Nikon for my daughter . . .
  • r2160

Nikon for my daughter . . .

by r2160 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi all

I have a Nikon D70 that has been a great camera.

My daughter is 14 and has shown some interest in photography.

Now given what kids can be like, I didnt want to spend a heap of money on a camera for her at her age, given that it might be a fad.

Ideally, I would like to get her a camera that will also accept the lenses that I already have (70-300, 24-120VR, SB800)

I am not fazed about new or second hand (good condition).

Suggestions?

cheers
    Glenn
  • Mattyp

by Mattyp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:34 pm

maybe you could get yourself a new d7000 and hand the d70 down to your daughter? 8)
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm

If I were buying a young daughter a camera personally I would go for a p&s so she can take it out with her friends keep it in her purse,cheap to replace if she leaves it around etc, I have a canon d10 p&s I think you can get them for about 2-300 if you shop around, the beauty of it,drop proof waterproof 12mp kid proof pretty good fun taking it in ocean and stuff with you,I'm sure every other maker does a similar thing but it's honestly traveled the world and done a great job. If she's interested in a more prof style why not lend her your camera save the coin and make sure it's not just a fad.
    canon 5Dmk2, EF24-105L IS USM,Ef16-35 f2.8L II USM,Ef 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM, photo shop cs5, photomatix.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sclater29/
    SundstromImages

by SundstromImages » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Are you lenses both AFS lenses?

If so the D3100 & D5100 are decent options.

maybe you could get yourself a new d7000 and hand the d70 down to your daughter?

I think that is a perfectly acceptable idea.

A d90 would also be a decent step up from the d70.
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Mattyp wrote:maybe you could get yourself a new d7000 and hand the d70 down to your daughter? 8)

That is the way I would be thinking. Even a D5100 for you will be a big step up from the D70.
    My son is currently using my old D50 for exactly the same reasons.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Your daughter is a person of tomorrow, why give her kit of yesterday? The DSLR will be dead as the dodo in a few years . Give her a mirrorless compact or a P&S so she can be part of her own generation.

Mind you, when I was a kid ANY camera would have lit up my eyes, so I guess it is all really a tad academic.

Have fun,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • r2160

by r2160 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.I dont know that I agree that DSLR will be gone in a couple of years. I still reckon that enthusiasts will still use them. I love mine, I just dont get much time to use it.

I have been looking for a second hand D70 but havent had any luck.

I never thought about a point and shoot. Definately something to consider.

Just been looking and saw the Coolpix L120. Any opinions?

cheers
    Glenn
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:04 pm

What's your budget?

There's a lot of possibilities, I'd go a cheap body and prime compatible to yours.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:08 pm

r2160 wrote:Just been looking and saw the Coolpix L120. Any opinions?

Personally I wouldn't. The real question is what is the budget?
  • r2160

by r2160 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi all

Given her age, I was thinking 2-300. Was kind of keen not to exceed that but a little here and there would be OK.

cheers
    Glenn
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Just looked at ebay Australia. There are two D50s listed at the moment. They "should" sell in that range and imo they are a better camera image wise than the D70 anyway.
    For $2-300 you really aren't going to get much more than a standard auto everything p&s new which may in many ways defeat the purpose so if you definitely want a DSLR for her I think ebay for a D50/70/70s will be your only real option.
    ECS in Sydney currently have a 26k actuation D200 for $495 and two D90s for $695 and $750 if you want to go the new camera for you route.
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Given your budget I'd deff look at p&s being a girl she's probably more concerned with it's color than specifications, go to a shop have a play with a few not to mention hit up Cnet.com.au for reviews, take her to the shop and let her pick one that looks good so she will at least use it, can't talk up enough buying a tough camera you can submerge them,drop from 2m,use in extreme temperatures,underwater, most take ok punishment but the tougher ones just ask you to try and break em.
    canon 5Dmk2, EF24-105L IS USM,Ef16-35 f2.8L II USM,Ef 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM, photo shop cs5, photomatix.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sclater29/
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 am

The camera chosen should give a manual option so she can learn about depth of field, shutter speed and exposure.

Not many p&s will manage that in your price range. Older bodies often have redeeming features, it isn't all abut he late stand greatest.

I'm holding back suggesting film, she may be too young you appreciate it.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:21 am

In the price range you could do the really great thing and get her a film slr and let her REALLY learn about photography as they teach it in tech colleges. But that in turn involves a whole other tranche of issues like a darkroom.

Stick with the Point & Shoot idea. Let her get a TASTE of what photography is and can be in a way that will fit right in with her lifestyle as a teenage over the next few years. After all, a camera is about capturing life and the world around us and if the bulk of the kit means it is a special extra to lug around she may develop notions that photography is only about special moments of staged life.

Once she is bitten by the bug there is plenty of time later on to learn about apertures, depth of field, shutter speeds and stuff — IF any of that really matters to her.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:58 am

Glenn save you money for a baseball bat OMG the 14teens :lol: If you daughter hasn't asked to use you camera or take it out she may just not be as interested as you think
    Boys will be along soon and coffee with the girls ect ect The camera wont see light of day after 3 weeks buy her a iPhone 4s its got a good camera and she will love you more than a D3100 / P&S what ever