First victim ?
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

First victim ?

by heartyfisher » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 am

OK I really like this picture but its not doing as well as I hope in my web site. So why is it so..

Sorry if its too large but I think for critique it may need to show it in full? Let me know and I will make it smaller...

EDIT: Made the big picture a link as suggested and the image is below.. Ok looking for great comments !

EDIT 2: Ok just remembered the rules here.. I am supposed to start with my own critique.. so here goes..

* I like the the over all composition and the colours. Although I warmed it up alot from the original out of the camera shot. The blue sky and the blue ocean reflected too much blue on the image and I took that out..
    * Like the details in the feathers of the heron as well.. and the "pose"
    * The bokeh is really bad on this lens 18-200vr you can see the donut OOF light points just behind the heron.. it really distracts after a while.. but it doesnt seem to effect the first impression..I dont think..
    * I guess I also like the fun I had stalking this bird to get close enough to capture this image..

So whats wrong with this picture? How can I improve?
    http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs13/i/2007/ ... fisher.jpg
    Last edited by heartyfisher on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Avalon
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Avalon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:48 am

I think this is a great picture as it is, but if I am looking to be critical I would say the only thing that I don't like about it is the dark area of shadow top right which is a little distracting. Maybe cropping the top would be worth considering. BTW I really like the detail of those barnacle shells near his foot. :)
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:19 am

Hearty, I would like to see the image reduced to the rules and regs limit please.
    If you (or any one else for that matter) wants to show a larger image, then by all
    means, supply a link to a larger version.

Going by your reasoning, any one who thought the same would post at any size that they think appropriate.
    We have Rules and Regs for a reason.
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:13 am

but its not doing as well as I hope in my web site.

Are you trying to see this or asking for comments on your web site?

How do you know if it is doing well?

cheers doug

PS nice sharp shot :D
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 am

hearty,

if you need to show it larger,

a link the the bigger one is appropriate
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:09 pm

Dug wrote:
    but its not doing as well as I hope in my web site.

How do you know if it is doing well?

If you look at my sig below you will see a link to my deviant art site.. They provide the ability for other artists to "view" and "favorite" a picture. This picture only has one "Fav" even my UFO has more Favs than this picture and I really like this picture!

BTW I am not the only one here on deviantart.com elfinarts is also there and there may be others as well...
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:32 pm

The very first thing that struck me with this shot was the border, for me it just simply detracts from the main show...
    A simple white background with perhaps a drop shadow would be what I would be looking at.

The second was the bird against the background, colour wise the two just don't seem to harmonize and I find it kinda awkward.
    Perhaps some lightening of the very dark shadows may help a little also.

Compositionally I have no problems with, positioning and sharpness to me are all fine...
    These are just my amateurish thoughts..
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:04 pm

Who knows what goes on out on the web?? :D :D

it is just one of those things I post on Flickr and get good feedback about photos I think are nothing shots and the shots I like are totally ignored.

Become your own judge, listen to what others say but believe in your own opinion.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Colcam
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Colcam » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:29 pm

I think it is great as is and as Dug says, don't worry about what the punters think or do as long as you are happy. I regularly sell photo's that are very average in my view and the great ones often get ignored. There is a magic formula which we hit on once in a while and they always grab every viewer, but that one magic "signature" shot is what we always strive for.

I agree with Bodak on the border. It just ain't right for this image. The top of the photo' could handle a slight crop to below the shadow if you want to. Scroll the screen up a little & see what you think.
    I would be happy to pull it from my camera though. Well done.
    Col
    Photography, The Art of Seeing Not Just Looking
    http://www.frozentime.com.au
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet

by greyko » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Of course it's going to get a poor response on deviantart.
    I see no breasts, kittens, butterflies or fake blood.

The photo looks great to me. Maybe just the slightest bit oversharpened.
    A slightly tighter crop would be nice too, but it's not bad as is.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:40 pm

greyko wrote:Of course it's going to get a poor response on deviantart.
    I see no breasts, kittens, butterflies or fake blood.

The photo looks great to me. Maybe just the slightest bit oversharpened.

You could always photoshop in some Boobs Kittens and fake blood !!! :D

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:44 pm

One tiny nitpick, there is a small spherical highlight in the background just off the curve of the neck. (a tiny circle of light)

It gets my attention every time I look at the photo I would be inclined to clone it out.

Just a personal thing 99.9% of people would probably never see it.

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    johnd
    Cadet
    Cadet

by johnd » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Hearty, my comments:

This is a great shot. The composition is strong. I really like the detail and pastel tones that you can see in the bird's feathers. The border doesn't do the image any favours though. It doesn't need the border, but it especially doesn't need the red line in the border. I'd try it without the red line at least. I'd suggest taking the top 10% - 20% off to get rid of that shaded area. If you also took 10% off the left hand side, the bird's face would be close to the top left thirds position which may make the composition even stronger. The Donuts are a little distracting. Maybe you have sharpened it slightly too much. That may be exagerating the donuts. I think you've got the WB just right.

Cheers
    John
    D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
    http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:01 pm

Well done Hearty for starting of the Critics Corner. Takes some courage to be the first in anything.

JC
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:13 pm

Here's my take:

It's a very nice shot that just has some 'nits' that would improve it that little bit more...

In no particular order:

1) I think the border around the image is distracting. Plain white or black and a little thinner would work better IMO

2) The light in this shot is fairly harsh and those shadows are very dark! Also the lighting is a little 'flat' with not much definition showing in the birds feathers. Not sure what time of day this was taken but maybe having the sun at a lower angle would help with the definition.

3) The bird is looking out and away from you. If it's head was turned slightly inwards it would create more 'eye-contact' and give the viewer a stronger connection. I feel like the bird is ignoring me!

4) You could have gone a little lower to the ground for this one maybe (gotta love lying on sharp rocks!!). IT looks like your lens is angled slightly down at this guy.

Hope they don't sound too harsh... I think it's a great image, but the above points would just bring it up that one more notch!

Paul
    Last edited by NikonUser on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    If I had more gear I'd definately be a better photographer!... Definately!

http://www.AustralianNaturePhotography.com