Vignette V's Sharpness ?
    jberth1

Vignette V's Sharpness ?

by jberth1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 am

Sorry for the quick and nasty question, but I have a choice of 2 lenses which cover the same function, but perform differently.

One lense vignettes, and the other one is sharper. I don't have any other choices.

Would you go for the sharper lense, and correct vignetting in PP ?

or would you go for the lense that doesn't vignette, and correct for sharpness in PP ? or even in camera ?

Thanks for any tips

Justin
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Vignette V's Sharpness ?

by W G » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

Justin,

Surely the vignetting is something that has disappeared once you stop down.

There is always the option of using the vignetting as a part of the statement you make.

On the other hand, with a portrait or a picture of a blossom, ultimate sharpness may be a hindrance.

It would help, in fact, if you mentioned the focal length and subject matter. Such choices are always in context of the subject.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:40 pm

imo, no brainer.
    vignetting in PP is easy, sharpness in PP different kettle of fish and you will never recover sharpness from a soft image in the same way that a good lens produces sharp images..

thus given those two parameters - sharp lens is a winner ;)
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    jberth1

by jberth1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:29 am

gerry wrote:imo, no brainer.
    vignetting in PP is easy, sharpness in PP different kettle of fish and you will never recover sharpness from a soft image in the same way that a good lens produces sharp images..

thus given those two parameters - sharp lens is a winner ;)

The vignetting does go away once I stop down, but in the past pushing the ISO hasn't been the solution as it's introduced noise I didn't want either, so I've had to shoot wide open in available light.

Back in the early days of digital it seemed pretty easy to use some unsharp in PP, but I still got the feeling that I really only had a soft image anyway. Now that the PP software is a bit smarter I might try a profile built around my lense to correct for vignetting and see how we go.

Thanks for the tips

Cheers

Justin
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Sounds like you are comparing two very different bits of glass.

I too would be interested in the length and speed of the lenses being compared.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 am

Why not tell us the lens you are talking about ? chances are there are several other criteria to consider that you may not have thought of :-)

But if its only Sharpnes vs Vignett.. I would go for sharpness .. Vig is easy to correct.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.