Help for a beginner, please?
  • ellie

Help for a beginner, please?

by ellie » Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello! My name is Ellie.

I have recently dived into the world of photography, and would like some assistance with regards to my camera.

I currently have my parents Nikon D40X with a basic 18-55mm lens it came with. The camera is around 6 years old now.

I would like to purchase new lenses, but I am unsure of whether or not I am able to buy newer (current) lenses and have them work on the camera. I am also unsure of whether investing in new lenses will bring an improvement in quality or not because of the age of the camera. Ideally I would like to buy at least, a macro lens so I can take better photographs of my aquariums too.

If this isn't possible, could anybody recommend a good new camera. I'm not looking to spend too much, particularly as this is more for a hobby than anything serious, but I'm not too afraid of spending money for a quality camera and lenses.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I'd really like to have something sorted before my overseas trip in July :)

Thanks very much!

Re: Help for a beginner, please?

by LOZ » Sat May 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Welcome Ellie

The D40X is a excellent camera take a deep breath sit back train and learn on the D40X and in a year you will know
    what your missing on the D40x then make your own decision . My last 2 cameras were a D40X and A D800something
    and the D40 was still my favorite with a Nikon AF-S 18-70mm F3.5-4.5 G DX lens attached
    You can pick up a Nikon AF-S 18-70mm F3.5-4.5 G DX lens on ebay for $250 give one a go they are best bang for bucks
    lens and if you dont like it sell it again on ebay for $300 :wink:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    Big Red

by Big Red » Sat May 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Ellie,

Tamron make a pretty nice 90 mm Macro at a reasonable price ... you just have to make sure it will fit your current camera as well as your future camera.

As i am a Pentax fan i can't tell you which ones fit.

by DJT » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Nothing wrong with the camera you have. Only thing to keep in mind is that when you buy a lens for that camera is that the lens will have to have an auto focus motor built in if you want auto focus & I'm guessing you do.
    So if you are looking at a Nikon lens it will have a "G" somewhere in the description.
    If you are looking at Sigma, it will usually have "HSM" in the description
    If you are looking at Tamron it will usually have "IF".
    The Tamron 90mm is a great lens. To give you an idea it costs roughly $500 new, but if you keep an eye on ebay you might find one come up 2nd hand for a lot less.
    You will see some zoom lenses with macro in their name, but they are not really macro they just focus a little closer than a normal lens would (supposedly)
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 am

Hi Ellie

A mash up of reviews and a bit of my (newbie thoughts) limited knowledge on digital slr-manship

The D40x was announced March 5, 2007 and discontinued in January 2008. It is replaced in 2008 by the almost identical D60.

The Nikon D40x is a 10.2 Megapixel entry-level digital SLR aimed at general consumers, family users and photographic students. Announced in March 2007, it comes only four months after the launch of the 6 Megapixel D40, and indeed the new D40x is essentially identical other than a higher resolution sensor - and a higher price to reflect it.

Nikon says the D40x is therefore designed as a step-up for anyone who loved the D40 but was put off by its lower resolution, although clearly it’s also now a direct rival for Canon’s massively successful EOS 400D / XTi.

and a Ken Rockwell thought of your lens!

This lens was introduced as a kit lens along with the Nikon D40 on November 16th, 2006. It works perfectly on every Nikon digital SLR (D40, D50, D70, D80, D100, D200, D1x, D2X, etc.) It won't work on film cameras: you'll get black corners.

It replaces the previous 18-55mm AFS lens, which has been a favorite recommendation of mine for its low price and great performance.

It weighs nothing, it's super sharp, has little distortion, zooms much more precisely than more expensive lenses and has better macro performance than more expensive lenses. See my Sharpness Comparison as part of my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 review and you'll see it's among the sharpest lenses I own.

The fact that it sells for only about $100 makes it even better!

This is a great lens with better performance than many other costing a lot more. I prefer it to the $300 18-70mm, for instance.

now for my simplistic views

You have a great starter lens

if you want to do some great macro get a reversing ring off ebay for this lens for under $20 including postage and start playing the macro game

(this reverses the lens and lets you get real close (just drop the fish food down the glass as you need to be close to get a good clear shot))

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Lens

when you have played for a while get a 100mm or 80mm or something similar with good light properties ( f-2.8 or the likes) on ebay (to get serious) but not before you have played for a while !!

you have a good camera so be patient for a good 6 -12 months ( or if you still are keen go better sooner but 10.2 mega pixel is great and many an award winning photo was taken with smaller pixel size )

I know nothing about nikon and am still in my first 6 months of digital SLR use

so in my 2 cents worth

nikon - canon = holden - ford

"lenses are lenses" as "tyres are tyres"

a crappy tyre on a good car will be crappy

a good tyre on a crappy car will see you through good and bad times

I have a 100mm macro lens ( $200 ) and a $20 lens reversing ring from ebay for one of my $20 lenses

I wouldnt want to play spot the difference ? ( the ones that have been at it a while will but not you and me ,,,,Me thinks ;)

pm me for macro sites and tips but not experienced advice

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut