Being Brave
    VetNurse
    Reporter
    Reporter

Being Brave

by VetNurse » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:56 pm

(Deep breath) Okay, here goes, no holds barred. Give it to me straight folks. These are a couple of projects I've been working on - All are essentially going to be submitted for competition in an Art photography category, and all are very different in approach and treatment.

Edit: The second two images have been removed, after I was gently (and quite rightly) reminded by Sir T about the the guidelines for the Critics Corner. It's a one image post. Thanks John, and sorry.

If you want to see the other two, I've left them as links

http://www.pbase.com/vetnurse/image/86045276.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/vetnurse/image/86045275.jpg

Thanks in advance

Addendum: (to correct my oversight of the guidelines for this section)

For this Gecko and Cricket image, I was trying to achieve an obvious 'nature' shot that was clear in it's meaning/story, with the overall effect being wholly artistic. That is to say a hybrid nature/art image using a clean silhouette, the echo of the scene if you like, to tell the story succinctly and without interference or distraction of dimensional details, but keeping the lovely lines and textures of the leaf.

I used a single modeling light only, no flash, positioned about 60cms above the banana leaf. The fresh leaf was suspended (yay for gaffa tape!) between two lighting stands on a very slight angle, just enough for me to be comfortable shooting upwards. The reason for this is, the leaf-tailed gecko is very sick and I didn't want to stress him on a slippery leaf (he is in rehab with me for a few weeks). The cricket (I have a food colony of them for my frogs and the gecko), had deceased by natural causes - so I carefully glued him with paper glue to the leaf.

As Huey (the Gecko) is very quiet - it was simply a case of positioning him on the leaf in a way that portrayed he was going after the cricket.

I had done several test shots in advance without Huey to check exposure and position and once he was in place, I turned on the modeling light again to take the shot.

Post processing was merely a slight crop to remove some dead space on one side, and a very minor adjustment to levels. As this was a project in monochrome study, I converted it using the channel mixers monochrome setting, plus; reducing red by approx 10%, reducing green by approx 5% and increasing blue by approx 8% to give the tonal range I was looking for.

In reply to Dugs comment about the colour - I agree, I like this image in full colour, but it also works in monochrome (which was the exercise)

To everyone else, thanks for your comments and feedback on this one and the others. I agree with you about the bird - hey, this is how we learn, and that photo was a dud. I'm still undecided about the fog image, it has it's merits as it stands, but I will take your comments on board and continue to explore what this shot can achieve.

Thank you members, you rock!
    Last edited by VetNurse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Just another Camera owner
  • TonyH

by TonyH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Good Luck with the contest!

No 1 for me is the best.

No 2 is a little over watercoloured. I think the background may have had too much noise to originally. If that is the case maybe consider noise ninja before the photoshop filter(s).

No 3 is just too misty for me... maybe a little more detail in the foreground before entering into the mist?

Comments not meant to offend, just suggestions on what I believe may have been the original shots and a manner of processing them.

Love to see the other members opinions... :D

Cheers

Tony
    Last edited by TonyH on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    PP of Images welcome (as long as you tell me your secrets...)
    Yellow Robin
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Yellow Robin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:49 pm

I like the idea of the 1st and am quite taken by the last . Top job on the mist Ruth :) :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. "PPOK" and Comments welcome.
  • shakey

by shakey » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:18 pm

No #1 is striking and by far the best (and its original) No #2 has been done many times before and its oversharpened. No #3..Misty shots can work but this one doesn't grab me.

Go No #1..and good luck with the comp. :) :)
    10fps
    Cadet
    Cadet

by 10fps » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:34 pm

No 1 is best. No 2 I don't like at all & No 3 is almost there. Just a bit to much fog hiding the scenery.
    Say "Cheese" - Cheeeeeese
    Muzza
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Muzza » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:02 pm

I have to agree with the comments already made.
    The first is a stand out and a great image.
    The second is a little overdone for my tastes.
    The last is good but perhaps a little too misty.
    Later,
    Murray
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:29 pm

MMMMM #1 a good shot but why B&W ? A stunning rich green would be much more striking.

#2 sorry I hate it. An OK shot spoiled by overworking in PS At first look it seems out of focus then you notice it is manipulated with a filter that removes any point of focus for the shot, my eye wanders aimlessly with all the confused lines.

#3 originally interesting then I begin to wonder how much of the fog is photoshop, Dark and moody it would make a good background photo but again it has no point of focus or direction.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK