Question from a another newbie
    MissB

Question from a another newbie

by MissB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 am

:greets: Hi,
    I just joined the forum and I am eager to dive into this all head first once I get my hands on a camera.
    So I am hoping that I can find some guidance in here.

I’ve read a few posts from the other newbie’s and I just wanted to ask a quick question as well...
    :paparrazi:
    IM looking at buying my first DSLR this Christmas as my poor old point and shoot camera is sadly outdated and ready to live in my glove box for the rest of its days.

I am on a budget of about $1200; although I may be able push it about $300 more once I find out if I am getting a bonus at work or not this Christmas. But currently I’m working on no Bonus.

So I know nothing absolute complete beginner I’m planning on enrolling in some digital courses at my local community college as soon as the new year gets under way but I wanted to get the camera over Christmas so I can start to "play with it"
    I am happy to buy more lenses in the New Year if I am advised to.

I have been spending a lot of time reading reviews and searching and comparing cameras. :?

Originally I was going to buy a D60 w/18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR Twin kit and if I needed different lenses I could buy them in the New Year. Price about $1099

But :doubt:

But now looking at the D80 as it seems to be a better camera and is still within my price range. So now I’m leaning towards a D80 Twin Lens Kit with 18-55mm & 70-300mm AF lens. Price about $1149

So how important is the VR?
    I am mainly going to be shooting landscapes, wildlife and some family and friends, im also planning on going to Japan on holidays in the next year so I will be wanting to take lots of photos then again prbably mainly landscapes, touristy things and people.
    Of course any advice on other lenses and or accessories I might need is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance
    Becki
    て を 打てば
    こだま に あくる
    夏の月

as I clap my hands
    with the echoes, it begins to dawn -
    the summer moon
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am

I would seriously have a look at the other brands which have image stabilization built into the body which then makes all lenses
    stabilized.
    Sony and Pentax are two that offer this feature.

Most here will push you toward Nikon or Canon for what ever reason.

Any Digital SLR will take a very good image these days....

Welsome to the forum. :D
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK
    MissB

by MissB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 pm

HI Bodak,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I will continue to broaden my search as well as look at options with the Nikon.

Thanks
    Becki
    て を 打てば
    こだま に あくる
    夏の月

as I clap my hands
    the summer moon
    Avalon
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Avalon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum! :)
    The Nikon D80 was my first DSLR and I found it easy to use and learn on.
    I combined it with the 18-200mm lens and still think this is a great combination for travel. So versatile, and you don't have to carry extra lenses and swap them around in awkward situations.
    You can always buy "better" lenses as you can afford them and learn what lens is best for the type of photography you find you are most interested in.
    I have added other lenses as I've gone along, but I wouldn't part with my 18-200mm. For travel and versatility, it's simply great.
    Have fun :D
    Karen

D700, D300, 20mm, 24-70mm, 70-200, Sigma 150macro.
    MissB

by MissB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks karen,
    I iwll have a look at some other lens combos with Nikon as well.
    Teh idea of not havign to swap lens to much while im learnign is a good hting : ) and of course im happy to buy more lenses later.

Do you think VR is important or just leanr to have steady hand.
    て を 打てば
    こだま に あくる
    夏の月

as I clap my hands
    the summer moon
    Avalon
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Avalon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:11 pm

I think VR is a great help, especially if you want to shoot moving subjects like wildlife.
    At this stage you probably don't have a tripod to steady your camera, and if you're travelling you may not want to carry that extra weight.
    One thing to consider is if/when you get a tripod, don't buy a cheap one, save up and get the best you can afford. The cheap ones are a waste of time and money.
    Karen

D700, D300, 20mm, 24-70mm, 70-200, Sigma 150macro.
    bigdazzler
    Cadet
    Cadet

by bigdazzler » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm

welcome to the mad house becki :D

I dot use NIKON gear so cant really advise there .. Dug will be in very shortly to tell you how god himself shoots with Nikon :D
    Darren.
    CC please. PP OK.
    My RedBubble .. http://darrengray.redbubble.com
    MissB

by MissB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi BigDazzler,
    Im still open to suggestions of other DSLR's.

Any help is appreciated

Becki
    て を 打てば
    こだま に あくる
    夏の月

as I clap my hands
    the summer moon
  • fillum

by fillum » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Welcome Becki. Basically VR keeps the lens steady when taking a shot. It allows you to shoot at slower shutter speeds (ie in darker light) without camera/lens shake affecting your image. VR is more useful at long focal lengths because any camera movement is exaggerated in the image. VR doesn't really help with moving subjects because even though the lens is kept still, the subject is still moving (although it might be helpful with panning shots - I'm not sure).

My preference would be the D80 over the D60 because the D80 has a "screw drive" in the camera body to drive autofocus lenses. This means that any Nikkor "AF" (autofocus) lens will autofocus on the D80. The D60 doesn't have the screw drive so only Nikkor lenses with a built-in focus motor will autofocus on the D60. (These lenses are labelled "AF-S" in Nikon terminology). Therefore the D80 gives you a wider choice of autofocus lenses including great primes which can be picked up for a few hundred dollars. It also gives you access to a wider range of used lenses which can often be picked up cheaply.

I think the 18-55mm and 70-300mm both come in VR and non-VR versions. From the price I assume the D80 kit you mentioned above comes with non-VR versions. The older non-VR 70-300mm does not have a great reputation, but I understand the newer VR version is much better. You can get D80 kits with VR versions of these lenses but the price runs at around $1700-1800.

One option for you might be to get a D80 kit with just the 18-55mm (non-VR to minimise cost), then if you get your bonus purchase the 70-300mm VR later. The main thing is to shop around to see what options and deals are available. I would think that shops holding D80 stock would be keen to move them.

Cheers.
    Phil.
    MissB

by MissB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the advice. I will definately take that on board, It is probably a good thing I dont get paid till next week otherwise i just kow id be out shopping for a camera this weekend coming, but this will force me to spend another weeek at least weighing up my options.

Im pretty sure im leaning towards the D80 as well its just the lens's i need to sort and the suggestion of getting one now to get me started and another lens when i get the "Bonus" if it appears is a good one.

Thanks
    Becki
    て を 打てば
    こだま に あくる
    夏の月

as I clap my hands
    the summer moon
    Karrossa

by Karrossa » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:04 pm

bigdazzler wrote:Dug will be in very shortly to tell you how god himself shoots with Nikon :D

No I don't! I use Canon.
  • nito
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by nito » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:39 pm

There are two 70-300 mm lens for nikon.

1. is garbage 70-300 F4-5.6 AF G
    2. is okay 70-300 F4.5-5.6 AFS VR

Check that you get the second one if you go for the D80. There is also two versions of the 18-55.

The 18-55 VR AFS F3.5-5.6 DX is the good one. The non-VR one is slow and at times painful to use.

My advice is get a D80 if you want a camera you can grow with as your skills improve. Invest in a good lens.

Get a D60 or D40 for most things and invest in great lenses. That way you will get top notch image quality.
    Hello what signature is here right now?
    the_pezman

by the_pezman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:55 pm

welcome aboard missb (:

another advocate for nikon here, speshly the d80

if i had to choose a diff. brand i would go the pentax. weather sealing on entry level models is one up on any other brand and quite alot cheaper

as for the vr it only really helps on longer lenses imo, unless you have a very unsteady hand, but thats what a tripod or flash is for (:
    i got pictures to prove it
    MissB

by MissB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:11 pm

OK so after some more searching i found a D80 that comes with 18-55 VR lens and because its only $1100 I might be able to swing from the same place for an extra lens either

Definetely buy as well a

A) Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-200mm for $349

or instead and depending on bonus get a

B) AFS 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6GVR Zoom for $749.95

if there is no bonus do you think its worth spending the $350 on the 55-200?? for now because i wont be able to buy another lens until feb.

This is becoming a harder and harder to decide on the more i research.
    I definately need to stay within a budget though and the option that comes in under $1500 is looking good ot me at this point in time
    て を 打てば
    こだま に あくる
    夏の月

as I clap my hands
    the summer moon
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Welcome Becki,

Good choice with the Nikon !! :wink:

With regard to the D60 vs D80.. .. I would actually recommend the D60 instead of the D80. for the following reasons.
    1) Its cheaper.. its got the same number of MP
    2) Its newer technology than the D80. The processor and software in the camera is better. eg :- It has Active D-Lighting which brings out more detail in the dark and bright areas . better colour etc. and better at High ISO compared to the D80.
    3) Its lighter.
    4) It works with all the new lenses that you would be getting( on a budget..)
    5) it has all the basic functionality if you need it.
    6) Its designed to be a transition camera for a person who is used to a P&S camera. with all the nice presets etc. if you have used SLR (film) cameras before then the D80/D90 would be the better choice.
    7) The D60 has a better LCD.

There are a few other reasons I think but I cant think of them now :-)

With regard to the lens. Although the SLR is designed to heve interchangeable lenses .. I would suggest that if you are new to it. You should get one lens to start with, with a good range, so you don't have to be frustrated with changing lenses so often.

My suggestion for a lens with your D60 would be the new 18-105 VR.
    You can build a nice system around this base, I think. Everyone is different but this set up should cover almost all kinds of photography. Once you have played with this for half a year to a year or so. You will be able to gauge your own personal directions. Some guys here would be using a 100-400 lens 80% of the time, others would be using the 24-70, and still others love the 10-20 sigma. I myself could happily take lots photos with only my prime macro 150mm f2.8 sigma.

Since you are just starting. I would like to suggest that a simple generic setup would be best till you find your "view" of the world.

Hope this helps..

Oh PS: The money you save between the D80 and D60..... spend it on a good tripod (most underestimated equipment of a new SLR user) and a flash, like the SB600 or SB800 if you can get it cheap. One of the key advantages of the Nikon system is the excellent Flash capability, worth switching systems just for that :twisted: (You hear that canonites )
    Last edited by heartyfisher on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.