to stop these lens buying decisions :wink: :)
    David
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Dont have experience with the macro but my friend has the fuji xt1 and the 56 1.2 .. its nice !
    he doesn't have the one with the "special" filter.. just the "normal" version. its still very nice though ..
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:35 pm

W G wrote:Over the weekend I got back (on loan) the Fuji XE-1 and the pair of lenses I had with it. A 35mm 1:1.4 and a 60mm Macro.

My question is: Does anybody have experience of the comparison between the 60mm Macro and the new 56mm 1:1.2?

I am also curious about reports of the 14mm prime vs to 10 ~ 24mm zoom?

There is a plan being formulated to flog off the Canon kit that I have been using.

Cheers,

Walter, I have all four lenses you are inquiring about.

In regard to the 60 and 56, although similar in focal length they are completely different tools for different jobs. While the 60 has great contrast, colour rendition and sharpness the focus speed, despite firmware updates is still very mediocre. It has much closer focus distance (due to it being a macro lens) over that of the 56. The 56 is superior in every way and would be my choice of the two. That said I would not sell the 60 as I do enjoy macro work. However, when the 120 macro is released the 60 may have to find a new home.

In respect of the 14 and 10-24, I am surprised you would ask about a zoom lens! A no brainer decision, go with the 14. The 10-24 is versatile and performs well but it will never match the performance of a prime but then you already know that.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks very much for the info Geoff,

Just the sorts of thoughts that I had myself, to be honest.

I can buy back the XE-1, 35mm and 60mm Macro for what I sold them for. My mate who bought them has never used any of the kit except for a couple of tests. The feasibility all comes down to whether I'd be happy to continue with the XE-1 or go for a XT-1 (which I think I favour). The Wi-Fi and the swing-out screen have serious appeal but on the other hand, money is an ever-present stifler of dreams as I approach major lifestyle changes.

The only appeal of the zoom is the extra angle of view. Having said that, for the last 10 years the widest I have had is a 20mm for the Canon, although I have been able to extend on that by using the 24mm TS-E to do pano vistas.

If I buy back my old kit the 60mm could be handy for details of bikes for my mag client, but the focus is abhorrent. All that hunting about at snail's pace is a tad wearying,

I have always thought that the B&W possible with the Fuji is beyond compare digitally and, as you are no doubt aware, colour is a burdensome distraction in my world view. Added to that, I have always loathed Canon (and Nikon for that matter) with a passion.

I guess it all comes down to what I can flog the Canon kit for. The camera won't bring much but the other stuff should fetch a reasonable price.

Thanks again,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:56 am

I thought of a question I'd like to ask you Geoff while I snuck a few hours kip,

Just how close does the 56mm focus to? I wonder if there are extension tubes for the XF system ..... and of course, there are always dioptres I suppose.

Thanks,
    Walter Glover

heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:03 am

W G wrote:I thought of a question I'd like to ask you Geoff while I snuck a few hours kip,

Just how close does the 56mm focus to? I wonder if there are extension tubes for the XF system ..... and of course, there are always dioptres I suppose.

Thanks,

The XF has extension tubes
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... cex_01.pdf
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:32 pm

W G wrote:I wonder if there are extension tubes for the XF system .....

Don't buy the "Fotga" aftermarket ones, worked well, but always felt very risky installing/uninstalling from the body & lens as it felt like they were going to damage the contact pins. I ended up getting rid of them before I did any damage. The Fuji ones should be fine though.

I'm intrigued - what's the planned application for your Digital setup Walter? If you're shooting predominantly manual focus lenses but looking for a smaller camera body, maybe something like the Sony A7R could be an option? (Albeit a lot more expensive option...)
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:21 pm

As above, Fuji have recently introduced both a 11 & 16 mm extension tubes. I am after an 11mm to add to the kit but have not found a stockist with one in stock locally.

Not sure of the minimum focus on the 56 off hand and I can't check as I am in Dalby without the lens, I think it is around .7m? All the specs will be on the Fujifilm website.

How much can you buy back the XE1 for? One thing I have been very disappointed in with Fuji is the poor $ retention. You can pick up a used XE1 for around $250/$350 and both the XF35 & XF60 for about $400 each. The XP1 is a better camera with on OVF and can be bought used for about $500 (I paid $450 for mine 12months ago). I've not handled the XT1 so can't give you any feedback on that body.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com