Advice on a lens...
  • fishman3226

Advice on a lens...

by fishman3226 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi all,

I recently bought myself a Nikon d3100 in Hong Kong with the standard lens.

I take a lot of scenery shots in particular landscapes.

I found the standard lens doesnt have the zoom I want - I have found that I am not getting the images I love to take with the standard lens (it came with a 18-55mm lens.)

I have looked into lens and am trying to decide if I will get a lens 55-200mm or something more all round notably a Sigma 18-200MM F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM (as I have shot some portraiture in the past.)

Love to hear some thoughts on a lens choice.

Thanks
    ion_mihaila

Re: Advice on a lens...

by ion_mihaila » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi,
    there are here people that can give you a better advise that I can but my experience was kind of similar.

I started with the twin kit lens, I wanted one big zoom to rule them all and I got the Nikon 18-200. Is not a bad lens in itself for what it covers but is big, heavy, slow (5.6 at tele) and a compromise optically wise. The Sigma is probably even worse than Nikon for that type of lens. In the end you will get just a bit better pictures than a compact power zoom but with double or more in weight. The advise that I got from the beginning but didn't listen, unfortunately, was to stick to primes, that's where the DSLR shines. For portraits I will get the Nikon 85mm 1.8G and maybe the 35mm 1.8G which is cheap and just great. For travel I found that DSLR & 18-200+ is way to heavy and the IQ is not that great, especially if is going to hang on your neck the whole day.

Hope that helps.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:15 pm

fishman3226 wrote:Hi all,

I recently bought myself a Nikon d3100 in Hong Kong with the standard lens.

I take a lot of scenery shots in particular landscapes.

I found the standard lens doesnt have the zoom I want - I have found that I am not getting the images I love to take with the standard lens (it came with a 18-55mm lens.)

I have looked into lens and am trying to decide if I will get a lens 55-200mm or something more all round notably a Sigma 18-200MM F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM (as I have shot some portraiture in the past.)

Love to hear some thoughts on a lens choice.

Thanks

I take a lot of scenery shots in particular landscapes. so why would you use a 18-200 zooooom?
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • fishman3226

by fishman3226 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 pm

ion_mihaila wrote:The advise that I got from the beginning but didn't listen, unfortunately, was to stick to primes, that's where the DSLR shines.

Thanks Ion, very helpful. Didnt think of the weight factor. Can you explain though 'primes?'

My other lens I am thinking of is a Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G IF ED

I am thinking the 18-200 zoom mainly as my subject could be 3-5 metres for nature shots (like a bird in a tree) though next minute could be an abstract shot of a building...

Hong Kong 250113 045 (Small).JPG

and then a landscape.

I guess I am looking for an all round lens.
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi,
    primes have fixed focal length. Read more on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_lens

The Nikon 55-200 is better than the Sigma 18-200 and a good lens to get you started. The thing is you don't really need lenses to cover every single focal lens. Primes will leave you with gaps but much better image quality. Have a look on sites like http://www.photozone.de/ for lens reviews.

I too used to shoot anything that moved around me and then I realized I have the phone for that and tried to use the DSLR for more focused subjects.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
  • fishman3226

by fishman3226 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks very much!

:grrpsycho: