D5000 needs wide angle lens
  • mj_girl

D5000 needs wide angle lens

by mj_girl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi All,

I havnt posted in a long time, apologies.

I have 7 months off work starting in Jan and plan to land somewhere in Europe and wing it. (have done so before, dont worry!)

Wide shots ie horizons, lakes, odd angles, are my favourite, as well as focusing on an object but being able to see alot of background.

So my question is, where do I start with a wide angle lens? budget.. dont really have an idea of what to set it as even and i like to keep things on the cheaper side so I'd like to see the responses and go from there...

wide angle lens for horizon shots etc kgo :)

MJ

*edit* a work colleague suggests looking at photos on flickr that i like and seeing what lenses people use...

hopefully can get a few personal responses here :) thanks
    m j g i r l ---
    crumpler keystone holding:...D5000, UV Polar and ND filters, standard twin lens kit and not much else... dont know what to buy!
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: D5000 needs wide angle lens

by Simsy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Sigma have a good cheap 10-20mm Available in 2 versions f3.5 or f4-f5.6 the f3.5 can be had for around $700 on eBay and the f4-5.6 goes for around $500
  • Wasasaw

by Wasasaw » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 am

Hi MJ

I would echo your workmate's thoughts.

Have a look on Flickr or the like and search for the various lens types at the wide(ish) end 10 - 20, 24-70, 10-24, 16,85 etc etc etc. and find what YOU think is going to suit your needs.

Then you can look at Brand / New / Used - over the counter / Ebay - your budget will determine this to a point.

Your decision then may come to a Nikon/Canon/Whatever USED versus Sigma/Tamron/Whatever NEW.

I have personally purchased New & Used from Ebay and not had a problem however some do not feel comfortable going down this path.

Good luck....

Cgeers
    Wasa
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Oh yes I'm very much mistaken
    ozjeeper
    Cadet
    Cadet

by ozjeeper » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!