Am hoping for ideas...??
    Sillybilly114
    Cadet
    Cadet

Am hoping for ideas...??

by Sillybilly114 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Here is a photo I took at Coolum in Jan with all that bad weather/flooding. It is straight out of the camera. I have limited Post Processing available to me and I was wondering if it can be made to look better then it is if that makes sense!! If anyone wants to have a play I would really appreciate it!

If it's just a dodgy photo, not interesting etc just let me know! I feel like it could look pretty good. I know there is a dot in the top right hand corner, think that's from dirt on my lens but didn't notice at the time as I was busy trying to protect my camera from all the saltwater spray etc!

*Learner tags attached!!*
    PPOK- the more the better :D
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:22 pm

looks like a dust bunny on the sensor to me at top right
    rather than the lens
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Big waves !

:( Hmmm.. I dunno .. Dont think there is too much in this pic.. I think it may be one of those "you had to be there" pics :D
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • KLM

by KLM » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:36 am

I agree with HF - Nice picture but not too much of a subject or point of interest to work with. I've had a quick play if you want it just for the memories but don't know how to post an image up! (new to forum)

K

[/img]
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:56 am

You really do not have much to start with SillyBilly. The water is not that clean and the light not that good. You could play around with levels If you were able, and I am sure that it could be improved a little.
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

www.oneputtphotographics.com
    http://oneputt.redbubble.com/

Re: Am hoping for ideas...??

by Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Sillybilly114 wrote:If it's just a dodgy photo, not interesting etc just let me know! I feel like it could look pretty good.

Well, sorry, I'm with you on this one, I'm sure the moment was exciting with the big surf etc but the photo does not really pop or excite.
    Sillybilly114
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Sillybilly114 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks for all your comments- I needed to know if it was a good photo or not image wise. I guess I got a bit carried away with how the surf looked to me (as I was there) I needed the fresh eyes of all of you!

I have since found a few others which have more interest from that day. Well I think they do but they are still very much a begginners photo. Ahh well practise makes perfect!

Thanks again guys!
    *Learner tags attached!!*
    PPOK- the more the better :D
  • KLM

by KLM » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:33 pm

I think THE hardest thing to do is look at your own photos without the emotion and I'm not sure anyone can. You see if very differently when it's your own.....

Someone once told me to shoot, then not look at them for 6 months so you have fogotten most of the emotion envolved - too impatient though!

Is there somewhere generic that people upload photos to for linking or posting images here? I can then post up what I did for you anyway!

K
    Kristine65
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Kristine65 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 pm

I use Image Shack http://my.imageshack.us/ If you want to find your uploads again you should register and keep the email they send you forever :D
    Krissy
    PPOK
    8^)
  • KLM

by KLM » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks Krissy - ok let's try this!

Original waves were a little blown out too.

K
    GT

by GT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:52 am

I like the added drama of the high contrast "moon light" approach and the rule of thirds crop. The corner vignetting is more obvious now - this would be my next adjustment.
  • KLM

by KLM » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi GT,

Didn't even realise 3rds rule; I don't actually apply that rule - I've always been taught to remove information that is unnecessary to the image or that takes the viewer away from what we are wanting them to look at - even looked afterwards & thought more should have come off the top.

In regards to the vignetting - this has been intentionally added with a curves layer to draw the eye to the centre of the image into the waves (as this is our point of focus for our viewer or what message we are trying to send).

K