Upgrade from Nikon D5100 to D7000 and some advice on lenses.
  • JWhitehead333

Upgrade from Nikon D5100 to D7000 and some advice on lenses.

by JWhitehead333 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Hey everyone. I hope you all had a good Christmas and New Years. Im about to sell my Nikon D5100 and upgrade to a Nikon D7000 with the 18-105mm kit lens. I would also like to buy some others lenses that would be useful, I was thinking of the Nikon 70-300mm and the Nikon 50mm F1.4. I think they would cover most possible photographic situations. I would also like a good macro but Im not sure which to go for.

What would you guys get if you were starting off?

Thanks
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

Re: Upgrade from Nikon D5100 to D7000 and some advice on len

by Dug » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:57 pm

go the nikkor 80 200 f2.8

Just a wonderful lens !!!!

And possibly a 60mm f2.8 macro rather than the 50mm standard

depending on your needs and budget
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Seasons Greetings to you also JW333,

I would work with the kit lens and either the 50mm or the 60mm Micro-Nikkor. Master them, get to know their every nuance, and when you find you need to do something more than they can do, purchase a task specific tool to meet that requirement.

Truth be told, I'd settle for just the 50mm. I put my money where my mouth is in recently purchasing a Fuji X-E1 with the 35mm lens which equates to a 50mm and I haven't found the need for anything more.

You might also like to consider why you want to replace a DSLR with another DSLR. Have a good look at the mirrorless options and move towards tomorrow rather than staying mired in the past.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Keep the 5100 theres not enough difference between cameras at the bottom end .

Why not consider a new QUALITY lens that will last a life time or piss the dslr off and get a Fuji :wink:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • JWhitehead333

by JWhitehead333 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Dug wrote:go the nikkor 80 200 f2.8

Just a wonderful lens !!!!

And possibly a 60mm f2.8 macro rather than the 50mm standard

depending on your needs and budget

Thanks for your response Dug. They both look like nice lenses, I think I will try and get both of them (I will get the 60mm 2.8 rather then the 50mm 1.4). Budget is not so much of a problem for me because I'm in no rush to get them. So I can just save until I have the necessary funds.

W G wrote:\I would work with the kit lens and either the 50mm or the 60mm Micro-Nikkor. Master them, get to know their every nuance, and when you find you need to do something more than they can do, purchase a task specific tool to meet that requirement.

Truth be told, I'd settle for just the 50mm. I put my money where my mouth is in recently purchasing a Fuji X-E1 with the 35mm lens which equates to a 50mm and I haven't found the need for anything more.

You might also like to consider why you want to replace a DSLR with another DSLR. Have a good look at the mirrorless options and move towards tomorrow rather than staying mired in the past.

Thanks W G. That is good advice to master just the two lenses. I think I will get the 60mm 2.8 macro, because I really do like macro photography, and would love to have a good macro lens. I think for this upgrade, I would like to stick with DSLR because I feel like I haven't really experienced them yet. I will look into mirrorless cameras when I next upgrade.

LOZ wrote:Keep the 5100 theres not enough difference between cameras at the bottom end .

Why not consider a new QUALITY lens that will last a life time or piss the dslr off and get a Fuji

Thanks LOZ, I am upgrading because the 5100 doesn't have some specific video controls that I need.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 pm

the Nikkor f1.8 50mm is a pretty great bang for your buck lens too

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018daf.htm

The difference between an f1.8 and f1.4 is 2/3 of a stop and twice the price.

How often do you shoot extreme low light ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • JWhitehead333

by JWhitehead333 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Dug wrote:How often do you shoot extreme low light ?

Not too often, the 1.8 would probably do for me. But I think I will go with the 2.8 60mm macro, thanks for posting the review, Ill have a good read of it.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm

I would hold off the upgrade .. there is probably a D5200 that will be announced tonight. with stock expected to be available immediately.
    It will probably meet your "video specific" requirements. the D7000 replacement is expected to follow soon after if not announced tonight.

Re F1.4 lenses. There is a little known issue with F1.4 lenses .. the 2/3 stop extra is more like 1/10 stop and the F1.2 lenses even less.
    This is bec the light is not able to register on the sensor. The micro lens in front of the sensor cannot focus the light coming from the
    extreme edges of the lense onto the sensor.. ie it misses the sensor. To compensate the camera manufacturers artificially boosts
    ISO when it detects 1.4 lenses opened at max.

As far as I know only one sensor manufacturer that produces sensors with offset micro lenses to combat this issue.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.