Doubtless someone will be impressed

by W G » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Da movie:

http://vimeo.com/36305675

Da behind da scenes"

http://vimeo.com/36306101

Hehehe,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Now that's fuzking impressive
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 am

Makes you wonder if traditional video cameras are doomed.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:20 am

I'd suggest that the hype expressed in the video is largely just that. The motion picture boys have been using the EOS 5D MkII since its release and the new Canon is supposed to be even better than the 5D.

It would be a tough task to knock off the RED but the DSLRs have certainly made an impression on the market - the the point that Panavision are going the way of Kodak.

At the low end of the video business such as domestic work like weddings I think it is a no brainer. I probably host about 30 or 40 weddings a year and they all have guys with rigged up 5Ds shooting the video. Haven't seen an actual video camera in years.

And the bloody accessories for the wretched things — all scaled down and portable — like dolly tracks, steadicams, follow focus kit and so forth.

The trend would appear to be that all new innovation is for the MP guys and us stills shooters are more or less left with what's leftover.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 am

Dug wrote:Makes you wonder if traditional video cameras are doomed.

I spent the weekend at Mt Wilson near Lithgow NSW watching the making of 5 minutes of The Great Gatsby . it was amazing what goes into 5 minutes of a movie 100+ people 10 trucks of gear a canteen with 6 staff 4 generators just one could run a small town. What also caught my eye was the video cameras been used there were numerous Canon 5D II ? things mounted on massive slide rails things (Im not very video technical :D ) . While having lunch at the canteen I spoke to one of 8 camera operators and he said the uses of DSLR for video has been the biggest advancement in filming in the last years . He explained that they can use many cameras on a certain clip due to there relative low price .
    The use of up to 10 cameras makes it possible to take footage from 10 angles. In the past where using 3 cameras the clip may need to be re shot many time to get thee same effect.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

LOZ wrote:
    Dug wrote:Makes you wonder if traditional video cameras are doomed.

I spent the weekend at Mt Wilson near Lithgow NSW watching the making of 5 minutes of The Great Gatsby . it was amazing what goes into 5 minutes of a movie 100+ people 10 trucks of gear a canteen with 6 staff 4 generators just one could run a small town. What also caught my eye was the video cameras been used there were numerous Canon 5D II ? things mounted on massive slide rails things (Im not very video technical :D ) . While having lunch at the canteen I spoke to one of 8 camera operators and he said the uses of DSLR for video has been the biggest advancement in filming in the last years . He explained that they can use many cameras on a certain clip due to there relative low price .
    The use of up to 10 cameras makes it possible to take footage from 10 angles. In the past where using 3 cameras the clip may need to be re shot many time to get thee same effect.

Freaking amazing!!!!
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK