Sydney visit and backfocus on my D7000 - call for help
  • tifkat

Sydney visit and backfocus on my D7000 - call for help

by tifkat » Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 pm

'allo all.

I'm coming over to Sydney late on Sunday night for a week of training for work. I'm bringing my D7000 and kit lense with me to try to get some shots to share with my family and perhaps some long exposure stuff or timelapse.

I reckon I have back focus issues though, and have done the tripod and test chart thing with my kit lens, and even tried some hand held stuff with a co-worker's 80-200 2.8D.

I'm staying and studying in the CBD, and was wondering if anyone with a bit more experience in this area and maybe with some different lenses (to my kit 18-105) might be interested in meeting up for a (short) night of food and photography?

tifkat
    Last edited by tifkat on Fri May 04, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Nikon D7000 + 18-105mm VR kit lens.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I would even though I'm not a nikonian, but I'll be west this weekend and you'll be and hour and a half away.

Enjoy your time in Sydney, how long are you in town do you have any other time free?
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • tifkat

by tifkat » Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

I should get in around 10.00-10.30 Sunday night and head home at ~7.00pm Friday night.

8-hour training days.. free other than that.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 04, 2012 2:49 pm

I thought you were looking to catch up this weekend, I should try reading what is written instead of what I imagine.

I'd be keen to catch up one night, say Wednesday night for a bit of a walk and shoot weather permitting.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • tifkat

by tifkat » Fri May 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Sounds good. Staying in the Travelodge Wynyard. Will setup something on Monday maybe? Got any favourite place to eat in the city?

It's been 8 years since I was in Sydney (Is that new tunnel coming in from Darling Harbour area finished yet? I don't even know where it is.. King St?)
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Darling Harbour tunnel ???

Nup, I priced one the other day that might be the one, goes from Wynyard station through to the Northern side of Darling harbour, they are calling it the Wynyard walk. Its the 3rd time I have priced it in 2 years
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 04, 2012 3:18 pm

We could walk around the QVB and town hall, there are a few restaurants around the joint.

Alternatively if you wanted to head down to Dawes point, there are a few decent shots down there under the bridge, the Opera House, the rocks etc.

Depends how far you want to get away fro your hotel, parking anywhere in there will be a nightmare, I'll probably train i tin.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • tifkat

by tifkat » Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Busiboy wrote:Darling Harbour tunnel ???

Looking on Google maps, it must be the Cross City Tunnel.

I used to work in a building on the corner of Clarence and King St, and it seems they've put in a bike/pedestrian lane on that road, which must be what I was thinking of.
  • tifkat

by tifkat » Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Busiboy wrote:We could walk around the QVB and town hall, there are a few restaurants around the joint.

QVB does nothing for me. :-D Mind you, the kids might like to see som piccies of it.

Alternatively if you wanted to head down to Dawes point, there are a few decent shots down there under the bridge, the Opera House, the rocks etc.

Dawsepoint, that's south of the opera house yeah? Is it where teh chair is? Some govenor's chair, or something? I paid a whole lot of attention while I was living there :-D

Depends how far you want to get away fro your hotel, parking anywhere in there will be a nightmare, I'll probably train i tin.

I don't mind at all really. Walking will be good after a day in the class room. I don't mind pubic transport. I used it predominantly when I lived there, and I use it here.
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Fri May 04, 2012 10:22 pm

a few of us will be at Dawes point on sunday for some moonage over the opera house.

Regarding the focus issues, i have a D7000 and have numerous focus issues - i have mitigated these with the use of the fine focus adjustment and am pretty happy with it now. I even found some lens performed better on the D7000 then on my previous body which did not have the adjustment.

I did do a write up here about it

D7000 back focus
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm

So we are heading down to Dawes Point tomorrow evening if anyone cares to join us for some snapping and a feed.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • tifkat

by tifkat » Wed May 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Looking forward to this. I'll get my extra battery charged tonight. Clear off the SD cards too.

Spotted a photog with a budget dslr (not sure on brand) walking around with a cammo giggle hat taking photos of some display a group was setting up in Wynyard park.. skeletons doing all manner of things. Got so close to walking up and chatting with him, but had to get to class. I'm also a bit shy on just initiating conversations with people I don't know. The number of people I see each day on my commute to work that I'd love to offer some sort of portrait session to, just to get experience, but never actually talk to... it's shameful. :-D
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 am

So it was a good night for photos, a couple of long exposures of the opera house, a couple of shots of the bridge and some half decent company with some half decent food.

Good to catch up with a fellow board member and put a face to the name.

Although Tifkat will be able to put a face to his to all if he shares the shot of him I took while getting dirty Nikon contamination on my hands.

I had to wash for hours to get the dirty feeling to go away :D
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 am

Busiboy wrote:I had to wash for hours to get the dirty feeling to go away :D

I'd have thought a fortnight in quarrantine at the very least for handling a N***N, Scott. Repeated exposure could lead to amputation.

PS: You were sure not to come into contact with the wee lad, weren't you?

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 11, 2012 10:44 am

:D

The germs were kept at bay, all is good, he won't be contaminated :D
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott