Street Art
  • tryinghard

Street Art

by tryinghard » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:24 am

Happened across this gem last night and wanted to get some feedback on how I have done...Bower 8mm f3.5 4 sec exposure

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Three minor things I would consider changing (I am non-expert, so just my opinion here...)

1) Would've dragged the chair at the bottom left of the out of the frame, or preferably;

2) ...Framed the image a little closer. IMO the extra space doesn't add to the image, and you'd be better able to make out the detail of the artwork if it was taken closer. (It's also minimise the bright area on the grafitti on the left of the image...)

3) Rotate the image slightly to level it out (it's bugger-all, but I'm OCD about that...), and maybe try croppin off some extra "space" from above the graffiti?

Exposure, colour, and perspective are all nice though, so just being deliberately picky really. Hope that helps, or at least gives you some different things to try out. :)
    CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 am

I think the chair adds to the urban grunge of the image and now that it was pointed out, it is sightly off level. Nice find tho.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.
  • tryinghard

by tryinghard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:31 am

Cheers for the feedback. Here is a different angle cropped- any better ?

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:55 am

On my calibrated monitor each version is similarly dull and lifeless - could do with a kick in the guts to lift the brightness and contrast a tad.

This is a rushed indication of what I mean:

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 pm

I agree with WG on the dull post processing

I think I would have moved the chair as well

Probably putting it upright and into a better position so it is a clear feature of the photo not looking like something you accidently included.

how do you find the Bower 8 mm ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Yes, Dug is absolutely right about the furniture. I had initially chosen not to confuse my message by referring to too many aspects of the pictur but, since he has mentioned it, I will add that by incorporating the chair in an interesting way could change this from a sort of 'record' shot of a wall at dusk into a provocative statement that poses questions and thereby provides entertainment.

Keep up the good work,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • tryinghard

by tryinghard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks guys- really appreciate the feedback ! I have gone back and worked on the exposure and colours in a lot of my photos now. The more feedback I get the quicker I can improve- please be brutally honest, I have a very thick skin.

The chair was left in the original shot as I wanted the photo to be my statement- not just a picture of someone else's.