Tall ships in the Port this Saturday and Sunday
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Tall ships in the Port this Saturday and Sunday

by Eden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 am

There is good weather this weekend and on Saturday or Sunday I am getting out the gear and heading to the Port

Any one interested?

from the Advertiser on the 26th
    ================

"The biggest gathering of tall ships in South Australia in 25 years will take place in Port Adelaide in August.

SA Maritime Museum director Kevin Jones has persuaded the operators of three Dutch tall ships en route to the International Fleet Review in Sydney to stay over at Port Adelaide.

"They were planning to come for a day and we just said we would welcome them and put on a party for the crew and captains and they said maybe they could stay a bit longer," Mr Jones said.

The Dutch ships will be joined by the Maritime Museum's Falie and One & All to fill the Inner Harbour at Port Adelaide with sailing vessels of another era.

The three Dutch tall ships are Oosterschelde, Europa and Tecla.

The Oosterschelde, a 50-metre, three-masted topsail schooner of 400 tonnes, is the last of her kind, fully restored in the 1990s.

The ships will be open to the public on the weekend of August 31 and September 1, before sailing on to Sydney via Hobart.

Yesterday, the three tall ships were east of Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, racing each other to Western Australia.

The visit will enable Port Adelaide to relive its glory days as a busy tall ships port. Mr Jones said the SA Maritime Museum would stage a festival of maritime trades to go with the tall ships visit."
    ================

!!!!Finally some sunshine to go with it also !!!!!

spectacular looking ships and the pic from the paper
    http://resources2.news.com.au/images/20 ... -promo.jpg

I will try for an early at 7 am or earlier and will be at the big boats in the murky water of the Port near the beacon at the end of Port road

http://www.dutchtallships.com
    http://www.portenf.sa.gov.au/page.aspx? ... =0&c=36997

eden

(pm me for contact numbers if needed)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Tall ships in the Port this Saturday and Sunday

by Busiboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Too far for me, I hope you can get some decent shots without the crowds
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Would love to go, but I have a lot on my plate this week and leaving for two weeks in NZ on Sunday.

Will have to see on the day.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:53 am

I can't make it either Eden, but hope you get some amazing pictures.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:47 am

Yeah John I hope I get some good ones as well but I reckon I will get some blown out sky areas again trying to get detail out of the ships masts and rope splices etc

I bet you cant wait to get away Doug ,I hope you give the 6d a flogging over there (are you just taking the 24-105 with you?)

Cheers Scott, the crowds Irk me but I want to try and get some of the skills involved in the ships like the rope splices or wood carving and the likes so hopefully I can squeeze some of the people out of the way or in a few shots at least. (beans and garlic the night before might be the answer) cheers for the light meter ,just downloaded the instructions for it so will start to work it out :)

It is looking like Sunday morning for me so it will be an early possibly 5.45 as sunrise is 6.40ish, sunny with cloud and 25 degrees with 30km winds

fingers crossed for the weather

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 pm

I might be into this 1 just have to see if I can get everything done ready for the back to work on Monday after a mth off.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:16 pm

I bet you cant wait to get away Doug ,I hope you give the 6d a flogging over there (are you just taking the 24-105 with you?)

Yep I need a holiday after the past week.
    The only other suitable lens I have at the moment is a probably first gen EF 55-200mm kit lens.
    Its not great, the vignetting is noticeable even in the view finder despite being EF.
    The lens is light enough to take anyway if I need the extra reach.

I did a big landscape expedition of the lower South Island two trips ago.
    Someone loaned me a people mover van and it was just me so I just did 4 solid days of photography, sleeping in the van when the light to photograph by went away.
    My idea of photography bliss.
    I used to load my med format film camera into a back pack with a tent and sleeping bag and jump on the motor bike for destinations unknown.
    I like the van idea better now, particularly when it can absolutely bucket down when you get the the West Coast of the South Island.

My employer went into liquidation on Monday, so I need to watch the pennies for now while I'm over there staying with family.
    My home town of Oamaru has whole streets of fantastic old buildings. It was a thriving port town in the good old days and local lime stone is in abundance there so there are a lot of grand looking beautifully calved faciers. So much to photograph there with a new appreciation.

I have a lot of leave and long service to get back from the formerly known as GEERS.
    I have heard of case of more than a year for that to happen, but hello kit additions when it does.
    Last edited by Doug on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Doug,

I have the "old" EF 75-300 IS if you need ,
    feel free to hit me up for it if it gives you less vignetting than the kit 250 ( you would have better resources to check this than me)

sorry to hear about work
    ( if it leaves you with too much time on your hands we can hit the block for a few days if the urge strikes with the better weather coming )

If I dont hear from you for the lens Enjoy the trip. :)

Back to work Monday !!! I would like to feel sorry for you Simsy :)
    give me a hoy if you want to meet up Sunday morning

eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 am

Eden wrote:Doug,

I have the "old" EF 75-300 IS if you need ,
    feel free to hit me up for it if it gives you less vignetting than the kit 250 ( you would have better resources to check this than me)

sorry to hear about work
    ( if it leaves you with too much time on your hands we can hit the block for a few days if the urge strikes with the better weather coming )

Thanks for the generous offers.
    I'll be fine I'm sure with the 24-105L, longer lenses are not part of my shooting habits at the moment.
    Its a bit, you don't miss what you don't have.

I've have continuous employment for 35 yrs since I left school in my trade of foundry patternmaking. Three of us in that trade and five from another place where layed off in the last week.
    It appears manufacturing in this country is going down the toilet.
    Some foundries are getting their pattern tooling done in China where the price including shipping is what we quote for the materials alone.

Its all a bit short sited and the skill base will have gone before long. End of rant :)
    I progressed into Computer Aided Design CAD and CNC router machining, so I have a few more options still open to we than the others.

Here is Big Bertha (9m long table) making half a ski boat hull. This is set up two because it was about 20% longer than the available travel.
    I also ran Wallace a 5m table 3 axis and Gromit a 1.6m sq table 5 axis machine.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Doug, I've got a Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 that has been modified with an EF mount. Full manual though. You're free to use it if you want something with some reach to it. Optically it's CA free once you get past f/8. Has been fully stripped down and cleaned recently, when it was converted for me from FD mount. I've been pleasantly surprised by it's quality for a nearly 30 year old lens.

Sorry to hear about the work front, we were just talking about manufacturing in Australia and other Western countries this afternoon with the boys (we homeschool). We got to the point of what's China going to do when they get undercut by India or whomever does it to them? I hope you land on your feet.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:16 pm

We got to the point of what's China going to do when they get undercut by India or whomever does it to them? I hope you land on your feet.

I bought a new pair of denum jeans from BigW today for $8.50.
    Made in Bangladesh as it turns out.

I've got a Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 that has been modified with an EF mount. Full manual though. You're free to use it if you want something with some reach to it.

Na I'll be fine with the 55-200mm its not perfect but its light and small for travel, but thanks.
    The beauty of a full frame is you can afford to crop away a bit of corner vignetting, then correct anything left.

Its always in my camera bag, but I've probably only found a need for it just couple of times with the new camera.
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Hey Eden did you know that the ships are leaving in the morning
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Arggh I just knocked off work and there is a port game on (the last one at west lakes) and as usual the roads locally are like a video game ,so I might venture out in an hour if I am brave enough.

will see how I feel but hopefully the Falie and One And All might still be on display,

cheers for the heads up.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 pm

They leave at 10 am ish

early morning on the way:)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • philwillmedia

by philwillmedia » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:38 am

I so wanted to see this.
    Of all the weeks I've had to come to Alice Springs...
    Regards,
    Phil

2011 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Accredited Photographer
    2009 Catch Fence Photo of the Year | 2008, 2009 & 2010 SA Rally Photographer of the Year

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia