Type of lens
  • Chalk

Type of lens

by Chalk » Fri May 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi all I'm new to this whole thing I have a D3100 and I'm wanting to get some good cityscape shots as well as alleys in Melbourne CBD what lens or lenses should I be saving my pennies for I currently only have the 18-55 kit lens
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm

There are plenty of things you can shoot with your current lens.

I'd suggest getting a feel for what you like to shoot or what you want to shoot before trying to acquire the magic bullet to make it happen.

If you really want to develop (pun, get it) your self, I'd suggest starting with some cheap primes and leave the zoom at home, alternatively use the zoom you have, start framing your shots and see what focal length that appeals to your look, style or taste.

Refrain from going Ultra wide, most go there and find it isn't what they are looking for.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Chalk

by Chalk » Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've been getting some shots with my current lens so I can get to know what I'm after I know that I want cityscape/landscape to be what I want to mainly focus on...
    So when you say wide does that mean around 20-24mm..
    And also are there quite a few prime dx lenses to choose from
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Fri May 11, 2012 3:20 pm

not sure where you would hire lens in Melbourne, but a good way to sort out which lens suite your style of photography......

the 18mm end of the lens you have should give good results in the alleys if you can get far enough back...... increase your ISO and stop down to around F8 for a greater DOF...... or shoot wide open and maybe a bit tighter for a different look....... go and have a coffee in the Alleys and try different things......
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri May 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Chalk wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've been getting some shots with my current lens so I can get to know what I'm after I know that I want cityscape/landscape to be what I want to mainly focus on...
    So when you say wide does that mean around 20-24mm..
    And also are there quite a few prime dx lenses to choose from

I'm not a Nikon shooter so specific lenses I can't really help out with that.

A 'normal' is usually a great place to start, then a wide then maybe a tele.

20 or 20 for wide, 35mm (I think) is normal for a dx and 50mm would be your tele on a dx.

The actually lens doesn't make a rats arse of difference in comparison to the framing, composition and light, all things you can shoot with your zoom.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Chalk

by Chalk » Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks for the advice... Now time to go and have a play around
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri May 11, 2012 8:28 pm

When are you going and where? I am new to Melbourne but I have a nice and wide lens that you can try on and see if you like it.. its a 12-24 Nikkor. I hardly use it as I am not really into wide angles. Still I have founds some nice places in Mel that would suite the focal lengths and was hoping to try that sometime.

Oh one more thing about shooting in alleys.. A tripod will help a lot as you will be stopping down to F8-F16 and the alleys are already quite dark. Also to do justice to the colours and textures you really would want to be at the lowest ISO so a tripod will be a good tool for the Alley task. :-)
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • Chalk

by Chalk » Fri May 11, 2012 8:48 pm

I most Likly won't get a chance to go and till next weekend... And I was just going to walk around the CBD to find some places to get some good shots I have A few alleys/laneways in mind