d700 hotshoe and sb600 problems
    the_pezman

d700 hotshoe and sb600 problems

by the_pezman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 am

so ive done a bit of reading and it seems to be a common thing with the d700 hotshoe losing contact with the flash and misfiring after extensive use. not sure if i should go with a service repair (long out of warranty) or the ol rubber mallet route.

anyone have the same problem?

on a semi related note my sb600 has stopped firing, powers on ok, af and function changes are all fine but it doesnt fire not even from pushing the test button or from CLS.

took the body apart, couldnt see anything burnt, damaged or loose. pausing on opening the head cos it seems removing the rubbers may end up damaging/stretching them. any tips?
    i got pictures to prove it
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am

occasionally I need to remove and refit the flash but other than that no problems

perhaps a few gentle test taps ?

Is the camera insured ? Was it dropped on the flash hot shoe recently ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Had the same with a SB 800 it was just poo on the contacts .A drop of white vinegar on a cotton bud fixed it .
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm

My SB600 suffered the same problem (doesn't fire - even with test button but everything else seems to work fine). I believe the actual flash tube is dead and needs replacing - I took it in somewhere to get a quote to fix - about $170-200
    D7000,D90,8-16/4.5-5.6,12-24/4,17-50/2.8,18-200/3.5-5.6,50/1.4,90/2.8 Macro,70-200/2.8,70-300/4.5-5.6,SB-900&600,Sirui N2204+K20x,Manfrotto 190+488,Benro MC-91+BH-1
    Rodney - My Photo Blog
    PPOK
    the_pezman

by the_pezman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Dug wrote:occasionally I need to remove and refit the flash but other than that no problems

perhaps a few gentle test taps ?

Is the camera insured ? Was it dropped on the flash hot shoe recently ?

lol im a guy, the persuasive "taps" are the first thing you do to fix ANYTHING :lol:
    even tho its seen some tough times, i guard the thing with my life and have put my body on the line before i let any harm come to it. (plus my blood washed off of it reasonably easy lol :? )

LOZ wrote:Had the same with a SB 800 it was just poo on the contacts .A drop of white vinegar on a cotton bud fixed it .

if only. i give everything a good clean after each festival or event.

from my readings its such a common fault, nikon replaces the hotshoe no questions asked if its under warranty. strange cos ive had the d700 for about as long as i had the d80 but that never had any probs. if anything it had a harder life.

Remorhaz wrote:My SB600 suffered the same problem (doesn't fire - even with test button but everything else seems to work fine). I believe the actual flash tube is dead and needs replacing - I took it in somewhere to get a quote to fix - about $170-200

this sounds more like it but at that price, im struggling to see if its worth it

already got a sb700 on order for $300. if i pay $200 to get it fixed i wont get much more than that back if i sell it so might as well just sell it for parts.

dammit, -$300 from the d800 fund :cry:

thanks for the responses guys, now if youll excuse me i have to go whore myself out :oops:
    i got pictures to prove it
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 pm

thanks for the responses guys, now if youll excuse me i have to go whore myself out

What are you charging and what are you offering ?! :shock: :lol:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    cowsgomoo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by cowsgomoo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Dug wrote:
    thanks for the responses guys, now if youll excuse me i have to go whore myself out

What are you charging and what are you offering ?! :shock: :lol:

Didn't happen without pics. Um, never mind the pics... :shock:
    David

*** PPOK ***