Nikon D5300
  • Bigfoot1966
    Cadet
    Cadet

Nikon D5300

by Bigfoot1966 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:07 am

Hi All,

I was looking at purchasing a Nikon D5300 with the twin lens kit.
    I am after some advice.
    How do the lenses measure up.
    18-55 VR +AF 70-300
    Or am I wasting my money.
    Am I better to buy the body and then go for a better lens.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Mattyp

Re: Nikon D5300

by Mattyp » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Personally I'd buy the body and an 18-200 lens. Just for the convenience of having one walkaround "do everything" lens. The loss of zoom is a minor issue, far out weighed by the better quality glass anyway.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Must you have a dslr ???
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 pm

If you are at a stage in your photography where you know exactly what you like to photograph and what alternative lens to the kit lenses you would get for that purpose, then sure go to lenses more tailored to those subjects.
    Kit lenses are pretty descent those days but your 24mp sensor with no anti-aliasing filter will have the resolution to pick the difference between a kit lenses and one with less built to a price optics.
    Bear in mind that difference will be subtle to non existent for web page display and more for the pixel peepers
    Greater benefits will be had if you need larger apertures, longer reach, wider angles, closer focus distances than the kit lenses provide.

If you are not at a stage in your photography where you know exactly what alternative to a kit lens you would want, then you are likely to throw away more money at taking a guess or going by what someone else thinks would be a good lens for you.
    Kit lenses a great value and can give you access to a broad range of subject matter. They are not exactly throw away priced, but if you get a year or two out of them to work out what you would get instead (if anything) then they have served their purpose and can be tucked away as a light worry free travel lens.
  • Bigfoot1966
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Bigfoot1966 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Firstly Thankyou for your replies.

I have had a Pentax digital SLR for about 12 years now.
    I had a twin lens kit, but my favorite lens is a Sigma 17-70 Macro 2.8

I then borrowed a friend's Nikon D5200 with a 18 - 200 lens, I was most impressed.
    Made my 12 year old Pentax seem like a clunky dinosaur.
    I then saw on line the D5300 and like the idea of GPS and built in Wifi.
    There was also recording video at 1080 at 60 frames feature.

LOZ What would you recommend that was not a digital SLR?

Thankyou
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:49 am

12 years is a long time in digital years, that must be the first Pentax digital.
    A lot has changed in that time as you will have seen from using your friends camera.

Kit lenses have come a long way as well. They still carry a stigma from the earlier versions but they do a good job these days.
    Does you friend have kit lenses as well that you could try out.

All super zooms like the 18-200's mentioned will have weak spots in their zoom range, certain focal lengths will have extra distortion and or sharpness drop off.
    If the convenience of a super zoom appeals to you, do plenty of reading on the options available to see if these focal lengths fall in areas you would use a lot.

Personally I think two kit lenses would give more consistent results.

Perhaps look for a substitute for the Sigma 17-70 Macro 2.8 instead of the kit 18-55 and decide how much you previously used the Pentax tele kit zoom as to weather it is worth spending more than the cost of the Nikon kit tele zoom.
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:34 am

From my experience, the 2 kit lenses are better than the 18-200. I started with 18-55 & 55-200 then, because I was going to travel and did't want to swap lenses on the go, I got the 18-200. While very versatile, towards 200 the kit gave me way better sharpness than the super zoom like Doug mentioned. Plus is quite big and heavy. I decided to get rid of the zoom and stick with primes: 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8. Great lenses, fast and sharp. But I still wanted a zoom :D so I got the Sigma 17-70mm f 2.8-4 which is superior to the kit lenses and the super zoom. A lot of trouble on my part. So you need to know what you need before spending too much.

For video the DSLRs are not that good, especially Nikon. You need to use it in live view where focus is terrible. If video and wifi is important maybe a m4/3 Panasonic system is a better choice. The video is superior, you have wifi and can use the GPS from the phone via wifi to tag pictures. The kit lenses are quite decent from what I read and you end up with a smaller, lighter package. For stills D5300 will be far a better choice.

Just my 2c
    C & C , PPOK welcome
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:38 am

The D5300 is a nice Dslr. The 24MP will out resolve most lenses costing less than $3000. and the sharp < $1000 lenses are primes.

The the sigma 17-70 is a really good lense.. I am surprised that you thought that the 18-200 was
    better. Maybe its just the range that impressed you? or maybe you were comparing it to your
    old pentax image quality?.

If you liked the range then there is a new Nikkor 18-300 that will cover your whole range in one lense.
    I am not sure how sharp it is bec it has not yet been tested by the main review web sites.

I have had the 18-200 for a long time too .. I still use it with my D610 and my D7000 and
    also the Nikon1 V1.

The Nikkor 18-140 is the sharpest nikkor superzoom at the moment.
    I use it more than my 18-200 now bec its just so sharp and the Bokeh is a lot better than any
    other Nikon kit lenses. I mainly use the 18-200 now on the my Nikon1V1 and use the 18-140
    on my D7000 and D610.

If you like sharp lenses the best DX zoom at the moment is the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 !! but the range is limited.

Re the 70-300, Note that the non VR G version is not good. its in the running for the worst nikkor lense
    ever ! :-) The 70-300 VR is good :-)

BTW what is your budget and what type of photography do you like?

The new Pentax DSLRs are pretty good too ! its got some very interesting sensor
    movement technology eg : Vibration compensation. and variable AA. and astro
    tracking.. You should consider upgrading within the Pentax family.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • Bigfoot1966
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Bigfoot1966 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello All,

Thankyou for your replies.

I am glad to hear the twin lens kits have a better reputation now.

12 years ago when I bought the twin lens kit for the pentax it was quite average.

I think I will buy the D5300 with the twin lens kit and then buy another Sigma 17-70 f2.8 macro later down the track.

I have seen adapters that will fit my Pentax mount lenses to the Nikon mount.

I am aware that you lose the motorised auto focus, but do you lose any quality?

I have a Sigma 170-500 that I would like to use on the rare occasion.

Thanks

Regards
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:24 pm

If the adapter has glass in it for infinity focus you loose an f stop worth of light or more and some clarity is sacrificed as there is another lens it is going through that is more than often not really quality glass.

there seems to be several adapters on the market and as I can see both glassed and non glassed my assumption is that you need the glass to get infinity focus,( I could be wrong though )

GLASSED?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENTAX-PK-K- ... 368&_uhb=1

NO GLASS?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-K-PK- ... f55&_uhb=1

They both claim infinity focus so maybe there is some nikon mount differences ( I know nothing of them )

My pentax k mount to canon EF/EFS is chipped so it gives a f1.4 value to the camera instead of f 0.0 and I think it also give af confirm so the lens/adapter can be used in several menu modes or without enabeling "no lens shutter operation" in the canon's menus

Im still new to this stuff so I am more than likely wrong on some stuff!!!!

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Check out the mirror less options, plenty there as well, but the two big guys have their pants down in that department.

Olympic do some sweet primes and zooms.

Fuji are killing it at the moment, same size sensor, half the body weight, great glass.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am

Eden wrote:If the adapter has glass in it for infinity focus you loose an f stop worth of light or more and some clarity is sacrificed as there is another lens it is going through that is more than often not really quality glass.

there seems to be several adapters on the market and as I can see both glassed and non glassed my assumption is that you need the glass to get infinity focus,( I could be wrong though )

GLASSED?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENTAX-PK-K- ... 368&_uhb=1

NO GLASS?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-K-PK- ... f55&_uhb=1

They both claim infinity focus so maybe there is some nikon mount differences ( I know nothing of them )

My pentax k mount to canon EF/EFS is chipped so it gives a f1.4 value to the camera instead of f 0.0 and I think it also give af confirm so the lens/adapter can be used in several menu modes or without enabeling "no lens shutter operation" in the canon's menus

Im still new to this stuff so I am more than likely wrong on some stuff!!!!

cheers eden

Had a look at the "no glass" adapter .. its for attaching to the Nikon1 mirrorless system and not the DSLR. so it wont work with a D5300.
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:59 am

Bigfoot1966 wrote:Hello All,

Thankyou for your replies.

I am glad to hear the twin lens kits have a better reputation now.

12 years ago when I bought the twin lens kit for the pentax it was quite average.

I think I will buy the D5300 with the twin lens kit and then buy another Sigma 17-70 f2.8 macro later down the track.

I have seen adapters that will fit my Pentax mount lenses to the Nikon mount.

I am aware that you lose the motorised auto focus, but do you lose any quality?

I have a Sigma 170-500 that I would like to use on the rare occasion.

Thanks

Regards

the 17-70 2.8-4.0 is a replacement for the kit lense so it seems pointless to me to get both that and the 18-55 .. the new version of the 17-70 is better on the 70mm end than the old version but the wide end is worse(actually which version do you have? there are 3 versions) . instead of getting the twin lens kit can I suggest that you consider the 18-140. it is really a very good kit lense optically.

I am wondering why you seem to be dismissing the Pentax DSLRs. They're a really good option for a person that already has pentax lenses. Their sensors are rated better than nikon's. and the in Camera Vibration compensation is a boon for old lenses that you have. esp that long lens!