Neutral Density Filters
  • The Hair Bear

Neutral Density Filters

by The Hair Bear » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Hi all. Not really a Nikon question but I am a nikon person...Has anyone had experience with ND filters. I know it is a hard question to answer but would a 9 stop ND filter be too much for a 2.8 lens on a reasonably normal sunny day. Has anyone got a link that may be able to help me understand them a little more.

cheers
    darren
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Neutral Density Filters

by Busiboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:05 am

Welcome,

Depends what you are trying to achieve and what you want to shoot.

Scott
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 am

Busiboy wrote:Depends what you are trying to achieve and what you want to shoot.

+1.

I will be good if you want to do long exposures, it all depends on your aspirations though...
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:45 am

......ND 9 will work fine for water movement, cloud movement, and most other things that move....... sometimes it can be a tad strong so a 4 or 5 stop ND filter will come in handy....... At times 9 is not enough, so add a 3 or 5 stop, or a polariser to the 9 stop....... You can achieve some wonder effects using ND filters...... myself I have a 9, 5,3, ND filters that I do not use enough, have look on U Tube for ND filters, or do a general search to see what others are doing with ND filters....... One of the most used is the big stopper by Lee....10 stop and expensive

Some filters are "screw in" and some are square, which a holder is needed....... something else to research........

......Start with the 9 stop, you will also need a sturdy tripod because with the filter on the lens it will slow down your exposure, in some cases, very long time exposures

....... get the 9 stop, have some fun and learning experience, then expand from there.......
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
  • The Hair Bear

by The Hair Bear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Big Pix wrote:......ND 9 will work fine for water movement, cloud movement, and most other things that move....... sometimes it can be a tad strong so a 4 or 5 stop ND filter will come in handy....... At times 9 is not enough, so add a 3 or 5 stop, or a polariser to the 9 stop....... You can achieve some wonder effects using ND filters...... myself I have a 9, 5,3, ND filters that I do not use enough, have look on U Tube for ND filters, or do a general search to see what others are doing with ND filters....... One of the most used is the big stopper by Lee....10 stop and expensive

Some filters are "screw in" and some are square, which a holder is needed....... something else to research........

......Start with the 9 stop, you will also need a sturdy tripod because with the filter on the lens it will slow down your exposure, in some cases, very long time exposures

....... get the 9 stop, have some fun and learning experience, then expand from there.......

Thanks you heaps for a great and detailed response Big Pix. It is fantastic. thank you to the others as well. I did what you said and found some great stuff on you tube. That has opened up a whole new experience for me. My son is getting married in March next year and I am expecting (just in case) it is very sunny, I am wanting to take outside photos with shallow DOF so I was told the ND filters are great. I have a Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens which I want to use. Assuming it is a bright sunny day, for a wedding (white dress) do you think a 9 would be too strong? Also, can you screw them onto each other? If the answer is yes, would your 5 plus your 3 give you the equivalent of an 8 or am I being too simplistic

cheers
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 pm

The Hair Bear wrote:
    Big Pix wrote:......ND 9 will work fine for water movement, cloud movement, and most other things that move....... sometimes it can be a tad strong so a 4 or 5 stop ND filter will come in handy....... At times 9 is not enough, so add a 3 or 5 stop, or a polariser to the 9 stop....... You can achieve some wonder effects using ND filters...... myself I have a 9, 5,3, ND filters that I do not use enough, have look on U Tube for ND filters, or do a general search to see what others are doing with ND filters....... One of the most used is the big stopper by Lee....10 stop and expensive

Thanks you heaps for a great and detailed response Big Pix. It is fantastic. thank you to the others as well. I did what you said and found some great stuff on you tube. That has opened up a whole new experience for me. My son is getting married in March next year and I am expecting (just in case) it is very sunny, I am wanting to take outside photos with shallow DOF so I was told the ND filters are great. I have a Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens which I want to use. Assuming it is a bright sunny day, for a wedding (white dress) do you think a 9 would be too strong? Also, can you screw them onto each other? If the answer is yes, would your 5 plus your 3 give you the equivalent of an 8 or am I being too simplistic

cheers

9-stop will be much too strong for that use. A 2 or 3-stop filter would be plenty IMO. What's the minimum ISO setting of your camera anyway? ISO 50, 100, or 200? Because with a f/2.8 max apeture lens, I can't imagine too many situations where you're going hit the minimum shutter speed and blow out the shot. Maybe if your camera bottoms out at ISO 200, and minimum shutter speed is limited to 1/4000th you'd want to consider a 2 or 3-stop. FWIW, for each 'stop', you have to double the length of the exposure - So adding a 9-stop filter without changing apeture or ISO would go like this: Assuming a starting exposure time of 1/1000 the rough exposure steps per 'stop' reduction of light would be 1/500 > 1/250 > 1/125 > 1/60 > 1/30 > 1/16 > 1/8 > 1/4 > 1/2sec. So even if you were at 1/4000th and worried about blowing a shot out, a 3-stop will get you back to 1/500th.
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:20 pm

....... if shooting a wedding just take pixs do not worry about DOF as this is best controlled after the shoot....... the less you have to worry about the less images you dump.......

so many have tried to do tricky pixs at weddings and it has been a disaster ....... the crop tool is your best friend after the shoot.......
    Cheers ....bp....

Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:45 pm

I wouldn't bother with an nd for your sons wedding.

First I'd enjoy the day, not try to be the father of the groom and the photographer
    Secondly, for people and image quality I think you'd stop down from wide open anyway
    Thirdly going inside to outside it would be a pain in the arse

Lastly, under no circumstances buy a variable nd filter. Send me your cash and save the environment from throwing it out, a better result all round. :)

The variable nds shouldn't be on the market, the images from them under any circumstances are just pure rubbish.

If you decide to get one anyway, remember a poor man pays twice, get a quality one first time around. The cheap Chinese stuff is just that, cheap.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Busiboy wrote:I wouldn't bother with an nd for your sons wedding.

First I'd enjoy the day, not try to be the father of the groom and the photographer
    Secondly, for people and image quality I think you'd stop down from wide open anyway

Lastly, under no circumstances buy a variable nd filter. Send me your cash and save the environment from throwing it out, a better result all round. :)

The variable nds shouldn't be on the market, the images from them under any circumstances are just pure rubbish.

If you decide to get one anyway, remember a poor man pays twice, get a quality one first time around. The cheap Chinese stuff is just that, cheap.

.......... oh so true
    Cheers ....bp....

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Busiboy wrote:I wouldn't bother with an nd for your sons wedding.

This man talks sense. :wink:
  • The Hair Bear

by The Hair Bear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Great China Man once say, listen to wise man. The wedding is months away, Im only fairly new to photography and I am already stressing about the photography at the wedding (He is getting a pro photographer as well). I have a shite load of equipment purchased for retail therapy reasons and I am bursting at the seems to justify it with that one shot that no one else got. Im 51 years old and really quite excited about learning about photography...Im like a kid in a chuppa chupp shop. Im doing a certificate 3 in photography ATM which I am mainly doing to keep my daughter motivated (she is doing it too) and I learn a few new things as we go. Ive done 3/4 of a certificate 4 which taught me a fair bit but I have not had enough time in the field. Learned a little about photoshop but have not used it hardly and it is so bloody hard. Unless we cover it well in the cert 3..I'm afraid post processing may not happen. The program bloody annoys me how there is 10 ways to do the one thing!!! It confuses and old bugger like me.

This is a really great forum. Thanks guys

Darren
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:18 am

Seriously, don't take your camera, let the pro do it, enjoy the day with your son and new daughter, the day will go too quick.

Maybe use your camera sparingly behind the scenes and in the lead up before the pro turns up, when he is there let him do the job he is paid for.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott