Gove Harbour Panorama
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

Gove Harbour Panorama

by dm_td5 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:19 pm

I'd really like some feedback on this pano.

Click to enlarge (large ~5MB)

My main concerns are the actual composition as I think I should have got some beach in the foreground and also the dark banding I'm having trouble blend out (slightly to the right of centre). The pano's a 38 shot merge using a pano rail and is only cropped top and bottom by a few pixels, so heaps of overlap to play with if I need to.

Of course if you think the whole thing is rubbish and doesn't work please say so.
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:59 pm

The dark band towards the centre of the image was possibly caused by your exposure altering in the shots for that reigon. That's a pity because you appear to have some brightly coloured boats there which I think would look quite good, especially with the dark sky in the background. They may be worth another trip back there.

You could try to adjust your levels to try to get a better tone, it looks a little dull at the moment.

I'm not sure the area lends itself to a pano but there are certainly plenty of interesting parts there, like the industrial area to the left, and the boats of course.

Dale
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:09 am

Thanks Dale, exposure was all set on manual and not touched. It's almost like I had my CPL filter on, but I didn't :?

I've got to go back and get another couple of shots of the wharf area on the right so I'll try again.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:09 am

I'm curious as to how big your original file is, dimension wise. 38 exposures seems to be quite a lot given the height of the pano. Is it possible you have some overlap in the area where you're getting the dark band, enough so that you can choose some lighter exposures and leave out the darker ones?

I know I did one recently and was horrified to find one exposure was out of focus for some reason. Going back to do it again wasn't an option but fortunately I left enough overlap to be able to remove the fuzzy one without leaving a gap in the pano.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:39 pm

Pixel dimensions are somewhere around 28,000 x 3,700. There is considerable overlap as I've found this the best way to combat wave movement.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look as there is 50-70% overlap.