Hearts Mill access for a meet ?
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Hearts Mill access for a meet ?

by Eden » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:57 pm

For those in Adelaide interested I am in discussion with Renewal SA as to gaining access to Hearts Mill for hopefully a minimum four hour period for photography.

At the moment I am fairly confident it may come to fruition and would like some idea of those interested so I can give an indication of numbers.

It should be on a Saturday or Sunday and if all goes well would be 3 -5 weeks away or there abouts.

Cheers Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Hearts Mill access for a meet ?

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Much as I'd love to have a poke around in there, I'm gonna have to pass on this one. :(
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:09 pm

I will be interested as long as its less than 2 weeks away or more than 5 weeks away. I will be Over Seas in the middle bit. God I need the practice I haven't actually picked up the camera since Easter.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Count me in Eden.
    Neil and Henny who came to the last Port meet could be penciled in.
    Neil has sports commitments often with his Kids, particularly Saturday. I'll ask when we have a day in mind, so he can give a definite answer.

I imagine there is no power on in the building for lights?
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I am to find out the details shortly but my assumption is that there would be no power and timing of the shoot is one of the things I wanted to discuss, would evening to after sunset be the best as to light coming in through windows/contrast etc ?

I will try and get it for late September sometime to accommodate Simsy as it is always good to catch up with the usual suspects.

I will find out more details and wait for a little to see how many are in.

I have been itching to get in here for years and the hair on the back of my neck is up!

:)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm

If it's a bit later on, count me in!

Check out "the photographers ephemeris" to see the angles of the sun for particular dates and locations. You can work out exactly where the light will be for any time and place. The link to it I provided just now is set to September 20th 2014 at 5pm, which has the sun at an angle of about 14 degrees above the horizon and at an angle that runs almost parallel to Semaphore Road and Hart Streets, to give an idea of where the light may fall as it slips behind Newport Quays on that day.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:52 am

Oh and Eden any chance you could clean out some of the pidgin pop first LOL
    evat601

by evat601 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:39 am

Pencil me in.
  • bradkak

by bradkak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 pm

I'd like to come along depending on the date!

Unfortunately the last few events have been the few times I've actually had stuff on.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 pm

bradkak wrote:I'd like to come along depending on the date!

Unfortunately the last few events have been the few times I've actually had stuff on.

Hope you can make it Brad.
    It's been a while since we saw you last at the zoo meet.
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Any more news on this Eden???
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I have given it a fortnight to the day since my last contact and will call them at 9.05 on the dot to see what is happening.

If they show any reluctance I will go see my local MP on monday and stir the pot a little.

I will post Tuesday morn in regard to this.

( I have a few cards up my sleeve so I'm quietly comfortable I will have some success. I want unsupervised access so I am pushing the boundaries a little )
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 pm

If it turns out you need to make a case for getting in, then it might interest you that some photographers got access in the past month.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I looked up some of the stand out photographers that Alex and I saw in the weekend at the Shimmer exhibitions.
    One from the display of photos taken in Syria (that Alex has already mention) was writer, satirist and it turns out photographer Bryan Dawe.

I did not make the connection of the name at the time, but he is probably best know for the political satire he does with John Clarke in "A current affair" and for the series "The Games".

But anyway he is a local Port boy and he gave a small tour and talk through the mill recently it turns out.
    So there is a precedence for access.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Well I have organised the 18th (sat) October from 9am till 3pm unsupervised (hopefully) access.

My ABN and Public liability insurance will be used for us to have access so I will need a "statuatory decleration" signed on the day as I want "no liability" if you fall through a hole in the floor , But I want first dibs on your camera gear at the same time :laugh:

My assumption is you will need a torch or head/light as a minimum safety wise, and a cheap $7 high vis vest from bunnings would cover your "occ health and safety needs"

I will require a Personal message to be sent to me with your name and mobile/contact number and an emergency contact (next of kin ) number in it.
    Also in the personal message I need you to acknowledge that "you have read this post/thread" and relinquish all claim for liability onsite on the day and it is assumed that by you taking part that this is understood.

Anyhow as it is bureaucracy at its best I will keep you all in the loop as things change /alter/fall through :D

cheers Eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:42 pm

I might be around then I'm heading back over the ditch for Mum's 80th.
    Will know for sure when I start looking up flights.

The provisos don't sound to bad for some fairly exclusive access.