Cathryn
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

Cathryn

by Fusionize » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 pm

Well, I will start by saying I did not take this photo, I was sent 200 meg of raw files to play with. Goal was, girly wanted glamour/pretty style. Having never really done anything serious(apart from a terrible version of my mrs) I figured was a good chance to give it a shot.

So...here it is.

1st version is with Colour eyes...no idea why. 2nd version is without. Any tips on better ways to process these would be greatly appreciated. For interest sake, here is a link to the original image i was sent(resized only) http://drmphotography.net/hosts/orig.jpg
    Thanks to avkomp for giving me the balls to actually post them.

Last edited by Fusionize on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Firstly think you have done really well from where you started, I like #2 better but think you could brighten a bit more and add some more punch
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 am

I'd prbably start by going true B&W and not the sepia like tones you have here. The B&W will make the blue stand out more. The real problem you have is that this is not a portrait and so the eyes are very very small compared to the rest of the frame.

JC
    John C.
    **PPOK**
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:43 am

Sir Tristram wrote:I'd prbably start by going true B&W and not the sepia like tones you have here. The B&W will make the blue stand out more. The real problem you have is that this is not a portrait and so the eyes are very very small compared to the rest of the frame.

JC

Cheers mate, will give that a shot. Its been bloody hard to get anything decent to work with, everything was taken in this style(full body). I know just working on the photos has really shown me why composition is so important on human models.
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:50 am

IMHO; the girl may have seen a selective colour image that she liked and thought that would look cool. Talk her out of it!! :wink: The selective colour, no matter what other colour tones you have look like they are trying to draw your attention away from a mistake in the image.

If she still wants a selective colour try and keep it to about 10% or below on a layer and see how that looks.

With the composition, the model looks like she is doing a walk thru the frame and she is on her way out the other side, which I kind of like as it's quirky. You could crop out most of the image to her right and do a small canvas extension on her left so it becomes so off balance it looks like you shot it that way on purpose.

I actually don't mind what you have done after you look at the original frame. Well done.

Hope it helps
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 am

Cheers Steve, some great suggestions, thanks :)
    leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

by leek » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:51 pm

That's pretty good processing Fusionize... The original shot makes her look gaunt... you've improved it a lot...
    The only thing that spoils it for me is something not in your control - the back of her hand straight on to the camera... it always makes a girl's hand look enormous... If she has any shots with the hands side on, that may make for a more pleasing result..
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:50 pm

The original looks like it was shot in a changing room.

To be honest if you hadn't said the first had coloured eyes I would never have noticed, but it is a small image. I like the new background but the top of her hair seems to be fading into it. No doubt you intended that but it's always been one of those little niggly things for me.

All up though a pretty good job.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.