Oldish Manual Focus Lens
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

Oldish Manual Focus Lens

by DJT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Here's one for the old school togs.
    I just bought myself a 135mm f/2.8 Ai lens.
    Jus wondering about the focus ring stiffness.
    I would have though that I would have been able to focus reasonably easily with 1 finger, but I need thumb & finger with a little effort in some spots.
    Maybe it just hasn't been used for a while & will loosen up with some use.
    Would it cost much for a service if that is what would be needed to loosen it up

Other than being a bit stiff I'm glad I bought it.

First pic OOC
    @ 2.8
    I now know I need to add .7 to 1 stop exp in the majority of shots with this lens

And it does alright when you get it right
    Just a snap shot
    David
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

I would have though that I would have been able to focus reasonably easily with 1 finger, but I need thumb & finger with a little effort in some spots.
    Maybe it just hasn't been used for a while & will loosen up with some use.

to be honest, it may loosen up a bit but not much from my experience, typically the old lens get stiff when teh grease on the helicoid thread gets old, drys up or just gets 'gummy'

Its a fairly simple process to re grease the helicoid thread, but obviously

1) you need the skill to be able to disassemble the lens, which is not that hard with teh old manual ones
    2) you need a replacement grease, silicone based ones are good and also White Lithium Grease are suitable.

a service on the lens would probably cost as much as the lens if not more.
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks Gerry, it's not bothering me that much as I am guestimating the focal distance before putting camera to my eye & then fine tuning from there.
    Not quite ready for fast moving objects just yet. Practice practice practice.
    David
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

gerry wrote:a service on the lens would probably cost as much as the lens if not more.

Not forgetting that a lens service will make it just like new.

Something worth considering if you want to raise the enjoyment factor out of you lens.

Check around as there are always Lens technicians that will do a great job and not charge as much as Nikon.
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Try leaving it out in the sun on a warm day, ( warm not hot )

let it warm/ rack it in and out a few times/ let it warm/ repeat.

This may soften up gummed up grease and allow you to get it moving again.

Giving lenses a regular dose of sunlight never hurts as it is a great anti fungal anyway.

Remember it is a lens so never leave it where it can focus the suns rays on anything flammable :shock:

I do know someone who left a glass stopper from a wine decanter on the floor one night and woke to find a neat hole burned into his carpet from the sunlight. :roll: :wink:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Ken, the service & coming back like new was something that I kept in the back of my mind when buying this particular lens.

Dug, I'll give your suggestion a go tomorrow. With great care not to set my desk on fire :twisted:
    David
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Dug, I'll give your suggestion a go tomorrow. With great care not to set my desk on fire

have a camera ready in case you do

I want to see photos :lol:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Dug wrote:
    Dug, I'll give your suggestion a go tomorrow. With great care not to set my desk on fire

have a camera ready in case you do

I want to see photos :lol:

How will he take the photo is the lens is setting fire to the desk :oops: :oops:

Okay so this is a tangent, many years ago while still in the Airfarce the mates and I used to go out shooting. When we returned home we would sit around the kitchen table and clean the weapons, lock them away and then crack out the coldies.

One such event had been range practice day which meant everything we had, pistols, semi-autos, bolts etc had been sighted and now had to be cleaned the last weapon to be cleaned was the pump action 12g shottie.

We were at a mates who shared his house with some ardent peace loving war hating hippie arty types. Said lead male hippie walks in with entourage and says "Well now Mr Warmonger your gun is in pieces and there are more of us than you, how fast can you get that gun together, where are your friends now, what answer do you have....."

My mate didn't even look up and didn't even miss a beat, he pulled his 9mm pistol out of his shoulder holster and said "You best have 16 friends, because I have 15 rounds in here" re-holstered and kept cleaning the shottie.

Hippie crew said nothing and left.
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    Chris Sitnik

by Chris Sitnik » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 am

That wasn't a tangent, that was more perpendicular :p
    Looks like you've scored with this lens, nice crisp photos you have there... I'd be getting it serviced.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am

David,

Possibly an absolute cracker of a lens, well worth taking it to someone capable and getting a clean and lube.

Get it down to ECS at Drummoyne and they can get Legend to have a look at it for you.

Regards,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 am

Chris,

Maybe not so much perpendicular but totally irrelevant to the discussion and our craft. More the work of an agent provocateur.

Regards,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Massive tangent there Ken. I'll use another lens to take the photo of said burning desk :wink:

That's where I got my camera from Walter.
    Will the code word "Legend" get me a discount :lol:
    Might get on the dog & bone & have a chat with them through the week.
    David
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 am

I own the 135mm 2.8 also, the one I have is in immaculate condition and the focus is like a well lubed... hmm not sure where i was going there...anyway its very nice and damped yet easy to move.

I would not say its a cracker of a lens, fullstop. When you compare this to the 105mm 2.5 of the same era you will realise why, the 105mm is a much better focal length (this can be subjective) but it shits all over the 135mm in terms of contrast and rendition, note thats my experience. My 105mm is pretty beat up, the aperture is not snappy and teh body has seen better days, however the glass is in pretty good nick and i would typically take that over the 135mm on any given day.

I am gonna rework another old macro lens which has a terribly stiff focus ring soon, when I do I will let you know how it goes and how hard it is to do. Also if your looking for the correct (maybe suitable is a better word) grease look for Super Lube (Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE))
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks for your comments Gerry.
    I think even after a short time with my 135mm I would agree with your comments on contrast. I took a few pics of my daughter at the beach yesterday first with 35mm & then moved back with 135mm so she would take less notice of me (splash me a little less) & there is a big difference in the photos (at least I reckon there was).
    The 105 came into consideration, however at the time that I was shopping around the 135mm was within my budget constraints, the 105 was just out of reach.
    I was after a bit more reach than 105 too, although I do want a macro lens again (but that would be getting off topic :roll: ).
    Basically I don't like carrying 70-200 around with me all the time.
    I think the 135mm is the longest prime with the 52mm filter, which means I can now head out with my 35mm & 135mm and a ND & CP filter and I'm a happy man/boy :D
    David
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:23 pm

DJT wrote:

Basically I don't like carrying 70-200 around with me all the time.
    I think the 135mm is the longest prime with the 52mm filter, which means I can now head out with my 35mm & 135mm and a ND & CP filter and I'm a happy man/boy :D

Sounds like a good plan!
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.