Upgrade
  • Chalk

Upgrade

by Chalk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi I'm looking to upgrade from my D3100 to either a d7000 or D800 can anyone give me reasons why
    I should go for one and not the other and I know one is a full frame and the other is a crop sensor
    And I also have a 17-55 2.8
    Please help
    Thanks David
    C&C welcome...
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Upgrade

by Busiboy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:41 am

It depends on your ability, aspirations and budget.

I can't comment on the Nikon gear too much, but the 800 is the ducks guts.

It'll be useless and wasted on kit or cheapskate lenses.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Chalk

by Chalk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 pm

thanks budget is not a problem.
    i have some friends weddings that are coming up and they want me to be the photographer
    i dont use my kit lens at all i have been using the 17-55mm 2.8... i know that it is a dx lens but is ment tobe good on a full frame from 26-55 but will be looking at the 24-70 and then prime lenses
    im always shooting in low light so im wanting high iso performance too

but i think I'm heading the full frame direction
    thanks David...
    C&C welcome...
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:32 pm

let me think

amateur photographer + professional camera gear + NFI + friends wedding = pissed off friend and a bucket load of camera gear you will never use

What wrong with the 3100 dont it take good photos ??

Sorry but if you need to ask what camera to purchase you not ready to go further than you are at present
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:41 am

The camera won't make the shots.

I agree with loz unfortunately, if your not sure what body or why you might want to rethink the wedding.

Try 2nd shooting a wedding before hand.

To even think about a wedding you'll need the 24-70 70-200, a ton of cards, batteries, processing skill, show raw, a second body and the big flash (or 3)

Your friends might be wanting to save money but if you muff it there'll be nothing from a day they can't redo.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    SundstromImages

by SundstromImages » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:22 pm

What's your experience level? Both cameras are asignificant jump over the 3100. You will likely need to work harder to get the most out of either the D7000/800 and it will take some time to get used to how each one works.

You will also need higher quailty lenses to make the most out of the sensors in each camera. (the 17-55 is a great match for the D7000).

If you are intending to use it for weddings, while the D7000 is a good camera, I personally don't find the auto focus reliable enough on longer lenses or when the lighting gets low (at least with my copy).

As for the D800, you will need a lot more storage to shoot a wedding and a powerful enough computer to process the shots once you are done editing them.

Personally, I would be looking at either a used D700 or potentially D300s, and use the saved money for better lenses and a flash. Then rent what you don't have for the wedding itself.

Slighty OT, but for the wedding itself, you will need spare batteries, at least one back up camera and backup lenses. If something breaks at the wedding you don't want to be left there shooting with your camera phone.

Also If lighting is poor a flash is a must (even if you just use the AF assist beam).

Shooting weddings are a HUGE amount of work. So tread carefully. It can be vary rewarding if you are up to the task.
  • Chalk

by Chalk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 pm

thanks for the replies

a little more information about the wedding that i have been to asked to do... they are not fused about a photographer so they asked me if i would do it
    as i know a little about photography and they understand that there not going to get full professional results but they like the images in my collection
    and like what i do so they will be also giving me practice with the topic

as for the D3100 it takes great shots but i feel that i have outgrown the camera and in some situations it dosnt produce great images i.e low light situations
    because of poor high ISO performance

i understand that i will need to upgrade lenses and im going to do so I'm looking towards the D800

and abit more information about how i go about photography... yes i have only been doing it for a year, i do shoot in manual mode, i shoot raw, i use lightroom 4
    for pp... and also i can tell a big difference from my earlier photos to my newer ones
    C&C welcome...
    SundstromImages

by SundstromImages » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:08 am

Chalk wrote:a little more information about the wedding that i have been to asked to do... they are not fused about a photographer so they asked me if i would do it
    as i know a little about photography and they understand that there not going to get full professional results but they like the images in my collection
    and like what i do so they will be also giving me practice with the topic
    If they are fully informed and willing to take the risk then that's good. However, how are you or they going to feel if you can't deliver. Do your research and practice ...

There are plenty of resources that have good tips on what is required for wedding photography. But none of this trumps experience. Shooting a full wedding is extremely demanding. Even assisting another photographer will help (if you can find one that will let you).

Chalk wrote:as for the D3100 it takes great shots but i feel that i have outgrown the camera and in some situations it dosnt produce great images i.e low light situations because of poor high ISO performance
    What about the camera makes you think you have outgrown it? Are there specific features that you want in your next camera?

I had a D3100 briefly, the jump in high ISO IQ may not be as much as you think. I got some great high ISO shots out of that camera.

Chalk wrote:i understand that i will need to upgrade lenses and im going to do so I'm looking towards the D800
    and your technique, the D800 will demand much more from you. I remember the jump I made from my D70 to my D300, it will take you a while to get used to the new camera. You will need to be more mindful of your shutter speeds due to the weight and resolution increase of the camera.

Chalk wrote:and abit more information about how i go about photography... yes i have only been doing it for a year, i do shoot in manual mode, i shoot raw, i use lightroom 4
    for pp... and also i can tell a big difference from my earlier photos to my newer ones
    A good start ... hopefully you'll continue see improvement for as long as you keep shooting. I've been shooting for years and I can see a difference in the quality of my work over the last 6 months. If you really are serious about giving this a go, seek out new challenges. Take photos at social occasions. Work on you people skills. Go out and shoot photos everyday.

Push yourself ....

Oh and one last thing, getting some sort of contract in place is a really good idea.
  • Chalk

by Chalk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks for response Dave
    Very helpfull...
    I do have a family friend that is going to let me tag along next time theydo weddings
    And also she is giving me full access to her studio when ever I want

I every chance I get I'm out pushing myself getting more practice under my belt and
    Am pushing myself
    C&C welcome...