D7100 settings ??
    jberth1

D7100 settings ??

by jberth1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Just bought a D7100 - upgraded from a D80. :D

Does anyone have any recommended settings I could / should use ?

Sharpness / Picture control / saturation / Adaptive Dynamic-Range Control etc etc ??

I hear that NEF isn't needed anymore - it saved me lots of times with the D80 so I stand to be convinced.

Thanks for any tips.

Justin
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: D7100 settings ??

by Doug » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:19 pm

I had the same confusion when I bought a new model Canon.
    I don't use jpeg much, but when I did what is going to look best to me?

In the end I just staged a real world scenario and took a sequence of shots using one setting at a time and evaluated my personal preferences from there.
    I prefer to keep things like sharpening and noise reduction under done or off and do that in the editor. You can't recover over done with these things in jpeg.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 pm

jberth1 wrote:Just bought a D7100 - upgraded from a D80. :D

Does anyone have any recommended settings I could / should use ?

Sharpness / Picture control / saturation / Adaptive Dynamic-Range Control etc etc ??

I hear that NEF isn't needed anymore - it saved me lots of times with the D80 so I stand to be convinced.

Thanks for any tips.

Justin

Congrats!

The DR and colour depth in the Jpg from the 7100 will definitely rival the Raw from the D80 but the NEF will get you that much more again so .. it really depends on you :-) are you a PP guy or a get it right in camera guy :-)

I prefer doing my own PP rather than letting the camera do it for me. so I turn off all the DR and sharpness and saturation noise and anything else...

PS I have the D7000 not the D7100 :-)
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 am

Shoot RAW

Skip all the in camera stuff and tweak it as required with your raw editor.

Welcome by the way :D
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    jberth1

by jberth1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 am

heartyfisher wrote:
    Congrats!

The DR and colour depth in the Jpg from the 7100 will definitely rival the Raw from the D80 but the NEF will get you that much more again so .. it really depends on you :-) are you a PP guy or a get it right in camera guy :-)

I prefer doing my own PP rather than letting the camera do it for me. so I turn off all the DR and sharpness and saturation noise and anything else...

PS I have the D7000 not the D7100 :-)

The jump in ability from the D80 to the D7100 has me excited ! I hear that DR has increased by a few stops, so looking forward to seeing that.

I've always shot in JPG and NEF - used the JPG if it was ok, but if PP was required (probably 75% of the time anyway) I've then gone to the NEF, so I'm not adverse to PP, but if I can find settings that will give me a great deal of success in JPG I'm happy to go that way. Never did use in camera D-lighting etc etc.

I realise that there won't be blanket settings that will work for all JPG's but I'm hoping to find settings that will increase the hit rate with JPG's and decrease the PP required with NEF.

Cheers

Justin

P.S - thanks for the Welcome, but I've been here since this site was D70users.com !
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 am

jberth1 wrote:P.S - thanks for the Welcome, but I've been here since this site was D70users.com !

THIS forum was NEVER D70 Users or DSLR Users. It was, in fact, a break away group protesting against those forums.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am

jberth1 wrote:P.S - thanks for the Welcome, but I've been here since this site was D70users.com !

I noticed that a bit later, welcome back Justin, lets see if you can increase your post rate a touch ;) maybe include some photos ;)
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    jberth1

by jberth1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:30 am

W G wrote:

THIS forum was NEVER D70 Users or DSLR Users. It was, in fact, a break away group protesting against those forums.

Ah yes - the splinter group. The politics and too'ing and fro'ing of 7 years ago has been refreshed in my mind a little bit now !

Cheers

Justin
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 am

D80->D7100
    is a good upgrade and you will notice a significant improvement in the camera's ability

as with your d80 consider dialling in -0.5EV to maintain highlights - however it does depend on what you shoot.
    Prepare yourself for much larger nefs too..

jberth1 wrote:
    W G wrote:

Ah yes - the splinter group. The politics and too'ing and fro'ing of 7 years ago has been refreshed in my mind a little bit now !

Cheers

Justin

lol.. and some people just can't get over it... fyi there are some good peeps over at DSLRUsers.com and most visit both and are not concerned with the bullshit
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    jberth1

by jberth1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:55 am

gerry wrote:D80->D7100
    is a good upgrade and you will notice a significant improvement in the camera's ability

as with your d80 consider dialling in -0.5EV to maintain highlights - however it does depend on what you shoot.

lol.. and some people just can't get over it... fyi there are some good peeps over at DSLRUsers.com and most visit both and are not concerned with the bullshit

Yeah - I still visit both since they each have their own merits - all that stuff was a long time ago...

I did find with the D80 the metering could vary either way depending on whether the scene had predominately light or dark focal points. Sometimes matrix worked - sometimes not.

I was more thinking back to the days with my D70 of loading custom curves etc etc. Some bloke on the web with the initials KR (I realise he's not well respected by some..) is suggesting +1 Saturation and 7 Sharpening.

Apologies for the daft questions - but I'm trying to get ahead of myself here until 'Santa' officially delivers my D7100. The wait is killing me !

Justin
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:04 am

jberth1 wrote:
    gerry wrote:D80->D7100

Yeah - I still visit both since they each have their own merits - all that stuff was a long time ago...

I did find with the D80 the metering could vary either way depending on whether the scene had predominately light or dark focal points. Sometimes matrix worked - sometimes not.

I was more thinking back to the days with my D70 of loading custom curves etc etc. Some bloke on the web with the initials KR (I realise he's not well respected by some..) is suggesting +1 Saturation and 7 Sharpening.

Apologies for the daft questions - but I'm trying to get ahead of myself here until 'Santa' officially delivers my D7100. The wait is killing me !

Justin

LOL!!

LOL!!

First at the kid at heart , second at the crazy +100 KR Saturation .. still he is worth reading even if you dont follow his settings.. he got me into those lovely menus.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:56 pm

I wrote a speil on the other forum about my upgrade from d80 to the d7000 and my experiences of it - might help you out given same basica upgrade path.

Regarding settings here my basic stuff - note i do tend to process most images..

Picture control: SD (you can edit this to adjust sharpening etc, but i do not bother)
    Dynamic Range , Active d-lighting: OFF i tunr this off since it does creat halos in some scene, for example aircraft against a blue sky is guarantee halo generator :)
    ISO NR: OFF
    Long Exp NR: OFF
    NEF Settings: 14 bit compressed (not reason for uncompressed imo unless you wanna burn disc space)
    colour space: Adobergb

I have the function button to cycle thru my manual lens presets - very cool that you can use and meter with old lens...

anyway..
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    jberth1

by jberth1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:45 am

gerry wrote:I wrote a speil on the other forum about my upgrade from d80 to the d7000 and my experiences of it - might help you out given same basica upgrade path.

Regarding settings here my basic stuff - note i do tend to process most images..

Picture control: SD (you can edit this to adjust sharpening etc, but i do not bother)
    Dynamic Range , Active d-lighting: OFF i tunr this off since it does creat halos in some scene, for example aircraft against a blue sky is guarantee halo generator :)
    ISO NR: OFF
    Long Exp NR: OFF
    NEF Settings: 14 bit compressed (not reason for uncompressed imo unless you wanna burn disc space)
    colour space: Adobergb

I have the function button to cycle thru my manual lens presets - very cool that you can use and meter with old lens...

anyway..

Yes - I'm still reading through your substantial review over there.

Is the 14 bit compressed output lossy or lossless ?

Cheers

Justin