photo and frame
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

photo and frame

by trac44 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:14 am

I'd like some criticism of the photo in the context of what I was trying to show.
    These hay bales were big; perhaps four times more so than those one normally sees, and I wanted to show their size. I did not want anything else in the shot to give it perspective (like a car or person) but was hoping the surrounds and the dirt farm road in front might do it. I really can't tell if I achieved my aim, because having seen them "in the flesh" makes me view the photo with their size in mind.
    300mm on C size sensor.

I would also appreciate some comment and criticism on the frame and titleing styles. I like simple things (no comments on that please). :oops:
    Last photo I put here attracted a comment about the drop shadow not having enough white behind it, and I hope I have addressed this now.
    I keep in mind that the 800 pixel wide size limit (which seems to be the generally accepted maximum size in most forums) means smaller photos if one uses wider frames.
    TIA

Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK
    wulos
    Cadet
    Cadet

by wulos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:50 am

For mine - attaining a good feel for scale will always be a bit difficult when you have no reference size to compare against. Possibly shooting with the roadway, rather then across it would have helped more with providing a scale cue. Alternatively shooting from as low as possible - ground level may have helped to emphasis this as well. Unsure if shooting from the middle of the road a few steps to the right was an option or not - would have helped close the balestacks in on one another, helping to fill the frame with more hay & reducing the shadow impact.
    The image also feels like the white balance is a little off in it as well - tis a bit magenta / redish.
    In regards to the framing it is almost there but personally would have kept the title clear of the shadow & provided a bit more white - especially down the rhs.
    Tis a nice basis for a good shot.
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:36 am

The drop shadow is completely distracting - white border left, white border top, white border bottom, dark border right, in fact look away from the screen and look back, do it several times and all you are drawn to is the drop shadow on the right side.

The font you are using is competing with your image - in both style and size - choose another more subtle font and a more subtle colour.

Put some space between the writing and your image.

Try some different angles to give the impression of size, shoot later in the day or earlier, the shadows are too short and hard.

Your ideas and approach are sound but your execution needs more consideration.

I don't know your level of skill so forgive me if I am too hard.

Get back out there and kick some bottom.

cheers
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

by trac44 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Thanks gents, have taken on board what you say. Yes , I probably should have been looking more "along" than "accross" the road. Unfortunately I can't try again with different time of day or positioning. I was on the road North and passed there at that time of day. The bales are now 2,000 km behind me. :oops:
    Thanks also for the criticism of the frame. After your comments, I did see that the frame was competing with (perhaps overpowering?) the photo.
    Here's a couple with the frame modified slightly. Same font, but smaller and more subtle colour. One with narrower drop shadow, and one plain white background.
    Please make more comment.
    Just for interest. I have since learnt from an old cocky up here that these are known as "one ton bales". Presumably, that means a ton of hay in each! The stack in the photo is considerably taller than a suburban house.

Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Norm I'm a long way from an expert, but I reckon the road needs to go
    David
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

by trac44 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks David. Probably closer to an expert than me. :oops: I agree that the foreground is a waste of space as far as looks go, but I was trying to get some scale without using the "normal" props like a person or a car.
    Perhaps most of the road could go? Just leaving enough to show size. As Wulos said, a different angle more "along" the road might have given a better sense of scale.
    I'll keep trying. What do you think about the frames? Ken pointed out that they needed change.
    Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Norm, I think just the drop shadow frame is fine for an image.........just don't use the extension around the drop shadow.

Personally I think the road has to stay to give some idea of scale. Like others have said, just something would have been good to give us an idea of scale.
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

by trac44 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Steve Lockyer wrote:Norm, I think just the drop shadow frame is fine for an image.........just don't use the extension around the drop shadow.

Not sure what you're meaning there Steve. :? I am a bit slow sometimes. :oops:
    I currently do that by dropping the shadow, then reducing the canvas size to get rid of most of the extension, while anchoring the image to the top to make room for the title.
    Does that make sense?
    Would that be your suggested procedure, or more importantly, your suggested result?
    Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 am

to get scale have you considered PSing a cow :roll: :wink:

OK I'll go now

In regards to the frame why don't you just do a simple very thin black border as opposed to the drop shadow
    David
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:29 pm

My mistake I thought my one did not leave the white extention :oops: , this is my border, I just don't use the caption at the bottom of the image.

• fillum

by fillum » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:36 pm

DJT wrote:to get scale have you considered PSing a cow
    I've heard that New Zealanders often carry inflatable sheep for such situations :D

Norm, it's going to be difficult to get a sense of scale shooting with a 300mm as the perspective will be fairly 'flat', even if you get down low. Getting in close and low with a wide-angle will give an impression of height, but even that might not help much in showing the largeness of the bales. I know you said you didn't want anyone in the pic but I think that an 'ambiguous' figure would have helped with the scale without taking away from the image. Maybe someone partially hidden behind the left stack of bales or in the deep shadows on the right, maybe slumped down with a hat across their face as if they have just spent a hard day in the field.

I like drop-shadow frames, but I don't think they work very well with text, particularly if the text extends into the shadow area. As you have some 'empty' space at the bottom of the image, an option here might be to include the text over the bottom of the road and then use a drop-shadow as well (although you might need to alter the text colour).

Regarding shadow size, my rule-of-thumb is that the white outer border (blank canvas) is at least as wide again as the shadow part. (In other words, the shadow only comes half-way across the blank white canvas part.

The revised text colour is good - generally if you pick a tone from the image it will work well, and it doesn't need to be the dominant colour.

Cheers.
    Phil.
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

by trac44 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks Phil. Seems I might have got the border somewhere near acceptable. The paler text colour is from the shot, and I have used a much narrower shadow.
    I need to forget that shot (because I can't re-do it) and concentrate on future stuff.
    Maybe I am trying too hard with the border thing; putting effort into the wrong area?
    Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Good to see that you have got past those really heavy frames Steve. :D

With a new CS3 (on a Mac) I now have to go looking for new frames myself (too lazy to make my own) :lol:
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

www.oneputtphotographics.com
    http://oneputt.redbubble.com/