Glamour Competition Winners Announced!!!
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Glamour Competition Winners Announced!!!

by Sir Tristram » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Our three judges have submitted their scoring sheets for the Glamour Comp and a big congratulations goes to Photoboy as our 1st prize winner!

Also a big thanks to our three Judges , Jason Cole, David Anderson and Walter Glover. All respected pro's in their fields. Also our appreciation goes to Jason for donating 4 copies of his "Shooting Glamour" DVD.

Well done to everyone who entered and the results were closer than expected.

1st Place: DVD "Shooting Glamour" + 160Gb External Hard Disk Drive
    H: Photoboy

2nd Place: "DVD "Shooting Glamour"
    E: OzBeachside

3rd Place: "DVD "Shooting Glamour"
    J: Wulos

4th Place: "DVD "Shooting Glamour"
    C: Heartyfisher

Judges Comments

David Anderson

A & B

In the first shot the composition and relaxed pose work well with the
    light and the outfit though I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of
    the back shoulder to twist her body a little more to camera.
    Also, her face is a little close to the tree line in the background
    and would have stood out more with a bit more space.
    Overall a good shot.

In the B shot the model looks tense and the background doesn't add
    anything to the picture.

C.
    I don't know if it's glam, but I love it as a portrait.
    The model has great eye contact and a looks relaxed and the outfit
    and background are well matched.
    With the lighting a little more shadow would have given it more
    shape, but it still works.

D.
    Sexy in a strange way.
    The lighting on the model doesn't do much for me.
    Great skin tone !

E. (came third for me)
    Well done on the lighting, background and outfit, all work well
    together.
    The model has a nice look in her eyes, but the pose is a little stiff.
    Nice skin tone as well.

F.
    Another good portrait with good eye contact.
    The make-up and hair combination is good and the background good
    though I'm not sure how well they go together.
    It does makes her stand out.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the model looking a little more straight to
    camera on this one.
    Overall well done.

G.
    I think this is a good pose & outfit on a very cool background (color
    and shape), but the models tight mouth and the
    slight fear in her eyes takes away from the shot.
    There are some issues with the shadows on her arm and a bit on her
    face as well, though the lighting is in general not bad.

H. (=highest score)
    Bam !
    Vargas is back..
    Awesome cheeky look & pose from the model and also a great outfit and
    background.
    The shadow under her nose & chin & chest are a little strong IMO for
    the blown skin tone.
    Also the left are stands out for being a bit dark.
    I'm being picky because it's studio lighting. winkwink

I. (=highest score)

Very sexy.
    Great shadows both on the model and background give this a beautiful
    shape, the shot is well lit.
    Though the concept is not new, the way the the shot has been set-up
    is well done.
    The model is a winner, her pose and outfit are both awesome.
    The only negative I can think of here (and I have to try hard) is her
    hair and the one ear sticking out.

J.
    This is a great environmental portrait, the composition and post are
    first rate - I love it !
    The only thing I don't like is the slightly sour look on the models
    mouth.

K.
    This is cute but doesn't quite work for me.
    On a positive note the look in the models eyes is great and she looks
    fairly comfortable.
    The negatives are that because of the pose of the outfit she looks
    like she only has one breast.
    The crop is also a little tight.
    I'm not sure about the background, I like the long grass, but
    something about cement doesn't say 'sexy' to me.
    Maybe I'm getting old..lol

Jason Cole

A:model looks stiff and under exposed - also why use a gate backdrop?
    B:model looks stiff and under exposed - also why use a gate backdrop?
    C:not really glamour but i love the styling in this shot
    D:body shot is ok but should have had darker BG
    E:this shot is my fav - pretty much a perfect glamour shot
    F:(model looks scared - lighting too hot on one side)
    G:(very passive - nice but very flat lighting)
    H:(great theme)
    I: Not Judged
    J: (its not glamour but i like the shot)
    K:(good shot but the skin toning is way too white and the lighting too flat)
    Last edited by Sir Tristram on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Congrats to those who beat me :cry:

Well done to all.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott

by Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Great shot, symbolised Glamour in my eyes
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Just out of curiousity Sir T, how close was the judging? Maybe some judges comments when they get a chance?
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 pm

I am going to put up the judges comments as soon as all 3 comments are in. I have 3 scores and 2 comments.

I am going to put the comments against each of the entries for reference.

JC
    John C.
    **PPOK**
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Wow, congrats on the entries and winners............Also thanks to Jason for making the comp possible.

I'd be very interested to read the comments made on the shots.

Congrats on the win Photoboy :D
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Sir Tristram wrote:I am going to put up the judges comments as soon as all 3 comments are in. I have 3 scores and 2 comments.

:oops:

Mine are coming - sorry for the delay !!
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
    wulos
    Cadet
    Cadet

by wulos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Very much a deserving win photoboy! Absolutely stunning capture.
    As mentioned above - I too would be interested in reading the comments as well.
    I would also like to thank all those involved with the competition, as it spurred me into picking up the camera & trying my hand at shooting a genre that I would otherwise not have done.
    3rd place - my first ever photography competition success, apart from the Capture of the week finalist selection a few weeks back. Proud moment for me.
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Proud moment for me

And so it should be Wulos, people photography is very very hard.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 pm

Congratulations to the winners and to all those who entered - well done
    Bob
    "Wake up and smell the pixels!"
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Wow.. I won something! !! My vote would have gone to "H" as well. Love the Art Deco feel to it..
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    wanderer51

by wanderer51 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 pm

Congratulations Photoboy. Well deserved as IMO it epitomises the Glamour shots of the 50s and early 60s.
  • Walter Glover

by Walter Glover » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:54 am

Sorry to be so late posting my comments.

A & B
      There is an ease and comfort here with these two shots (which I assume to be from the same author) that is very reassuring. And the model is quite a glamorous woman. All the elements in the shot are fine and there is much that could be made of them but sadly I feel that opportunities have not been capitalised upon from a glamour perspective. More attention to grooming, pose and gesture would have helped enormously and these generaly are a product of pre-planning in detail and preparation. Whilst the shots might miss the 'glamour' brief a bit they are nevertheless nice moments well captured.

C
      I thought this was a valiant effort. GLAMOUR is a much broader church than just lad's mags and cheesecake and this little cracker exemplifies that fact. There is room to play with getting a better use of the light and I feel that a little looser cropping might have been more in keeping with the era represented. I always love to see people think outside the box and this production has certainly displayed that.

D
      A lot of consideration went into this but despite the expanse of bare skin it does not say 'glamour' to me. Skillful lighting, a gem of a model and a nice idea. But it misses in the motivation (or lack thereof) in the pose and gesture. Where I expect to see the model flirtatious or enticing she is actually a little stiff and uncertain - more like stripping off for the doctor. Keep coming up with the ideas but put more effort into 'DIRECTING' a performance from the model rather than just posing her. It is a real boon to see such lovely real skin and the tonality is quite lovely.

E
      Classic cheesecake and, like so much glamour work, verging on the cliché without taking that step firther to add a spot of parody. The model is gorgeous and sultry enough to get away with a bit of a piss take but somehow it is just too 'real glamour' for me.

F
      I placed this shot an equal second. I love it and the expression is so fitting for the accessories and the hair do. Don't take offence but I find the background wonderfully kitsch which further adds to the zaniness and spirit. Another example of thinking outside the square. Excellent.

G
      So near and yet so far. There is a great European movement for this sort of juxtaposition of the glamorous and the banal and this could make it to that with a little less cross-lighting and a bit more confrontational gesture. Somehow I want to mess the hair and smudge the lipstick and make a bit more of the stuff back on the shelf. The model looks incredibly capable and I doubt she would have a problem in turning on a bit of drama or mystique if asked.

H
      When I was a teenager my mate up the street and I used to stay up late a night drinking coffee and playing cards with a deck of 'hot' cards with Vargas girls on them. This photo takes me back to that. Some may say it is clich´but I feel it is a retro homage to a style of the past - and a bit of a parody. I have pondered long and hard about the nose shadow on the lips and in the end I like it because it sends-up the era. I guess I have reached a similar resolution about the hair looking to be almost blown at this end. But the thing that really sets this shot apart is that the model is SO convincingly playing out the part. It is as though she truly believes in it and has a cocktail bar in the corner of her longe with the green lady painted on velvet hanging above it. The catchlight in the eye is masterful!!

I
      I cannot speak of this shot from a judging point of view but I must comment on how much I like the opposing areas of colour in what is essentially a pretty monochromatic shot. The red pants offset by the contrasting green blob of light rather strongly tops and tails the expanse of body colour in between. Very much in the idiom of a major market sector of today it is a punchy dynamic cheesecake shot that could grace the pages of any of a number of automotive and lads' mags. I can't not mention, however, how disturbing I find the ear sticking out from behind the pigtail and there is too much of the whites of the eyes showing for me. If the face were turned slightly more towards camera the eyes would be fixed and perhaps a more flattering form to the face might result.

J
      This shot really grows on me and I gave it equal second, although I can't for the life of me remember why I did not place it first. I would love to think that this is the future of 'glamour' in a post-modernist, post feminism world. More than in any other shot here this model is empowered. She is in control and you will just have to take her as she is of forget it. There is so much going on here. I love it. The location and the weather lend an almost eerie apocalyptic sort of feel to the shot. There is desolation and desparation. I know exactly what I want to do. This shot strips away all the bulldust of the 'cliché T&A' shot.

K
      I lke this shopt and I like the moment it preserves but there is just onbe thing that lets it down for me. The MOUTH EXPRESSION. The mouth just fails to live up to the promises of all the other clues. The eyes are nothing short of sensational and they go beyond enticing into some feeling of daring me. The eyes are so strong (in concert with the line of the arm going out of shot to the right) that I am not concerned that the symmetry of the breast closer to the deck has been disadvantaged by a hungry bra cup. (By the way, did I say that I love white, white skin?)

The standard of work and the application of craft in this competition has been very reassuring that there is a vibrant and healthy group of people here who can take on what is one the most difficult and yet most meaningless aspects of photography and to keep their eye on the ball and not fall into the common trap of having their broain wander south..
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:15 am

errr... what is the story with "I" .. Its definitely worth a placing...
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:19 am

Loved the comments on the pictures by the different judges.