Critics Corner
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

Critics Corner

by Steve Lockyer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 am

I have not posted up an image for a while so this is from a make-up test shoot. I thought I'd throw it in the Critique section so you can have a good go at it :lol:

Last edited by Steve Lockyer on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Walter Glover

by Walter Glover » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:42 am

You've got me stumped Steve,

I love it and I can see where and how it would be used but there are just some things that I find unnerving. But then I don't know if they would break the mystique of the shot.

I feel that perhaps the shoulder and the palm are a bit bright and distrating in different ways. The shoulder because it overpowers the light areas of the face by being greater in mass and more even in tone - it dominates the shot. And the palm because it is the focal point of the shot but there is nothing there. No detail and no object of interest (like some powder being blown, or a bubble or a leaf or a dribble of blood).

But as far as the face is concerned I love the treatment. Maybe I would like a tad more texture or detail to the hair.

All in all a shot with a lot of potential. And such a joy to see someone venturing down the road less travelled in terms of composition, lighting and mood.

Well done.
    photoboy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by photoboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:21 am

I really like this - but think it works better if you flip it around (right to left).

This does of however highlight the fact that the hand is a little too bright and the fingers unnervingly long :?

PC
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    "chance" favours the prepared mind ...
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks Walter and Photoboy.

I really try to CC my own stuff and thats probably why I don't post much because I think it can be rubbish, however like you guys I know some of the technical flaws but I really liked the image.

Walter I could always PP in something to the shot to give it more meaning like a bubble etc.

photoboy, I am interested in the flip around??
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm

No image there for me Steve - probably saved you a good hammering.. :D
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 pm

David Anderson wrote:No image there for me Steve - probably saved you a good hammering.. :D

Fixed Boss.........my host is having server maintenance.