Childs Play
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Childs Play

by Plays with Light » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

I went to the State Library of SA today, with a couple of images in mind from the Mortlock Wing, but on the way up the stairs, I spotted this scene or vignette amongst all the stuffy collars and security guards on patrol. Something about the scene really plucked my heart-strings and I hope I have managed to convey a little of the quirk that I found in it.

Looking at the image now, I see all manner of subtle parallels to our very traditional and white collar history. The red, white and blue of the furniture set, the blue chair being so precisely placed and the red one being off centre and off angle. There is also the light illuminating the pencil bucket. The creativity amongst all the knowledge in the library.

Have at it! I'm a thick-skinned fella and would appreciate the feedback. Have I managed to convey any of what I saw and see in it? What do you see in it?

Huge thanks in advance,
    Alex.

ImageChilds Play by Alexander ., on Flickr
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Childs Play

by beeb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Just saw this on Flickr, before jumping over here. Stunning. Super-high quality in concept and execution. The most notable thing for me was the link between the children's pencils and the classical artwork behind them, a sort of "what children can develop into" theme, but as you say - there is many layers to this. Superb.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:47 pm

beeb wrote:Just saw this on Flickr, before jumping over here. Stunning. Super-high quality in concept and execution. The most notable thing for me was the link between the children's pencils and the classical artwork behind them, a sort of "what children can develop into" theme, but as you say - there is many layers to this. Superb.

Thanks, Tim. The security guards weren't too happy with me laying on the ground to get the shot! Must have been a special event on some where this morning, the place was crawling with guards.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Nice work Alex.
    Your separation from the camera has not dulled your eye at all.

You have the formal surroundings, the formal arrangement of the furniture and the formal composition, with this riot of colour beautifully picked out in the light.
    The pencils are also the only break for the horizontal and vertical adding to their playful non conformist association.

The chairs look square and stuffy and I imagine them being a bit bemused by what they are looking at.

Just one thought having studied the image for a while, it would be nice if the red chair was pushed in and facing square on like the blue one to take the formality aspect of the image up another level.

I need to do the State library one of these days. I've seen pictures of how beautifully it is, but I have yet to make the trip to go inside.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:21 am

Awesome shot.

that is possibly my favourite of all yours that I have seen.

you must be chuffed with the result.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:24 am

Plays with Light wrote:..... Must have been a special event on some where this morning, the place was crawling with guards.

No, they just heard you were in town :wink:

I'd frame it & send it in to them to hang on the wall where that other piece is.
    Yeah, I reckon it's that good !!!
    David
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:55 pm

DJT wrote:
    Plays with Light wrote:..... Must have been a special event on some where this morning, the place was crawling with guards.

No, they just heard you were in town :wink:

I'd frame it & send it in to them to hang on the wall where that other piece is.
    Yeah, I reckon it's that good !!!

It must be the sketchy beard and facial piercings! :lol:

Thanks, David, high praise indeed.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Eden wrote:Awesome shot.

that is possibly my favourite of all yours that I have seen.

you must be chuffed with the result.

I'm really glad you enjoy it, Eden. I think it's my most personal image yet, who knows, I may even start aiming the lens at people one day! :shock:

And yes, I am well chuffed with it.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Doug wrote:Nice work Alex.
    Your separation from the camera has not dulled your eye at all.

You have the formal surroundings, the formal arrangement of the furniture and the formal composition, with this riot of colour beautifully picked out in the light.
    The pencils are also the only break for the horizontal and vertical adding to their playful non conformist association.

The chairs look square and stuffy and I imagine them being a bit bemused by what they are looking at.

Just one thought having studied the image for a while, it would be nice if the red chair was pushed in and facing square on like the blue one to take the formality aspect of the image up another level.

I need to do the State library one of these days. I've seen pictures of how beautifully it is, but I have yet to make the trip to go inside.

Thank you, Doug, for the comment and the reaction.

I'm still ambivalent about the uniformity of everything in the frame, time will tell for me. I will go back very soon and do another with everything square for comparison. Hopefully with the same fresh light from the skylight hitting the table top, fingers crossed.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:12 pm

Plays with Light wrote:
    Thank you, Doug, for the comment and the reaction.

I'm still ambivalent about the uniformity of everything in the frame, time will tell for me. I will go back very soon and do another with everything square for comparison. Hopefully with the same fresh light from the skylight hitting the table top, fingers crossed.

Yes there is a danger of crossing the line and making it look staged, or shifting the focus of interest.
    Right now it just works, and that can be an inexplicable thing at times. My suggestion could well be over thinking it.
    Always something to be learned though by fiddling with the balance, if the opportunity presents itself..