please have a shot at this for me
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 am

IMG_2469 (3) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

I cannot for the life of me get the green of the copper in the port hole and the depth of the varnished wood with the contrast still in the air duct.

eden

will post link to full size image
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: please have a shot at this for me

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:25 am

Eden wrote:I cannot for the life of me get the green of the copper in the port hole and the depth of the varnished wood with the contrast still in the air duct.

Eden, do you have access to working on layers? If you can, use masks to isolate the separate things for individual treatment so they all do what you want. Just a thought... I have them every now and then... :oops:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:35 am

IMG_2469 (orrig) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

the link gives the full image if it helps

I am still using windows editor as i honestly have not had time to play with lightroom or photoshop and I have them both on disc.

Im honestly not there yet!

:bruised:

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • philwillmedia

by philwillmedia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:37 am

Not sure I completely understood what you wanted, but is this something close?
    9758972815_ae0efcf766_b.jpg
    Regards,
    Phil

2011 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Accredited Photographer
    2009 Catch Fence Photo of the Year | 2008, 2009 & 2010 SA Rally Photographer of the Year

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 am

Your getting the colour Phil that Im after for this capture but the way your shots post seems to loose clarity (and a few others that embed photos also view this way for me ?)

if you have a flickr account or something similar could you try posting it through there as a comparison for me. (please)

or actually Im wondering if i need to get a new monitor this week as this old Acer V233hl is starting to vary quality of image depending on the size of the image as I see it .

Thanks as the colour is there !!!

eden
    Last edited by Eden on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 am

Even my first edit lost heaps of image quality on the first take

or maybe I'm looking too hard

:dug:

eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 am

looking back I have noticed anything under 170-180kb on the 800 view comes in crappy and slightly fuzzy for its size

how does the kb vary for an image the same view size on different sites ?

eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • philwillmedia

by philwillmedia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 am

Sorry mate, I'm not posting any images other than my own on to my flickr (or any other hosting) site.
    Tried to upload the original edit but it was too big so had to lower the resolution meet the forum requirements.

All I did was tweaked the curves and used the dodge & burn tool to lighten the dark area of the air intake.
    Regards,
    Phil

2011 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Accredited Photographer
    2009 Catch Fence Photo of the Year | 2008, 2009 & 2010 SA Rally Photographer of the Year

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 am

Eden wrote:I cannot for the life of me get the green of the copper in the port hole and the depth of the varnished wood with the contrast still in the air duct.

Have had a stab at it Eden. I went a bit deeper than Phil with the verdigris green and the richness of the door, dunno if that was what you were after.

If you click on this picture, you'll get taken to my photobucket, where if you continue hitting the bloody magnifying glass symbols, eventually you will get it at full size. :roll:

It's put on a bit of weight, being that it is now a 9 MB size and it's slightly softer in places after I ran it through a very soft de-noise filter. The version appearing here is a 1024pixel high version.

Cheers mate.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 pm

That one has come up a treat John , thanks

the definition around the port hole was going as I was doing stuff and the door and pipe were merging to one colour ,

I like this version , what programme did you use to edit it lightroom or PS ( so I can open my saved version )

thanks heaps !
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Eden wrote:I like this version , what programme did you use to edit it lightroom or PS ( so I can open my saved version )

thanks heaps !

I did this in photoshop, but what's in my photobucket is a jpeg at full size. The .psd (photoshop) file is 182MB, too big to post somewhere. The majority of work was selective colour adjustments, selective contrast for the funnel interior, sharpening and then the de-noise applied to the white areas.

You're welcome Eden.

Are you shooting in RAW? If you shoot and edit in RAW, you don't deteriorate anything as it's performed in a non-destructive environment. If your computer can handle either Lightroom or Photoshop, get it or them on and start using it or them. It can make all the difference to a picture coming to life. It can't turn dung into platinum, a badly framed or timed picture will always remain that way, believe me, I have plenty of them! Be aware that all RAW files are soft when you first view them, it freaked the hell out of me the first time I saw it for myself. :oops:

If you are unsure about the colour balance of your monitor, here's a basic online tool, to help get you heading towards a balanced setting. Try setting your monitor back to neutral for all settings and go from there.

Online LCD Monitor Balance

Hope this helps you a little.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 pm

The Lightroom approach would be similar to Plays with Light.

The port hole green could be tweaked with the green selective colour saturation.

The door and the air duct are likely to share too much common colour to not effect one while changing the other by using selective colour saturation.
    For this in Lightroom requires using the adjustment brush, which can be a bit of a pain particularly with a mouse to paint in the door area inside the lines and separate that area for localized adjustment.

Lightroom does a reasonable job of auto mask with the adjustment brush if the surroundings of the area you want to mask are sufficiently different.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 pm

I did forget to mention that for all the changes I did, each was masked in a separate layer. So when I tweaked the colours of the door and the portholes, they were on separate layers with just the area being treated getting affected for each. For the porthole, I played with Green, Blue and Cyan colours. For the door I think it was Red, Magenta and Yellow. Sorry for overlooking that piece to the jigsaw.