Iconic Sydney Image?
    mowog

Iconic Sydney Image?

by mowog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:27 am

My first trip into Critics Corner. Be Kind...

I went to Sydney recently for a number of reasons. One of those being to try and capture an iconic Sydney Landscape.

I setup for this shot just before sunset on McMahons Point. A couple of freezing hours and around 100 shots. Those shots range from almost daylight through to this shot.

The Camera is a Canon EOS 50D with a Canon 10-22 Zoom. All mounted on the trusty tripod.

This shot is a 5 image panorama which was processed in Photoshop Elements 8. The original RAW files were used for the process. The only other PP work was a crop and a minor rotation of the image.

***Note*** You will see banding in this image due to limitation of the online resolution. The sky in the full res version has an even blue to black transition.

Did I manage capture an iconic Sydney image?

Some Exif data. Note this is a 5 image panorama.

Camera Canon EOS 50D
    Exposure 8
    Aperture f/4.0
    Focal Length 19 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Flash Off, Did not fire
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:44 pm

A nice enough image although it is probably a little too small here to really look at (that happens a lot with panorama's I find).

Some general suggestions perhaps...

- Given you're shooting relatively long shutter speeds anyway you could probably have afforded to stop down the lens to a smaller aperture (like f/8 or f/11) to ensure you get a sharper image and greater depth of field

- Whilst it's hard with Panos I know (where you kind of want the horizon in the middle to take the shots) - however if you've shot this with wider vertical frames and have more original image above or below the horizon you might have wanted to crop the final image so the horizon isn't smack across the middle (i.e. more sky or more water - whichever is more interesting)
    mowog

by mowog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I considered F11 the exposure time per frame at iso 100 was around 30 seconds. I thought 30seconds might have been to long.

This is the first time I have shot a night panorama.

I felt a higher iso might have introduced noise to the image.

I take your point on vertical shots I will try this out next time.

Many thanks